Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: should I raise my front ride height ? Tire rub issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfuerst911sc
I recently added 225/50 x 16 tires on 7 " rims on the front of my GT clone. Drives great and handles great but I'm getting tire rub when turning on the fender lips. These are metal GT flares and the fender lips are not rolled. I fear rolling the lips may damage the paint on the fenders. I'd be OK if it just damaged the paint to the lips but I do not want to risk damage to the fender. So I'm thinking of raising the front end, maybe 1 " higher ? I know it won't cure the problem 100 % but I think it would be a step in the right direction. Is there a " ballpark " rule on how much tire sidewall should be showing ? The car is definately raked towards the front, the car was aligned and corner balanced when I lived in Orlando. If I raised the front by turning equal amount of turns on the torsion bar adjusters would I be OK ? If it matters the front has stock torsion bars with a 19mm adjustable sway bar with stock strut inserts, the rear has Koni's with 140 lb. springs. I'm including a pic for opinions if the front is too low. Also what have others experienced with 225/50 in the fronts ? Thanks

Mike Bellis
A roller used with a heat gun will prevent paint damage. Careful rolling will prevent fender damage.

should you raise the car, confused24.gif no. Looks too good like that...
rfuerst911sc
I know rolling the lips is the right way to go but I've never done it and I'm a little gun shy on damaging the paint. I wonder if Hot Wheels here in Marietta can do it ? I'll have to contact them. I still think the car is a bit low in the front. For every 180 degree of rotation on the torsion bar cap adjuster aprox. how much change does that equate to ?
mepstein
Raise it. Keep track of the amount you turned the bolt. See if you like it. If you do, get allignment rechecked. If you don't like the new hight, turn it back to origional. Would the spacer that elephantracing sells be enough to stop the rub? I would roll the fender and work paint as a (very) last resort.

Don't let it rub, it will burn the paint.
TravisNeff
I think a 1/2 inch might get you out of harms way, get the front fender almost even with the top of the tire and take it for a spin. With that you would still have a little nose down attitude without touching the rear.
r_towle
Cut the fender lip down it 1/8 of an inch.
There is some gell you can rub on (welding supply or paint shop) that will help keep the paint from melting.

Go slow, don't create to much heat.

Rich
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 1 2013, 01:18 PM) *

There is some gell you can rub on (welding supply or paint shop) that will help keep the paint from melting.

Rich

I was thinking that cutting/trimming might be an option but heat transfer was the concern. I will have to look into this gell . I have an air driven cutting wheel would that be the way to go or would a sawzall type blade be better ? The only downside I can see in trimming is some strength will be lost vs. rolling the fender lip. I want to make sure the flare doesn't get " flexy ".
bulitt
What position on the fender is the tire hitting? 900pm? 1000pm?
Are you running spacers?
mepstein
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Jun 2 2013, 06:48 AM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 1 2013, 01:18 PM) *

Rich

I was thinking that cutting/trimming might be an option but heat transfer was the concern. I will have to look into this gell . I have an air driven cutting wheel would that be the way to go or would a sawzall type blade be better ? The only downside I can see in trimming is some strength will be lost vs. rolling the fender lip. I want to make sure the flare doesn't get " flexy ".

sawzall will certainly damage the paint.
r_towle
http://www.laco.com/prod/15/cool-gel-heat-barrier-spray.aspx

1/8 inch lip will ensure it won't get floppy.
The lip on the flares is larger than the stock lip, and shaving the lip is normal.

On my stock rendered car I bent the flange all the way over flat with no floppy issue.

I know what you mean, but like I said, if you leave a little lip, it will do that job of providing structure.

I would look at where it is rubbing, and just cut that off...no need to do everything if its just one area that it rubbing.

Use the die grinder, and the gel, and take you time.
Take breaks to let everything cool down.

A Dremel creates less heat also, the bit it thinner, thus less heat.
I also find the Dremel cuts faster due to the thinner cutting wheel.

Also, a 4 inch grinder seems to create less heat cause it is spinning faster...

Always buy the thinnest cutting wheels you can find.
Rich
rfuerst911sc
It is rubbing aprox. at the 11:00 + 1:00 so I could just trim in that area. Between a little trim and maybe raise her in the front a little I can get there. I know with 225/50 on the front I will probably have rubbing at full lock on either the inside or outside, I just want to minimize it. I am not running spacers, the 7 " wheels have 23mm offset going by memory. Good tip on using a Dremel for the thinner blades. Just thought of something, if you cut the lips what do you do to " dress " the cut edge ? Just use a file and then prime/paint ?
mgp4591
I agree that by looking into other tires you may find some difference but generally a 225 is a 225; going up in aspect ratio doesn't make the tread any narrower, it just raises the sidewall by 5-10% if you're going to a 55 or 60 series.
mgp4591
BTW, I'm classified as a Newbie but I've been an auto mechanic for 30 years; now I'm in Process Engineering for Intel so I've got a little experience in the field... jus' sayin'. There's lots of folks more smarter than me here tho when it comes to these furrin ve hickles. shades.gif
rfuerst911sc
Guys the tires have 15 miles on them I'm not going to replace them.
Rand
It's not too low. What are your corner balance numbers? If those are good then make clearances with the body work.
storm8732
If you havent done anything yet, you might want to contact John at Holt Wheels Body Shop on hwy 41 in Marietta. They did the install of my Turbo Flares on the rear of my 911 and rolled the lips of the front 930 fenders and the rear flares to clear my custom wheels. They are great people to deal with and very Porsche Friendly....might ask for Rattlesnake as well...
914itis
I had that issue last year after installing my flares. Lowered it didn't cure, I had to get new rubbers . 205x45x16.
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(storm8732 @ Sep 1 2013, 07:30 PM) *

If you havent done anything yet, you might want to contact John at Holt Wheels Body Shop on hwy 41 in Marietta. They did the install of my Turbo Flares on the rear of my 911 and rolled the lips of the front 930 fenders and the rear flares to clear my custom wheels. They are great people to deal with and very Porsche Friendly....might ask for Rattlesnake as well...

I have not done anything yet been too busy but I have contacted Hot Wheels via email and they said rolling the fender lips is no big deal. Just have to make time to drop the car off. I have dealt with them in the past they are good folks to work with. beerchug.gif
Spoke
I can't tell in the pic but it looks like the front is ride height is slightly lower than the rear.

Is the front ride height the same as the rear?

BTW, nice car.
J P Stein
I ran 5 inches, doughnuts to flat gound....both ends..maybe 1/4 inch less. Going below 4-1/2 can cause all sorts of problems.....BTDT. Trimming the inner edge is a good plan.
I used a die grinder with a carbide cutter on the end...minumal heat tranfser with a cutter (not a grinder).
PanelBilly
your right, give it to someone who has done it before. I did mine and it wasn't easy. The paint wasn't on yet either and I only need to worry about keeping the profile of the metal smooth and straight. Take some before and after pictures and show us the workmanship
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(Spoke @ Sep 2 2013, 07:07 AM) *

I can't tell in the pic but it looks like the front is ride height is slightly lower than the rear.

Is the front ride height the same as the rear?

BTW, nice car.

No it is lower in the front and thanks biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.