Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Different gauges/different years
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TC/914
I need some help.

I just picked up some seat frames/sliders/brackets and got some gauges in the deal as well. There seems to be different gauge bezels, speedos (with 120 and 150 terminal speeds), pointers with aluminum and black centers, and plastic and metal gauge holders/dash inserts.

Would anyone know (or have a link to someone/someplace) which gauge, bezel, dash insert design and such went with which year cars?

Any help would be great. Thanks!

TC
morph
I could be wrong, not an expert. The ones with black centers I think are the LE gauges. The gauges from 70-71 are 120 mph, and the 72-76 gauges are 150 mph

HIEDI
TC/914
Cool,

What about the differences in the gauge bezels/surrounds and the plastic vs metal gauge panel?

Any idea?

Thanks
ejm
The gauge surround was changed from metal to plastic mid-year '74 Over the years there were many changes to the gauges.
A good reference is found in "The 914 & 914/6 Porsche:A restorer's guide to authenticity" by Dr. B. Johnson.
TC/914
Thanks!

I'm ordering that book this coming week. I hear that it's beyond belief in the help and details that it provides.

TC
Dave_Darling
The most obvious change--for the 74 model year, the silver cone in the center was removed. (Some early 74s do have "73" gauges.) There were smaller differences as well.

--DD
Aaron Cox
70-72 silver center gauges 120mph speedo - metal bezel - glass face
73 same with 150 silver center speedo - metal bezel - glass face

74 Black centers 150 mph speedo metal bezel - plastic face
75/76 same with plastic bezel and holes for smog idiot lights
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.