Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: new engine question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
73p914
i have a 73 914 and i just bought a 75 engine will bolt rite in to my car???
McMark
Short answer ... yes.
73p914
was there any power differences from 73 to 75??
SirAndy
QUOTE(73p914 @ Nov 28 2004, 09:20 PM)
was there any power differences from 73 to 75??

if you have all the additional smog stuff on the '75 then yes, it'll have a few HP less.
but the block itself is the same, so if you run the '75 engine with the standard '73 accessories, it'll be the same ...

cool.gif Andy
73p914
like what intake runners and injectors or just the computer????? confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(73p914 @ Nov 28 2004, 09:28 PM)
like what intake runners and injectors or just the computer????? confused24.gif

that's all the same ...
brain, runners, injectors, all the same ...

i was talking about additional smog equipement that the '75 engine might have,
cool.gif Andy
skline
I'm sorry Andy, I have to bring up a question before that question could be answered, the most common engine in a 75 was a 1.8, the 73 didnt have the 1.8 option and therefore it had D-Jet injection, the 75 1.8 liter had L-Jet unless it was a 2 liter engine in both the 73 and the 75, the injection system is different. In which case, he would have to change the entire injection system on the engine.
SirAndy
QUOTE(skline @ Nov 28 2004, 09:40 PM)
I'm sorry Andy, I have to bring up a question before that question could be answered, the most common engine in a 75 was a 1.8, the 73 didnt have the 1.8 option and therefore it had D-Jet injection, the 75 1.8 liter had L-Jet unless it was a 2 liter engine in both the 73 and the 75, the injection system is different. In which case, he would have to change the entire injection system on the engine.

the '73 2.0L D-Jet will work on a '75 2.0L core and vice-versa ...

1.7L D-Jet will run just fine on a '75 1.8L (that's what i had in my car!) ...

he didn't specify the size and injection of either the old or the new engine.
if they're are the same size (which i assumed) the injection, brain and everything is interchangeable.
you can also switch injection types between different size engines as long as you use a complete induction system.

again, i assumed he had 2 same size engines ...
cool.gif Andy
73p914
ell the 73 is a 1.7 liter and the 75 is a 1.8 liter. could i gain more power if i just carbed it with single barrel 40mm carbs(cant afford double barrel carbs.)?
nebreitling
a 75 1.8 w/ smog equipment is probably the least powerful stock-914 engine. a single carb will make it worse.

save your money for a 2.0, and stick to fuel injection unless it's a built motor.

n
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(73p914 @ Nov 28 2004, 11:59 PM)
ell the 73 is a 1.7 liter and the 75 is a 1.8 liter. could i gain more power if i just carbed it with single barrel 40mm carbs(cant afford double barrel carbs.)?

UGH... don't put that POS single carb on a 914!!!

The carb has no heat to it so the fuel pools in the bottom of the intake, and you end up with weird rich mixtures. Leave the injection on a stock motor. IT will work better than any carb on a stock motor.

If you build the motor for more HP, then you should consider dual carbs. But even there, you can run aftermarket FI And get better power and performance.
SirAndy
QUOTE(73p914 @ Nov 28 2004, 09:59 PM)

the single carb will make it worse. even dual carbs won't help you unless you put in a cam that is ground for carbs ...

take the '75 1.8L and run the FI that's on there or put on the FI from your 1.7L, they both will work just fine on the 1.8L ...

but, if you switch FIs between different size motors, keep in mind that you have to switch over ALL components, brain, harness, injectors, MPS, the whole crapola.
but it'll work fine, i ran a 1.8L with a 1.7L D-Jet for years ...

smash.gif Andy
Sammy
He used the plural of carb(s) so I'm guessing he is talking about the Kadron carbs which I believe are made by solex? I ran a set on my dune buggy i 1980 and they worked very well at full throttle but had flat spots.
I suppose you can get manifolds for a type 4, they work OK but nowhere near as good as webers or delortos.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.