Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Philadelphia area 914 mechanics / experts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Amphicar770
Hi All,

I am looking to drop the engine on my '74 914 2.0 in order to replace the AC compressor and attend to any items that 40 years of time may make worth addressing.

Many years ago I used a shop in West Grove, PA who specialized in porsche / vw but he has apparently stopped working on older cars.

I do have a 4-post lift, lots of tools, air tools, etc. I am thinking of doing this myself but it would be great to have someone available who has prior experience removing / reinstalling the 914 engine. I would certainly be willing to pay for your time in cash, beer, fuel. Car is from west coast and exceptionally so should not have to fight a lot of rusty bolts. I am located in Royersford.

Thanks,

Mike
mepstein
I just did mine with a jack and a couple hand tools. I'll help you if you want. I'm in Landenberg pa. PM me to touch base. Mark
Jmedeiros
If you download the checklist from PP, you can step right through to the drop with very little difficulty. I had my brother and a friend help out and it was almost as easy as dropping the VW motor in an old bug!
smile.gif

QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ May 29 2013, 06:36 PM) *

Hi All,

I am looking to drop the engine on my '74 914 2.0 in order to replace the AC compressor and attend to any items that 40 years of time may make worth addressing.

Many years ago I used a shop in West Grove, PA who specialized in porsche / vw but he has apparently stopped working on older cars.

I do have a 4-post lift, lots of tools, air tools, etc. I am thinking of doing this myself but it would be great to have someone available who has prior experience removing / reinstalling the 914 engine. I would certainly be willing to pay for your time in cash, beer, fuel. Car is from west coast and exceptionally so should not have to fight a lot of rusty bolts. I am located in Royersford.

Thanks,

Mike

914dave
Mike
I can probably help you out. With the setup you have it shouldn't take us more than an hour or two. I'll see if my buddy whose right around the corner from you (Audubon PA) has any extra time. Send me an email with your phone and we'll see what we can do.
Dave
TomR
QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ May 29 2013, 05:36 PM) *

Hi All,

Thanks,

Mike

Hey Mike, if you want to have a shop do it for you, or need parts or advice there is shop in Delaware called Fairwind Automotive. They specialize in vintage Porsches. The owner Will Pyle is an excellent mechanic & prices are reasonable. I've got a '73 914 and he has worked on it extensively, & I've never been disappointed. If you're interested his number is (302) 322-5296. Ask for Will
Jgilliam914
If you have the space to do it? Do it yourself. It is a pretty easy task. You will learn so much about your car than you ever imagined!!
Cap'n Krusty
"4 post lift"? Be SURE the engine/tranny combination will clear the lift BEFORE you drop it.

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.