Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Good Brakes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mblizzard
Maybe this doesn't go here because it is a bit of a rant. But this morning I was driving my 914 to work. As I looked ahead I see a F-250 waiting to turn left in an area where they had to first cross two lanes of traffic and a turn lane. Cars were also waiting in the turn lane to turn into the street where this guy (I don't really have to say this because I think everyone would assume it) who was on his cell phone suddenly pulls out. Cuts off the cars in the turn lane crosses into my lane. Then all of a sudden he stops blocking the turn lane and my lane and bends over like he is getting something off the floor. Yes you guessed it, he had dropped his cell phone and he just had to pick it up while crossing all that traffic..

I had to hit the brakes extremely hard and just pray for the best. Maybe all 914s stop this well but I know that I went from about 40 to 0 in a very short distance with only a slight wheel lock at the end. I have to think that the work PMB puts into their calipers was a big part of me being able to stop and being able to rant about this instead of posting pictures of a wrecked car.

As I was screaming at the guy for being such a dumb ass he wanted to know what my problem was because he was in the turn lane. He was somewhat surprised when I pointed out to him that the turn lane was behind him. But didn't really seem to care.

I think that given the size of our cars that we have to take on the additional burden of watching out for all of the assholes on the road. If you are doing any brake work, do everything possible to ensure it is right because I really believe that the money I spent with PMB saved my car today.
billh1963
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ May 31 2013, 08:55 AM) *

Maybe this doesn't go here because it is a bit of a rant. But this morning I was driving my 914 to work. As I looked ahead I see a F-250 waiting to turn left in an area where they had to first cross two lanes of traffic and a turn lane. Cars were also waiting in the turn lane to turn into the street where this guy (I don't really have to say this because I think everyone would assume it) who was on his cell phone suddenly pulls out. Cuts off the cars in the turn lane crosses into my lane. Then all of a sudden he stops blocking the turn lane and my lane and bends over like he is getting something off the floor. Yes you guessed it, he had dropped his cell phone and he just had to pick it up while crossing all that traffic..

I had to hit the brakes extremely hard and just pray for the best. Maybe all 914s stop this well but I know that I went from about 40 to 0 in a very short distance with only a slight wheel lock at the end. I have to think that the work PMB puts into their calipers was a big part of me being able to stop and being able to rant about this instead of posting pictures of a wrecked car.

As I was screaming at the guy for being such a dumb ass he wanted to know what my problem was because he was in the turn lane. He was somewhat surprised when I pointed out to him that the turn lane was behind him. But didn't really seem to care.

I think that given the size of our cars that we have to take on the additional burden of watching out for all of the assholes on the road. If you are doing any brake work, do everything possible to ensure it is right because I really believe that the money I spent with PMB saved my car today.

With the average intelligence dropping over the last century (lots of reasons...we won't get into that) the number of morons on the road is increasing. Couple that with all the distractions (cell phones, in car video, navigation systems, etc.) and we have a real problem on our hands.

When I drive any of my cars (especially 914's or TR6's) I drive I like everyone is out to kill me.
Eric_Shea
Sounds like the brakes just did what they were supposed to do. No major feat there. I'm glad you had them in tip-top shape.

Moreover, it sounds like the driver of the Porsche was doing a good job of defensive driving (rule #1 if I recall high school drivers ed) and staying alert and attentive to his surroundings. Great Job! wink.gif

Me like happy endings (I also like it when things like this turn out well) biggrin.gif smilie_pokal.gif

I suppose it's a good time to remind people to adjust your rear venting clearance. You'll get 30% more stopping power if you do.
ThePaintedMan
Good stuff. I'm glad that both you and your car are okay! Tampa/St. Pete is one of the worst areas to drive in, IMHO. That stuff is a regular occurrence here, which I attribute to the mix of people from the northeast, west, rednecks in big trucks and tourists - everyone brings the driving styles from their own region and it makes for a complete cluster at times. I like how Bill put it - drive like everyone is trying to kill you.

That being said, the brakes definitely have a role here too, and it's one more reason to support Eric. Eric, quick question, and I hope it's not too nosy, I'm just curious. Do you have to carry some kind of special insurance as a brake rebuilder? I've always wondered if companies that deal with specific vital systems on cars have to go the extra mile to CYA.
SLITS
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ May 31 2013, 06:53 AM) *

Do you have to carry some kind of special insurance as a brake rebuilder? I've always wondered if companies that deal with specific vital systems on cars have to go the extra mile to CYA.

He keeps his DD full of gas and a plane ticket to Lower Slobovia in his wallet just in case!

Anytime I sell "safety components" the ad carries a disclaimer as to their use; essentially a non-acceptance of any liability whatsoever.
Mblizzard
Eric - Funny you mention the rear venting clearances. I had just rechecked them this weekend as a follow up to the installation of the calipers. Bedding the pads and such did result in the requirement to make some adjustments. Not much of an adjustment but keeping them adjusted makes a huge difference.

I like to think that with 40 year old cars it takes good parts and good drivers to keep them on the road.

I agree that we have to assume that everyone on the road is trying to kill us. Next on my list - third brake light. Especially after I saw that 914/6 that was rear ended on the forum.
matt5596
Sounds about par for the course in Knoxville. I avoid driving in west Knoxvile. I've got fresh PMB calipers on each corner but I can't seem to get it down off the jack stands. After new calipers and rotors, I decided to replace all my break lines too. Better safe than sorry.
Nozzle
Since owning my 914 I've simply adopted the same driving mindset as I did when riding motorcycles. Not so much a matter of defensive driving as being convinced that drivers are actively trying to kill you. Primary reason I'm driving a 914 instead of riding my bikes which are now long gone. dry.gif
Mblizzard
QUOTE(matt5596 @ May 31 2013, 05:59 PM) *

Sounds about par for the course in Knoxville. I avoid driving in west Knoxvile. I've got fresh PMB calipers on each corner but I can't seem to get it down off the jack stands. After new calipers and rotors, I decided to replace all my break lines too. Better safe than sorry.

Matt I live in west Knoxville! Ugh..... Was not that way many years ago when we move here.

Those jack stands give the car some great ride height but really take all of the fun put of the ride. Mine spends some time on the stands as well but I am trying to let fixing everything not get in the way of driving it if I can help it. But I know I am going to have to drop the engine soon to change some seals and a few things. Hope to get that done before October.

Let me know f you need help removing the jack stands!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.