Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Optimal tranny cooler location?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
john914somers
OK so I'm wondering where I should locate my aftermarket tranny cooler in my 3.2/901-914? I still have the rear trunk floor but I was thinking that maybe I should cut a section of the floor out and install my cooler and pump back there but I began to wonder about heat from the exhaust and getting air through the cooler and if the trunk is really the best place, or if I do put it in the trunk is one spot better than another for effectiveness? What are you guys doing and if you had it to do it again what would you do differently? Thanks a bunch!
brant
I'm not following the optimum advice...

just like oil cooling... ideal would be some type of ram air
and not adding any weight to the rear trunk...
(ie: a front cooler in the front trunk)

however race cars are a compromise
so I have one in the rear trunk.

its absolutely the only thing I've added to the rear trunk what so ever... no batteries, no other coolers, no brace bars

I've run a scoop under the floorboard of the car ramming air through a tube to the cooler with so-so results

I tested moving my tube up to the passengers window to gain air from the side of the car and clean air too... I dropped approximately 20degree's F
(from 230-ish to the 210 range)

so I'm building a side scoop now that will mount in the passengers window area on a more permanent basis

the cooler alone adds some volume but only a slight improvement in temperature.

air flow is the key to cooling and just like motor coolers or radiators. There are lots of ways to do it.

trunk coolers don't produce the same results as frontal air, no matter what

Matt Romanowski
Tell us more about your car. There are a lot of ways to do the cooler, but it needs to fit your car and "style."
pcar916
agree.gif There are some ideas about that in this thread and a few more. I mounted mine in the wheel-well ahead of the right rear wheel.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=161520
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=208328

Another one about a puke tank for the vent.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=209953

A search will bring up some more as well.

Good luck!
john914somers
My 914 is a basically stock except for headers and chip, 1988 3.2 with a 901. I went a bit crazy with my plasma cutter and removed everything I though that was reasonable to remove and some that probably wasn't, Phosphoric acid dipped it (I believe there must have been at least 100 lbs of seam sealer removed in the process), Aluminum top and aluminum diamond mesh engine cover. Fiberglass trunk lids, 7" rear flares and 5" fronts. I've stiffened the car up a bit with a full roll cage, inner and outer console supports, chrome moly tubing to the front and rear shock towers, 23mm torsion bars, 1" front sway bar, 300lb coil springs & stiffened trailing arms. It has 5 lug and Brembos all the way around with dual master cylinders and adjustable brake bias, front oil cooler, 3" brake ducts to the front, on turbo twists with 17x225 and 17x275. Ive worked my carcass off on what was originally purchased as a basket car over the last year or so and am hopeful to have it on the track in July/August. I don't know how long I can expect the 901 to last and will probably have to go to a 915 or G50 but for now this should get me out there. Any suggestions on my tranny cooler would be greatly appreciated.
brant
not thread related, but just curious
what does it weigh wet?

Matt Romanowski
I would say you should look at doing something under the rear trunk with a fan on it. You can search and find lots of threads on how people do it. The fan will be important to get enough air to go through the cooler.

Also make sure you run a good fluid. You'll get as many opinions on what "good oil" is as you'll find $@#@#%.
john914somers
I believe it will be somewhere around 1900-1950lbs. however I do have some BBS 16"x7.5 and 16x9 that are quite a bit lighter than my 17" turbo twists but I don,t have my fire suppression system or a couple of other things, ie. Hot lap / data system etc in yet so the jury is still out on the final weight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.