Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to mount my gauges.......
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
John
I too am lightening the load this winter. I have gutted my interior of useless weight like the dashbord and virtually everything else. I am wanting to keep the 3 gauge plate with 3 gauges in it.

I am keeping the steering column (for the bearings and the starter/ignition switch).
I am keeping the 911 combo gauge (pressure/temp), a 914 fuel gauge, a Tach.

I am looking for ideas to mount the gauges/3 hole plate.

In other words, please show me what you have done.

I will post some pics Monday evening.

Thanks
ChrisReale
I have seen them mounted in the ash tray area...
I just looked through my 914 pics and dont have any examples, sorry
John
Thanks, but there is no ashtrtay.
There is no dashboard.

Perhaps I should clarify:

There is no relays.

There is but two lonely fuses.

This is in a dedicated track/race car.

I promise I will post pics later today...
John
As promised, here are some of the pics...

This is what I am thinking that I want:
John
This is another view of what I think I want:
John
My only good idea so far is to take this dash and cut it approximately at the lines I drew on it and weld this hunk of dash back in to mount the gauge pod.

Any other ideas out there?????
John
This should represent what it could look like.

I'll probably cut up that dash later and find out how little of it I can get awy with.....
Mueller
I've heard of some top drivers keeping/using the speedometer instead of deleting it...this way you don't have to remember what gear/rpm you are or were in at a particular time and place on the track
John
I've heard of some top drivers keeping/using the speedometer instead of deleting it...this way you don't have to remember what gear/rpm you are or were in at a particular time and place on the track

Too late. We haven't had a functional speedo for a couple of years. (lost it when we went 915)

People sometimes ask how fast we go, but it is not very relevent. Speed is relative and speedos tend to lie somewhat with different wheel/tire combinations anyway.

It's not too hard to remember which gear you are in for a given position on a track when you have driven a few laps. As far as RPM's go, it should stay pretty consistant. (I don't practice "indexing")

My gauge glances are usually at the beginning or middle of longer straights, not where indexing would be practical.
Gary
Consider this Pillar gauges?
Pesky 914
I saw a 914 racer at Jerry Woods' shop in CA that had the gauges mounted to the knee bar. Looked really nice. I'll see if I can dig up the picts when I get home.
John
Well here is what I tried out tonight.

I cut up the dash and mounted the fuse block to it. I need to fab some tabs to weld it in place.

From the passenger side:
John
From the driver side showing the fuse block.

I need to clean up the wiring.
John
Should I shroud the gauges like the orig. dash top did????

I need to fab brackets and bead blast mini dash and paint it.....

pic from pass. front:
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.