Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opinion on FI vs Carbs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lsintampa
75 914/4 2.0

Car has been sitting under covers for 12 or more years. I don't really know much about when it last ran. Given what I do know, it may have been 20 years or more since it ran.

Car is rock solid - body wise. Longs, floorboards, hell hole, etc. are at most just surface rust. The only rusted through area I could find were minor pin holes in the rear trunk area.

Am I kidding myself by trying to bring life to this thing using the original FI system?

All the parts seem to be in good condition - the ECU shows signs of age, the wiring (for the most part) seems "good enough".

The motor is out - so IF I were to go with a carb setup, now would be the time.

Looking for opinions, and if anyone wants needs a FI system for their 2.0 (just in case I bowl feed the beast).

Thanks,

Len

McMark
I normally hate this response, but...

Search.
rhodyguy
at this point retain the fi and if your fi wiring harness is spent buy a new one from jeff bowlsby. manifold pressure sensors used to be a major stumbling block but with chris folly's diaphram replacement piece that's not so much of an issue either. i think jeff can assist you with that also. those 2 items are cheaper than a used set of carbs that will prob need to be rebuilt not to mention the other carb swap related components and the carb rebuild if you have to send them out.

drain, and clean tank.
replace fuel sock/strainer located in bottom of tank.
replace fuel filter.
replace phenolic gaskets at intakes to head. 2.0 specific.
perform basic/routine tuneup.
replace fuel injector seals, 2 per injector.
save yourself a bunch of grief and plan on all new hoses in the engine compartment.

even with all of the above you're in far, far cheaper than the carb package.
lsintampa
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 28 2013, 01:15 PM) *

at this point retain the fi and if your fi wiring harness is spent buy a new one from jeff bowlsby. manifold pressure sensors used to be a major stumbling block but with chris folly's diaphram replacement piece that's not so much of an issue either. i think jeff can assist you with that also. those 2 items are cheaper than a used set of carbs that will prob need to be rebuilt not to mention the other carb swap related components and the carb rebuild if you have to send them out.

drain, and clean tank.
replace fuel sock/strainer located in bottom of tank.
replace fuel filter.
replace phenolic gaskets at intakes to head. 2.0 specific.
perform basic/routine tuneup.
replace fuel injector seals, 2 per injector.
save yourself a bunch of grief and plan on all new hoses in the engine compartment.

even with all of the above you're in far, far cheaper than the carb package.

Thanks rhodyguy,

Tank just came back from clean / reseal
Have new sock, filter, gaskets, engine hoses, and intake gaskets

Ordering new tunnel lines and injector seals...

We'll give it a whirl and see. I'm a week or two away as it is.. still need to work out exhaust solution at this point.

Thanks again!! beer.gif
r_towle
Well,
I guess it depends upon what you would like to do with the car.
For a weekend cruiser, fix the FI...it will start without a hassle every week.

For a fun car for autox etc...
Fix the FI, it will start and its simple to tune..

Now, if you decide that carbs are just easier for you and you are not in the mood to deal with the FI...that is also cool.

There are a few additional things I would suggest.
These relate to the new fuel mixtures and ethanol.

With all my carbs motors (cars and lawn equipment) I have a fuel shut off beteen the fuel pump and the carbs.
When you are parking it, turn off the shut off and let the motor run till the carbs are empty and the car stalls.

This keeps the fuel from building up in the bowl of the carbs and turning into laquer...which seems to happen fairly easily now.

Or, just start the car every few days, let it warm up to burn off the moisture in the oil...

Now, with the camshaft you have in the car now, you may actually lose performance (I believe that is not true, but stated for the urban legend)
You will experience worse gas mileage.

Aside from that, make the choice based upon what type of system you like to maintain...because both will need tinkering.

rich
Mblizzard
As a person who just purchased new Weber carbs, I would keep the FI. Carbs are fine but a well maintained FI system is better in the long term.

If my car had the FI components on it, I would have never removed a FI system regardless of condition to go with carbs. I think following the steps outlined below would cost much less and give you a better indication of the cars condition than starting out replacing a complete system.
JamesM
The only part of the injection system I can think of that might have an issue from sitting would just be the components that have fuel running through them, injectors, fuel pump. Not a big deal.

Keep the FI
SirAndy
Opinion on FI vs Carbs
Oh boy, he who kicked the hornets nest ...
popcorn[1].gif
lsintampa
At this point, I'm sticking with the FI system.... only concern is getting it running after sitting for so many years.

All my other cars were with carbs - never had much of an issue - except for the chokes (even in Florida) - most wouldn't start until you had enough fuel

In fact, I was going to convert my TR6 to a FI system - that used the existing carb bodies to hold the injectors... interesting set up, but ended up selling it before I had the chance.

jcd914
I would suggest getting the injectors cleaned from the beginning, rather than fighting running issues and find out your injectors are not spraying evenly.

http://witchhunter.com/ has a good rep.

Jim
lsintampa
QUOTE(jcd914 @ May 29 2013, 12:34 AM) *

I would suggest getting the injectors cleaned from the beginning, rather than fighting running issues and find out your injectors are not spraying evenly.

http://witchhunter.com/ has a good rep.

Jim

agree.gif

Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.