Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help ID a part
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lsintampa
75 914/4

I showed this to another 914 owner (that owns an older model) and we both were confused about what it is.

It appears to be the speedo cable, but what is the box and all the wiring all about?

Curios is all.

Len

Click to view attachment
Jeffs9146
EGR light trigger! It counts the miles and turns the light on! You can remove it and replace the cable with an earlier one!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ May 29 2013, 11:47 AM) *

EGR light trigger! It counts the miles and turns the light on! You can remove it and replace the cable with an earlier one!

agree.gif

Porsche's (poor) attempt to make a "Check Engine" light.
rolleyes.gif
ThePaintedMan
Well hell, I never would have guessed that one. When Len and I looked at it, I commented that it looked very much like a speedometer cable. But I had never seen a later car so I didn't know.

So what, it was an early way to get owners to have their cars serviced more often (read: spend more money at the dealership)? I assume the technician had a way to turn the light off/reset it?
lsintampa
naw, it's a keeper!

Now to figure out

1) does it even work
2) if it does how to reset it

confused24.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(lsintampa @ May 29 2013, 01:44 PM) *

naw, it's a keeper!

Now to figure out

1) does it even work

confused24.gif

Only Factory Trained Mechanics know and they've all died by now. av-943.gif
914Sixer
If memory serves me correctly if was for California cars only. The rest of the world did not have this problem.
lsintampa
QUOTE(914Sixer @ May 29 2013, 09:39 PM) *

If memory serves me correctly if was for California cars only. The rest of the world did not have this problem.

How do I know if this is a CA car???
rgalla9146
QUOTE(lsintampa @ May 29 2013, 01:44 PM) *

naw, it's a keeper!

Now to figure out

1) does it even work

confused24.gif

Look around on it for a round white button.
Push the button and listen for a clunk sound.
The light come on at certain mileage intervals, can't remember what mileage
r_towle
It's a LoJack GPS tracker that a spy placed in your car
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(lsintampa @ May 29 2013, 06:44 PM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ May 29 2013, 09:39 PM) *

How do I know if this is a CA car???

Its the EGR mileage counter for the CA-market-only 1975+1976 914s. If its in your car, you have a CA-market (originally sold) 914.
Porschef
Yeah that's what it is. I took mine out and replaced it with an earlier, full length cable.

It's a very valuable part, tho. I think I got .40 for it at the scrap yard...
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 29 2013, 11:51 AM) *

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ May 29 2013, 11:47 AM) *

agree.gif

Porsche's (poor) attempt to make a "Check Engine" light.
rolleyes.gif

"Porsche's poor attempt"? EVERYBODY used that system back in the day. And it's NOT a CEL, it's a mileage counter. You push the button to reset the counter after you inspect and verify system operation. Unless, of course, you're working on a Mercedes; Then you remove the instrument cluster and take the bulb out ...............

The Cap'n
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 31 2013, 06:55 AM) *
And it's NOT a CEL, it's a mileage counter.

I know. Which is why i put my comment in "" and added a smiley at the end ...
rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.