Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1974 914 Engine Compartment Originality
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
gcrotvik
Did the factory place a rubber separator (small section of rubber hose) between the torsion bars where they cross to minimize friction between the bars and thus, reduce the possibility of rust in that area?

I have looked at several 914's my year and a few have the separator but most do not. What was original?? My body shop guy put a separator in but I don't know if it's correct/original to my year.

The picture below was taken when the car was disassembled.

Thanks,

Greg

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(gcrotvik @ May 28 2013, 11:31 AM) *

Did the factory place a rubber separator (small section of rubber hose) between the torsion bars where they cross to minimize friction between the bars and thus, reduce the possibility of rust in that area?

I have looked at several 914's my year and a few have the separator but most do not. What was original?? My body shop guy put a separator in but I don't know if it's correct/original to my year.

The picture below was taken when the car was disassembled.

Thanks,

Greg

Yep, should be there. Very small, but functional!
Pat
orthobiz
Agree. It screws into the undersurface and holds the bars apart.

Paul
gcrotvik
Thanks Pat and Paul. Paul, could you take a picture of this part/area of your car? It would help greatly.

Greg
1970 Neun vierzehn
Greg,

Look closely and enlarge the pic.....you will see what you are looking for.

Paul
gcrotvik
Hi Paul,

I think you may have misread my thread? I'm talking about the rear trunk torsion bars in the engine compartment. See my posted picture.

Thanks!

Greg
Pat Garvey
Greg,
I misunderstood also - thought we were talking about the lid.

The lid torsion bars should move away from each other as the lid is rear boot is raised, then come to rest close to each other but not touching when the boot is lowered. Don't if this carried over to later models, but there is a u-shaped structural piece welded in the the center of the rear bulkhead covering the torsion bars (don't see this in your pic, but it may have been removed in the '74s). I don't know for certain, but its purpose may have been to keep the bars in place if a roller broke...?

No rubber snubber on early cars in this location. Mt 72 has not had the rollers replaced (please, please), and the boot raises and lowers with no problem (please, please), and the crossover point still has all paint on the torsion bars. So, it apparently works. Still curious about the deletion of the welded-in u-shaped structure.

I can take pics, but it will be difficult since the car is assembled and that point is tough to view. Will try if any interest.
Pat
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ May 29 2013, 06:53 PM) *

Greg,

Look closely and enlarge the pic.....you will see what you are looking for.

Paul

You need a new rain tray! Push Mark!
gcrotvik
Hi Pat,

Yes, the U tab was removed in 73 and above cars. Not sure the exact date but mid 72 seems to be when most major changes took place.

No need for you to take pictures of your car. The pictures of your car in the Engine Compartment thread show the U tab and no buffer.

Thank you for the help. Hopfully someone with a 73 or 74 will read this thread and can add some insight.

Regards,

Greg

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 30 2013, 03:44 PM) *

Greg,

The lid torsion bars should move away from each other as the lid is rear boot is raised, then come to rest close to each other but not touching when the boot is lowered. Don't if this carried over to later models, but there is a u-shaped structural piece welded in the the center of the rear bulkhead covering the torsion bars (don't see this in your pic, but it may have been removed in the '74s). I don't know for certain, but its purpose may have been to keep the bars in place if a roller broke...?

No rubber snubber on early cars in this location. Mt 72 has not had the rollers replaced (please, please), and the boot raises and lowers with no problem (please, please), and the crossover point still has all paint on the torsion bars. So, it apparently works. Still curious about the deletion of the welded-in u-shaped structure.

I can take pics, but it will be difficult since the car is assembled and that point is tough to view. Will try if any interest.
Pat

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(gcrotvik @ May 30 2013, 05:54 PM) *

Hi Pat,

Yes, the U tab was removed in 73 and above cars. Not sure the exact date but mid 72 seems to be when most major changes took place.

No need for you to take pictures of your car. The pictures of your car in the Engine Compartment thread show the U tab and no buffer.

Thank you for the help. Hopfully someone with a 73 or 74 will read this thread and can add some insight.

Regards,

Greg

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 30 2013, 03:44 PM) *

Greg,

Pat

My 72 is a late production car. The U-tab must have been done away with with the 73 models. Why?
Pat
orthobiz
I have a 74 1.8 liter which is bone stock.

No spacer on the torsion bars. Cell phone pics:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Also, the bars don't touch. Weird how the factory painted them, it looks like they are dusty or something but the orange is not uniform, like it was hastily painted.

Hope this helps.

Paul
gcrotvik
Thank you Paul! I didn't think there was one. I will remove the spacer my body guy added.

My Best!

Greg
orthobiz
One more pic with the big black thingy in front of the bars removed:

IPB Image

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.