Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 73 914 1.7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
73cool
Hello all-

I'm having a problem getting used to the positioning of first gear, hence a lot of grinding. Can you tell me what you think of the following scenario:
-clutch pedal to the floor will work sometimes
- oftentimes I have to violently slam it in.

Bushings? Cable?
Newbie obviously.
Thanks.Click to view attachment
--axel--
How's the tension in the clutch cable? This is easy to adjust (simple twist of an adjustment nut), and is frequently the cause of 1st gear issues.
pcar916
welcome.png ... Nice looking car! Never slam it into gear, that's gonna cost you a lot of money eventually.

There are a lot of threads about what you have to check out to make sure you have a healthy gearshift system, so start with the simple stuff first. This isn't an exhaustive list by the way.

This could be anything from low fluid or a clutch adjustment, to worn parts outside the transaxle (usually bushings) or at the last gasp, some parts inside the box. So start with making sure you have a gearbox full of fluid. Then there's the clutch.

If it's not fully releasing the clutch-disk when the pedal is completely depressed, it will be hard to shift into gear. If that's ok, are all of your shift-rod bushings in good shape and the shifter positioned right? How is reverse? Regardless a thorough inspection will tell you the story.

Dr. Evil has a whole set of instructions in this forum about how to do this. Do you have manuals (Haynes, Factory, etc)? They'll be required eventually if you're gonna do this and other things yourself. On this Evil has a really good batch of instructions in addition to a DVD set on a complete 914 transaxle rebuild that will lead you by the nose if you're mechanically inclined.

Good luck!
73cool
Now a new issue, it'll run 10 miles perfectly. Then, engine loses power in any gear and stalls out. Fits and starts and stops till I got it home. Ideas?
wndsrfr
QUOTE(73cool @ Jun 2 2013, 04:22 PM) *

Now a new issue, it'll run 10 miles perfectly. Then, engine loses power in any gear and stalls out. Fits and starts and stops till I got it home. Ideas?

Replace the fuel filter first and have another one handy. You can get generic ones at Advance or Zone "FLAPS" that will mostly fit--just be careful to put on double clamps if you can fit them in. If that doesn't solve it, the next step is to go after the strainer at the bottom of the tank....a bit involved, but not rocket science...
73cool
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Jun 2 2013, 06:04 PM) *

QUOTE(73cool @ Jun 2 2013, 04:22 PM) *

Replace the fuel filter first and have another one handy. You can get generic ones at Advance or Zone "FLAPS" that will mostly fit--just be careful to put on double clamps if you can fit them in. If that doesn't solve it, the next step is to go after the strainer at the bottom of the tank....a bit involved, but not rocket science...

Thanks all. I'll keep you posted.
skjl47
Hello; In addition to the already mentioned clutch cable adjustment and trans fluid check, I recall going into 2nd gear when at a stop with the clutch depressed. This seemed to help position the bits for a smoother shift into 1st. I also think it was better to move the shift lever from the neutral position fully to the left and then pull it down into first, not at a diagional.
Replacing the soft bushings in the break/clutch pedal cluster with brass bushings was a rewarding thing to and did help with both clutch pedal feel and brake pedal movement. A friends 911 got so bad he had to pull the brake pedal back with his toe. Much better after the bushings were replaced.
If the cable adjustment does not hold and must be readjusted soon, then I have seen the metal tube that the clutch cable runs thru come loose where it leaves the interior and enters the engine area. I got in the habit of checking this any time I was under a 914 for service. When this tube fails the clutch cable becomes slack and the clutch cannot be operated. I drove mine in this condition to get it home once . Had to shut the engine off at stops and start it in 1st gear then try to match revs to shift. Only had a short way to go and was able to coast into the driveway.
JawjaPorsche
Sometimes the clutch will stretch a little before it breaks. Strands start breaking causing the cable to stretch and make it hard to shift. How old is your clutch cable?
skjl47
Hello; On the fuel filter issue. I once put a metal fuel filter in place instead of a factory type. Worked fine for a while during cold weather but caused the engine to stall in slow traffic on the first warm day. Would be fine on the open road but apparently absorbed too much heat in traffic on a warm spring day. Had to let it cool down a few times to get out of the city and back out to the highway. A proper filter cured the problem.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.