Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another thread on Sway Bars
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisReale
A few interesting points. Dig the pictures of the Smart Racing bar failure ohmy.gif

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....threadid=194089
Brad Roberts
That failure is on the rear of 911. Something we will never experience. The 911's tend to HIT the rear drop links on the ground.

B
Joseph Mills
That tear on the inner body panel at the front strut is pretty scary.

I'm running 911 19mm torsion bars with 22mm swaybar on my 914.

Am I headed down the same road? confused24.gif
ChrisReale
Doubtful. That tear looks like it is because the through-hole was not supported properly.
redshift
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 28 2004, 01:43 AM)
Something we will never experience.

B

laugh.gif No, WE won't, but I'll bet it happens to ME somehow..

Back before there was a place where you could type in conversations 27 hours a day, I used to set my suspension up very wrong, and there was no shock travel... to speak of... unless you count the times I have 'up' dented the hoods on these things, with the shock towers.. rolleyes.gif

You break alot of things when you are an idiot.

M
J P Stein
QUOTE(ChrisReale @ Nov 27 2004, 11:17 PM)
Doubtful.  That tear looks like it is because the through-hole was not supported properly.

This is an area to keep an eye on.

The original front bars had the sheet metal doubled-up in the mount area. The nut plate is not a doubler, IMO. Even if you install the doubler on a car not so equiped, big tires/springs/AR bars were not part of the equation during the design process. This area should part of the inspection process after each AX....or at least inspected often.

All of the 911 rear AR bar failures that I have seen (or heard of till now) are at the body mounts....both aftermarket & OEM installs.

Again, a big honkin' rear AR bar (along with all the other stuff) *may* over stress the cheesy reinforcement/mounts of the 914 set up. Should I ever get an LSD, I'll worry the rear AR bar deal to come up with something.

Let's face it. Most everything we do to these 30 year old cars is overstressing the chassis. All this emphasis the suspension "stuff" overlooks the platform that supports it and I'm as guilty as everyone else. We're living on borrowed time.
Most failures don't happen in a heart beat.....little cracks turn into big ones, then "crunch".....you have a mess. The Mark II eyeball is your best defence.
Eric_Shea
That front failure is what I was trying to warn Mike Allen about in another thread.

911 rear's have been helped substancially by the new 930 butterfly reinforced rear mounts. You can see the mount stayed there but the rear arm snapped.

Mine are the old style and I feel I'm on borrowed time. New factory mounts are $75.00... EACH! Can you say "shoveitupmyasswithoutanylubeplease"? It's fun to own a 911 <_<
ChrisReale
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Nov 28 2004, 09:03 AM)

The Mark II eyeball is your best defence.

Ah, the new model, just in time for the 2005 season laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.