Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear brake adjusting bolt.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914itis
I installed a rear caliper that I had sitting today and it's leaking thu the outer adjusting bolt. I tried loosen up the nut and and adjust clock and counter clockwise to no avail. What am I doing wrong and how do I fix this?
Eric_Shea
It's the outer adjuster seal. Did you replace it when you rebuilt them?
914itis
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 28 2013, 10:11 PM) *

It's the outer adjuster seal. Did you replace it when you rebuilt them?

I did not rebuilt them. Where can I get a replacement?
Eric_Shea
I haven't got a clue... biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 28 2013, 07:31 PM) *
I haven't got a clue... biggrin.gif

poke.gif
Eric_Shea
Paul... You can spray some PB Blaster under the nut as a temporary fix. It may swell the seal enough to stop the leak.

That said, with a leak like that the seals are probably all hard and brittle. PB Blaster may not work if you have a chunk taken out.

It's time...
914itis
It's my brother!a car. I don't think anything came out. I will give it a shot, if not, I guest it's coming to you..

The bolt spins and don't stop. Is that the way it should be?
Eric_Shea
The bolt is an adjuster. The mechanism inside the piston will spin if you adjust the bolt all the way in (clockwise on that one). Be careful when doing that as it can stick. Counter clockwise should adjust the piston "out". If not, the adjuster itself is stuck in the mechanism by turning it clockwise too tight.

Short answer: yes, the adjuster spins like that.

If you have a 4mm hex and an air wrench (and you believe it is indeed stuck) you can try hitting it with a few short bursts in the counter clockwise direction. That should break it free and get the piston adjusting again.
914itis
Afaik, when turning counter clock wise, the brake pads should be moving closer to the disk and clockwise should move the pas away from the disk. Correct me if I am wrong. He says that when he turns either way, there is no action on the pad.
brant
rebuild time...
send to eric if your smart
Eric_Shea
He says that when he turns either way, there is no action on the pad.

Then the adjuster is stuck in the internal adjustment mechanism. Follow the procedure I outlined above. Again, with a bad seal, this is all probably moot.

(Brant... Checks in the mail). biggrin.gif
914itis
Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.