Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Odometer / trip counter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914itis
I recently purchase a set of dash gauges from a member here, (great guy) the speedometer works, but the odometer and trip counter does not move. The trip counter cable is not installed. Any idea on how to open them and what to look for?
mepstein
common issue for the plastic gear to break on the odometer. That's why so many 914's have low mileage. I think there is a "how to" on pelican.
rnellums
its not a difficult repair, i found a paint car opener useful for opening up the gauge trim ring when I did it for my black car.
jesiv
Had mine rebuilt by Palo Alto speedometer works great and even looks better

Regards

James
worn
QUOTE(914itis @ May 28 2013, 08:14 PM) *

I recently purchase a set of dash gauges from a member here, (great guy) the speedometer works, but the odometer and trip counter does not move. The trip counter cable is not installed. Any idea on how to open them and what to look for?

Go to the gauges section on the pelican tech articles site. They have instructions. I just did mine last week. I had done it before but a dead possum hooked the speedo cable and in revenge for someone else's act took out my odometer. Took about an hour. Peen the wheel hub and press it on and try to keep all the parts from flying off.

DO NOT try to disassemble by pulling the needle off.
john_g
+1 on the Pelican instructions.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/M...auge_repair.htm

I've done this repair and followed the above instructions a couple of times with one addition. I use a nail or other similar rod to replace the odometer drive shaft, so that I never have to worry about losing all the number wheels. I push the nail in from one end, thereby slowly pushing out the drive shaft and replacing it with the nail. I peen the end of the drive shaft that's even with the place where the gear fits over it, or I squeeze the gear wheel out of round a little bit as the instructions say, and then slide it back in, pushing the nail back out the way it came in. Easy repair. First time took me a couple of hours; the second time took me only 20 minutes.

You can send it to Pelican to do for you if you don't want to try it yourself.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.