Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: look at a 76
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tomh
Ok, let me have all the pros and cons of a 76. I have a chance to pick one up for a pretty good price. Nepal orange with a lot of new extras not installed yet. my biggest question is SMOG. can some expand on that issue for this year. It is a 2.0. Thanks everybody.
TheCabinetmaker
Someone from ca will come in but I think the 76 is not exempt.
Porschef
Check it out. If good, buy it. Sell to someone on the east coast. They'll be muy feliz.

Nepal rocks...
Steve
76 is not smog exempt in California and its a major pain to get a 76 to pass smog since the smog components are so old and hard to find.
914werke
QUOTE(Steve @ Jun 2 2013, 11:28 AM) *
76 is not smog exempt in California
and its a major pain to get a 76 to pass smog since the smog components are so old and hard to find.

Depends on how its equipped (original?) and who you know. idea.gif biggrin.gif
Jeffs9146
If it passes smog, sellers responsibility, you can start collecting parts to keep it going! But, if it is a "as is" sale, no smog, I would pass unless you want to deal with it every two years!
jim_hoyland
If it's really nice, make your offer conditional that it passes smog on the sellers nickel. I have a '75 which required smog testing up until several years ago. It would only pass smog test if I had a knowledgeable porsche mechanic make a couple of short term adjustments to the AFM. It helped that he was a smog test station as well, so we would do a pre-test, adjust the AFM, run the DMV test, then readjust the AFM back to optimal settings. What a headache !
damesandhotrods
As I understand the smog laws, it is the seller’s responsibility, the end.

I do not believe a verbal contract that the buyer will take care of it holds up here either. The way the smog laws are written I wouldn’t count on a written contract protecting a seller either.
PancakePorsche
My stock 76 passes CA. smog no problem. I put on a new aftermarket CAT the day before test, then switch it back. Retard timing a bit to reduce NOX, new plugs, proper valve lash. The air pump and EGR don't do squat, just make sure it is present to pass visual.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.