Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back Pad Interior Light
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
saigon71
Bought a repro a few years back from Ecklers Automotive. Tested it for fit today - not happening. Checked Pelican & Auto Atlanta. From the pics, they look to be the same reproduction light. I'm not concerned about originality, just want an operational dome light that actually fits.

Any advice on where to find a good fitting repro?

Thanks.
timothy_nd28
Click to view attachment sawzall-smiley.gif
balljoint
Cool. Lets see it installed.

My VW one holds fine in the backpad. Until it pops out again...
dlkawashima
That one comes in many sizes, but the smallest appears to be 12" long ... huh.gif

http://www.visionxusa.com/LED-Shockwave/c1_251/index.html
mrbubblehead
i believe it is a stock vw beetle light. try wolfsburg west.
Dave_Darling
Could it be that your back pad has been modified? The hole for the light enlarged?

--DD
TravisNeff
The repro Hella's are a little too long and are tough to get into the backpad. I am pretty sure the repro lights are for a VW Beetle.
DBCooper
The original lights were also VW beetle, so maybe the repros are different than the original?
saigon71
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jun 4 2013, 02:35 PM) *

The repro Hella's are a little too long and are tough to get into the backpad.

agree.gif

Thanks for the info gents. beerchug.gif It did seem a little bit long. After fiddling around with this for more time than I care to admit, I added some curl to the spring steel retaining tabs on the back side of the pad, effectively lengthening the distance between the edges of the tabs. The tabs still don't grab the light where they should, but it is held in place and looks pretty good:

Click to view attachment

GeorgeRud
Has anyone tried switching to a LED bulb for that light? I always like the fact that they do not get hot like incandescent bulbs.

If someone has done it, what is the bulb you used?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.