Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mallory Distributor Advice?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porsche Rescue
Did a search on Mallory and found lots of praise but not enough detail for me to know which one to buy and best timing specs.

My engine is a '74 2.0 with Weber 40's. I believe the cam was changed to work with carbs but have no record of what brand/grind. I am currently using a Bosch 050 timed to the mark at 3500. My carbs have no vacuum ports.

My objective is to improve autocross performance (acceleration). The car is rarely used on the street. From various posts by Jake Raby and others it sounds like switching to the Mallory will help. If so, which model? Also, I read posts about spring kits, etc. and 12-28 degree timing (which I don't quite understand). Any advice appreciated.
Aaron Cox
im in the same boat. 2.0, big cam and 050 w/ web 44's. my carbs have vac fittings....
vac or no vac????
TheCabinetmaker
Joseph 222 has the same set up with a mallory.
lapuwali
The Mallory is adjustable, which is why you don't get much in the way of specifics. You tune to your car. The usual starting point quoted is to use the grey/grey springs, with 28-30 degrees of max advance, which should give 10-12 degrees of initial advance. Mallory has lots of curve data published on their site.

Obviously, if you don't have a way of measuring performance, tunability isn't going to help you much. Dyno time, if you can afford it. Lots and lots of experimentation on the AX course if you can't.

As far as model, I believe your only choices are vac or no vac (in terms of what will fit on the car). Jake will tell you no vac, because he's had vac advancers break on him.

Note that the Mallory is BIG, and will just barely clear the tin. If you're running an oil pressure sensor, you'll need to relocate it.
SGB
I got the Mallory 4554101. No vacuum port. I'm waiting for the spring kit from aircooled. My research showed me to use the grey/ grey springs and yellow tabs. Thats what Mr R prefers.
machina
i saved this quote from Jake...

"Use Mallory #4554101

The TIV default (safe) settings should be 28-32 degrees full timing (unless your engine is a low CR misconfigured beast, then it may want 40 degrees) and set up initial at 11 degrees. Install a pair of Grey springs, and go from there"
Bleyseng
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Nov 28 2004, 05:41 PM)
My objective is to improve autocross performance (acceleration). The car is rarely used on the street.

Lighten the car, improve the gearing by using the best wheel and tire ratio, improve the suspension so you carry more speed out of the corners, switch to a CFR header for 6hp, dyno tune the car.

Geoff
Jake Raby
The Mallory is its most efficient in the advance curve, below 3,000 RPM for faster advance and higher initial advance as well.... I have seen 25% more power easily on my dyno with one below 3000 RPM!!

Buy the 4554101 and don't look back!
Porsche Rescue
Are the gray springs something I order extra or do they come with the distributor? Any recommendations as to where to buy the Mallory?
Aaron Cox
aircooled . net sells the dizzy and springs...

century performance sells them $10 cheaper.

Jake, are there any benefits to running the vac unit? mileage.... power....?
Jake Raby
I hate the VAC unit..

One cost me an engine a few months ago- PLUS they are hard to set up.
Porsche Rescue
Not sure I know enough to ask intelligent questions, but here goes.

Aircooled.net will sell me the Mallory with gray springs installed and set to 12 degrees-28 degrees. That part seems simple enough (just takes money). Once I install it (which I think I can handle, already have the pressure sender out of the way) how do I time the engine? Same old "27 degree notch at 3500 rpm"?
Jake Raby
You can do it that way... It should set you up with 11 at idle and 27 full :-)
Porsche Rescue
OK, now I'm getting the idea---3500 will generate full advance. So if I want 28 degrees that's where I have to set it. Sounds like I will need one of them fancy new timing lights.
ematulac
Oo0o0oo, one more thing for my Christmas wish list.

