Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anybody here tracking 914 VINs?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
anderssj
Came across these two sad cars on Saturday. They're at a yard I used to go to years ago. The first is a 71, VIN 4712914943, originally silver, repainted red:
anderssj
the other is a 73, VIN 4732906918, red, then blue, then back to red:
TheCabinetmaker
contact DaveP
GWN7
They still have some good parts....door handles, windshields......mabey some more.......... biggrin.gif
anderssj
don't know how long they've been there--years and years most likely . . . .

Best regards,

Steve A-
anderssj
Bruce,

Yes, the 71 has most of the engine and FI in it, but the owner refuses to sell the small parts (handles, etc.)--he wants to sell the whole door . . . (I've asked--that's why I don't do much business with him anymore).

He also has an old 912 that's been there for at least 15 years--and still asking $2500 ohmy.gif (that said, it has 4 good 14" fuchs, and the engine looked pretty complete last time I checked) . . . I guess all it takes is the right person to come along wink.gif

The 912 engine pic is from the last time I was there a year ago . . . .

Steve A-
Rusty
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Nov 28 2004, 07:08 PM)
door handles

My first thought. smilie_pokal.gif

Second? Gold letters on the engine grill.

2500 for that 912? blink.gif
davep
There are 4 numbers I really need from every car you find:
VIN
Paint code
Chassis #
DOT date code

The paint code and chassis number are on the drivers door hinge post Karmann badge.
The DOT date code is on the drivers door latch post decal.
Any other serial data: engine & tranny #'s are useful IF the items are thought to be original. Engine type is nice to know, and can be determined sometimes even if the engine is missing; The engine decal shows engine type, and the tire rating decal on the gas tank should be SR for the smaller engine and HR for the 2.0 engine. Interior color and carpet type (loop carpet or felt) are useful also.

For those fortunate enough to have original owners manuals or warranty books (depending on the year the warranty section was included in the manual) the VIN, engine number and model type are often written in. The model type is of the form 473xxx.
anderssj
Thanks for the quick response--I'll go back next weekend if I have time (still need to finish that left rear brake) and see what I can find. I know that the sticker on the 71's driver door post is gone . . . but it is definitely a 1.7L.

Thanks again,

Steve A-
GWN7
Offer him $5 for both doors, there is nothing left on those doors except the handles that is any good. The rust has eaten thru the outter skins and the inside frames are prob toast as well. Sounds like the yard owner translates Porsche = Gold

beerchug.gif
Aaron Cox
good windshield too! cracked dashes? steal all the grommets you can!
rear targa pad looks good!
anderssj
Aaron,

Thanks--I'll check the windshields. Dash is gone from one, cracked in the other--both targa pads are cracked too. I will check the grommets though.

"Minimum sale" here is $25, doors usually go for 100. Everything is "gold"--he sells mostly to people who are trying to get their cars back on the road NOW, and charges about 1/2 of new (dealer) cost.

BTW, do you think Matt would be interested in the 912? wink.gif

Thanks again,

Steve A-
VegasRacer
More sad red 914's.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.