Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crush washer and Oil Screen Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JawjaPorsche
Okay, I have taken yall advice and I just removed the oil screen from my 1.7.

Crush washer: I removed the old washer and just put the new on in place of it? What is the purpose of the crush washer? Why not a regular washer. Remember, I am new to this.

Also there was a small broken rubber washer (see picture) when I removed the cover. Does anyone know what it was for and do I need it.

Again, thank you so much your understanding of a novice mechanic. Your answers are appreciated as usual.

Terry
bulitt
My gaskets were on so long they were not recognizable as gaskets. I had to pry around with a screwdriver until they came off. Car was new to me so I, like you assumed no gaskets.
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(bulitt @ May 30 2013, 08:52 AM) *

My gaskets were on so long they were not recognizable as gaskets. I had to pry around with a screwdriver until they came off. Car was new to me so I, like you assumed no gaskets.

You are correct! They were there just had to scrape a little! biggrin.gif
TheCabinetmaker
The crush washer is what seals the bolts. You need 2. One for the drain plug and one for the sump bolt. There is NO rubber washer. Someone put that rubber on there in an attempt to quell an oil leak. Probably cause they did not have the proper crush washer. That was the same person who put the sump back together without the gaskets. Maybe some unqualified oil changer at jiffy lube. One gasket on each side of the screen. DRY! Torque on the sump bolt is only 8 or 9 foot pounds. The split in the washers go towards the bolt head.

Looks like an oil change was was in dire need!

Oh yeah, make sure one of the gaskets is not stuck to the case.

Edit: I see you found the gaskets.
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ May 30 2013, 08:58 AM) *

The crush washer is what seals the bolts. You need 2. One for the drain plug and one for the sump bolt. There is NO rubber washer. Someone put that rubber on there in an attempt to quell an oil leak. Probably cause they did not have the proper crush washer. That was the same person who put the sump back together without the gaskets. Maybe some unqualified oil changer at jiffy lube. One gasket on each side of the screen. DRY! Torque on the sump bolt is only 8 or 9 foot pounds. The split in the washers go towards the bolt head.

Looks like an oil change was was in dire need!

Oh yeah, make sure one of the gaskets is not stuck to the case.

Edit: I see you found the gaskets.

Yes I found the gaskets. Thank you so much for help and making me more illiterate when working on my 914. Yall are the best! beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.