Is the optical pickup worth the extra $?
Aaron Cox
on my list for xmas...

mallory dizzy (vac or no vac...still deciding)
mallory hyfire VIA (dont need rev limiter)
Magnecore spark plug wires
CDI Compatible coil
Oil PRESS sender relocator
Porsche Rescue
Aaron reminds me........is there a rev limiter available for the Mallory? The need for one is what started all this distributor research in the first place. None available for my 050
and I have a tendency to over rev on our local "all 2nd gear" AX courses.
Jake Raby
Yes, many different ones. I have the Hyfire VI and it has 3 rev limiters and start retard!

Its a great CDI unit..
Ray Warren
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Nov 29 2004, 05:42 PM)
You can do it that way... It should set you up with 11 at idle and 27 full :-)

Would this be a good set up for a completely stock
2.0L with after market FI (fuel only)?

This is an interesting thread. I thinks there is a lot of
people who would like to know a lot more about the Mallory dizzy.
Jake Raby
I have included almost a full chapter in my book to the mallory and tuning dizzies like it!

The dizzy is great for any application.. BUT if you go Kit Carlson you get the next step above with direct fire.

we are shooting for around the first of 2005 to get the Kit Carl;son on the market in several kit forms.
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Nov 29 2004, 06:38 PM)
Aaron reminds me........is there a rev limiter available for the Mallory? The need for one is what started all this distributor research in the first place. None available for my 050

I have the HyFire VIA, which I think is a less expensive model than what Jake has. Mine does not have the start retard, although it does have a rotary adjustable rev-limiter. For AX, it is set at 5400. For the street it is usually set at 6000.

For me, I have found that I am quicker on a course if I go ahead and shift up to 3rd gear. Sometimes I'll even do an early shift for it.

Unless you have one of Jake's engines, your torque starts diminishing at around 4500. However, if your car does not shift well, this may not work to your advantage.

I'd just go ahead and buy one of Jake's engines and be done with it. biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(joseph222 @ Nov 29 2004, 07:26 PM)
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Nov 29 2004, 06:38 PM)

I have the HyFire VIA, which I think is a less expensive model than what Jake has. Mine does not have the start retard, although it does have a rotary adjustable rev-limiter. For AX, it is set at 5400. For the street it is usually set at 6000.

For me, I have found that I am quicker on a course if I go ahead and shift up to 3rd gear. Sometimes I'll even do an early shift for it.

Unless you have one of Jake's engines, your torque starts diminishing at around 4500. However, if your car does not shift well, this may not work to your advantage.

I'd just go ahead and buy one of Jake's engines and be done with it. biggrin.gif

only the VIAL has the rev limiter...
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Nov 29 2004, 08:30 PM)

Yup. You is right. I left off the "L".

I used to have your wish list. biggrin.gif

I'm using magnacores with the Mallory Pro Coil.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(joseph222 @ Nov 29 2004, 07:47 PM)
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Nov 29 2004, 08:30 PM)

Yup. You is right. I left off the "L".

I used to have your wish list. biggrin.gif

I'm using magnacores with the Mallory Pro Coil.

HEI plug wire end on the coil?

can you post pics of your setup?
SGB
It is important to have adequate fuel.... also reading from shoptalkforums, I picked up that for weber 40s, my 115 main jet was too small, so I've put in 120s. After readjusting my mixture volume screws, the car wants to idle at 1100. It was at 900. The idle speed adjuster on each carb is backed out all the way. The timing was set to 32btdc at 3000 rpm. When I just eyeballed turning clockwise a couple of degrees to reduce it to more like 30btdcc, the idle did not go down. I'll check my throttle cable slack and set the timing back a couple more degrees tomorrow.
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Nov 29 2004, 10:10 PM)
QUOTE(joseph222 @ Nov 29 2004, 07:47 PM)

HEI plug wire end on the coil?

can you post pics of your setup?

Yes it is HEI.

The unit is squarish with heat sinks. I mounted it on the firewall. Sorry, I don't have any pics. I'm going to replace a CV joint this weekend, and I'll try to get some pics for you then.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.