Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil temperature gauge.....is there a definitive thread?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billh1963
The oil temperature gauge on the Zambezi Green car isn't working. I swapped out the gauge with a spare and it's not the gauge.

I checked the harness for continuity and don't see a short so I guess it's down to the sender. This would be a great time to change to a new gauge that indicates actual temperature. A search shows lots of dfferent threads about factory senders/gauges as well as aftermarket options.

Pelican has a VDO gauge and sender:

Pelican Parts

Ebay:

Oil temp gauge

Is there a definitive thread on the options?

pcar916
If you want stock then here's the originality source for me.

http://www.p914.com/p914_gauges_combo.htm

If not then you can go with any number of other options including 911 gauges and sending units or a triple gauge modification.

Good luck.
billh1963
At this point I really just want to replace the center console oil temp gauge...no triple gauges or other "fancy" solutions.

That's a great link explaining the various gauges.
McMark
Here's some other info:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=97987
billh1963
Perfect! Thank you
SKL1
I sent off my OEM gauge with no numbers to North Hollywood Speedometer and they put on a face with numbers and a new sending unit. It's in the mail now coming back. Wanted to keep a OEM look in the center console. Hope it's somewhat accurate!!
eyesright
I got the VDO oil temp gauge from PP. Yes you do need the sender- short- too. The old one -long- doesn't work with the gauge, I found out.

The thing I'd recommend is to calibrate it before you install it. I assume you could drop it in some water heated to boiling temperture -which may vary according to your altitude- or check it with a cooking thermometer or something. Otherwise you 'll always wonder....I'm here to say.

I'm planning on pulling my sender out to test it at the next oil change. If I could borrow a dipstick thermometer I would.

Let us know how it turns out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.