Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Single Carb Suggestions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nor.Cal.914
So I've had a single carb setup lying around for a few years that I attempted to run before and had problems with it. It seemed like there was an issue with the accelerator pump because it would bog at throttle tip in and continue until about 1/4 throttle, then go away and run fine in the higher throttle range. I replaced the accelerator pump and the problem continued so I removed the setup and put it away.

I want to put it back on, but I need a better option for the carb itself. I know it's not a really desirable setup, but I want to make it work. I've looked into some other carburetors and couldn't really find anything that had the same bolt pattern or the throttle linkage in the right location. Do you guys know of a direct bolt-on carb that is available? Please let me know. Thanks!

-Chris
Cap'n Krusty
Suggestions? Buy a boat. Take yourself, the boat, and the single carb setup, out to the middle of a deep lake. Take yourself and the boat back to shore.

The Cap'n
Nor.Cal.914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 26 2013, 03:57 PM) *

Suggestions? Buy a boat. Take yourself, the boat, and the single carb setup, out to the middle of a deep lake. Take yourself and the boat back to shore.

The Cap'n

headbang.gif Thanks for the advice, I know the setup isn't great, but like I said, I want to make it work.
damesandhotrods
Without heat for the intake manifold even with an ideal carb you’re going to have problems. If you’re not going to use fuel injection, let go of the single carb and spend the money for duals.
Spoke
What do you have on the engine now such that the single carb might be better?

The single carb is pretty much the bottom performer of all induction systems for the 914.
Rand
I want to use clay tires. I know it isn't the best idea. But can you let me know the best bolt on options?

Mblizzard
While the single carb will never be great, the one thing that I did learn in my limited single carb experience is that upping the accelerator jet size can greatly improve the performance. I have a 70 that really changed my old single carb. But still the duals are amazing. If you have a weber I have the 70 if you want to try it.
jmill
Long horizontal intake runners and low velocity are the problem with the single carb setup. The fuel drops out of suspension and you end up up with the problem you describe. No real solution to the problem besides throwing too much fuel at it or swapping to duals or FI.
rick 918-S
I'm with the cap'n on this one. There is no solution that will be reasonable short of the anchor method. You end up dumping raw fuel into the cylinders, washing down the cylinder walls and ruining a perfectly good engine. Fuel is expensive and is not a good coolant in the manor described.
mrholland2
Or do what I did and get a Fiat air cleaner, a mopar short snorkel with a heat activated flappy, use a heat riser tube from one of the HEs and go with the single carb. . .

Only issue I'm having is below a half tank of gas. .and that just means I need to relocate the fuel pump or add a second one at the tank. .

Sean
carr914
QUOTE(Nor.Cal.914 @ May 26 2013, 07:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 26 2013, 03:57 PM) *

The Cap'n

but like I said, I want to make it work.

Never going to happen!
Drums66
....Starting with a bad idea...morph's into
a terrible plan? poke.gif

bye1.gif sad.gif popcorn[1].gif
Mblizzard
The sad thing here is that no one has really lead you astray. I know you would like to make it work but I guess the question is what are your expectations of "work"?

Sadly a single carb will never be comparable to a dual or FI application. If you want to make the car run and drive it can be done. But you have to accept the inherent limitations of the design. There are some tips and tricks to try that can help but they come with their own risks.

For my application, the initial hesitation on the throttle was the biggest concern for me. Upping the accelerator pump jet size helped a lot but did not completely eliminate the problem. Was it drivable? Sure but you know it is not the best set up and there is more that can be obtained from the engine. I am not a carb person by any means. I struggled with my single for a long time before replacing it with duals. Still that dual replacement was not an instant perfect solution but compared to a single it is night and day.

So if you are willing to make it work just be sure you are ok with what that means. If you are willing get some jets, mains, and such, play with it until it is the best that you can do. But be prepared for accepting that a single carbs best might not be that great.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.