Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cleaning out fuel tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
juliomagdaleno
Click to view attachmentMy porsche quit on me again. This time i decided to see what was in the inside of the gas tank. The car was sitting for 8 years and started regularly. When i took out the tank, it had a large amount of rust and the filter was clogged. I took fuel tank to a radiator shop and having the tank boiled and sealed. I am debating if i should change out the fuel pump.
dakotaewing
Please change your fuel lines while your at it. Especially the fuel lines in the center tunnel of the car. There is a member or 2 here that makes these from stainless or steel - that's what you'll want. Otherwise your car will eventually go "boom"...
rhodyguy
that was one gross tank! the tank sock must have been collapsed like a pancake.
Elliot Cannon
After the tank is clean, you need to replace ALL the fuel lines. (Especially the lines in the tunnel). You should also have a good fuel filter and a new fuel pump.
juliomagdaleno
I went ahead and ordered the new lines. Yes the sock filter was really bad. Now I just sit and wait for the lines to arrive and the tank to be cleaned. They said it will boil for 10 days because of the condition it was in.
bulitt
Transferring my tank from my rusty old POS to better tub and looked in the tank and much to my complete amazement the tank is brand new inside. confused24.gif
Even a blind dog finds a bone once in a while... lol-2.gif
rhodyguy
does the firm cleaning your tank test it for leaks as well? i'd be worried about a weeping pin hole.
aircooledtechguy
After it gets cleaned, I would resin coat the inside with POR-15 tank treatment or a similar product that seals it. Then dirty fuel will be a thing if the past.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.