Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-4 compared to a VW motor of the same year
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CTDan914
How does a 75 914 4 cylinder motor compare to a 75 VW motor? How do they differ if at all?
Dan
smveril
The heads are different. The bus motor has the oil filler tube in a different location. My 76 bus motor has 85 horsepower and 85 ft-lbs trackback torque (measured via a dyno) and my 73 914 2 liter is rated at 95 horsepower.
morph
I put a bus motor in my car to get by for awile.
it had no top end..i had to block off the oil fill at the base of the motor.i also had to drill a new dip stick hole at the top of the block.you can use a type 1 throttle tube that goes though the fan shroud.as a dip stick tube.
CTDan914
cool, good to know. different heads and more HP.

I was wondering what Porsche would have done if anything to make the motor different than a standard VW motor. I cam from a family that had two bugs and I had a 61 Karmann Ghia and this 914 2.0 motor isn't the same but I didn't know how it was different.

Dan
Dave_Darling
The Ghia had a Type I, or possibly a Type III if it was a T3 Ghia. (Very different looking than the standard T1 Ghia.)

The 914 and the later Buses used Type IV engines. Larger, heavier-duty all around than the Type I and Type III.

--DD
CTDan914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 28 2013, 09:03 PM) *

The Ghia had a Type I, or possibly a Type III if it was a T3 Ghia. (Very different looking than the standard T1 Ghia.)

The 914 and the later Buses used Type IV engines. Larger, heavier-duty all around than the Type I and Type III.

--DD

Thanks DD. I very new to the 914 world and have a lot to learn about them.
Bleyseng
Yes, the bus type 4 have a cam that tops out at 4500rpms so trying to rev it is hard. The 914 2.0 has a better cam that wants to rev to 5500rpms.
The 914 2.0l heads are the big difference in making the hp with bigger valves and different plug angle.
nathansnathan
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jun 3 2013, 08:28 AM) *

Yes, the bus type 4 have a cam that tops out at 4500rpms so trying to rev it is hard. The 914 2.0 has a better cam that wants to rev to 5500rpms.

Again, the 914 book says they are all the same cam - they all have the djet cam. All the type 4 buses had the same djet cam, carbed or not, as did all 914's. There may be a mythical "early carb cam" in very early 411's(?) -they are the same other than that. -A lot of misinformation on stock cam specs out there.
aircooledtechguy
The only heads that are different then a VW head are the Porsche 914 2.0L heads. The 1.7/1.8L heads are virtually identical in every aspect, (including valve size), but Porsche's (and 411/412 VWs) were drilled and had nipples installed for head breathers. Buses never had these, but the boss on the rocker box is there in the casting.

Porsche's and the 411/412 VWs also had oil windage trays installed. Buses never did.
patssle
QUOTE(smveril @ May 27 2013, 04:43 AM) *

The heads are different. The bus motor has the oil filler tube in a different location. My 76 bus motor has 85 horsepower and 85 ft-lbs trackback torque (measured via a dyno) and my 73 914 2 liter is rated at 95 horsepower.

What's your engine code?

I have a '76 dual carbs bus motor with a GD engine code.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.