Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Advice on engine build in progress.....cost/parts 2270
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
adiokyro
hiya Im still working on my 1973 2.0, collecting suspension bits, wheels. the car is in line to get its longs and hell holes repaired.
QUESTION: I tore down a spare 2.0 engine and sent it to a known (known on this site even) 914 repair establishment. I sent them the bare case/crank/rods and heads, in good nick. the shop has quoted me 7k for a complete 2270 engine build including: stock crank welded and ground, cast pistons, web cam, complete stock head rebuild (with no port work whatsoever). He went on to say '2270' motors don't need port work on their heads??

My stated goal is street/autox 150hp (I have 44 webers and will probably use the tangerine exhaust). I felt like that was kind of a lot of money for a 2270 with stock heads, cast pistons, stock crank.
what do you guys think?

r_towle
QUOTE(adiokyro @ Jun 4 2013, 04:50 PM) *

hiya Im still working on my 1973 2.0, collecting suspension bits, wheels. the car is in line to get its longs and hell holes repaired.
QUESTION: I tore down a spare 2.0 engine and sent it to a known (known on this site even) 914 repair establishment. I sent them the bare case/crank/rods and heads, in good nick. the shop has quoted me 7k for a complete 2270 engine build including: stock crank welded and ground, cast pistons, web cam, complete stock head rebuild (with no port work whatsoever). He went on to say '2270' motors don't need port work on their heads??

My stated goal is street/autox 150hp (I have 44 webers and will probably use the tangerine exhaust). I felt like that was kind of a lot of money for a 2270 with stock heads, cast pistons, stock crank.
what do you guys think?

It costs 5k for a 2056

You are adding in the machine work required to weld, grind and balance the crankshaft.
You are adding in new rods

Its a very good number.
Price wise, its spot on.

As far as the rest of the configuration, I may not agree.

Rich
ConeDodger
'Don't need', and 'would benefit' are two phrases that apply and have entirely different meanings. smile.gif
ConeDodger
Oh, and the important number in this engine combo is torque, not HP...
ConeDodger
Dollar amount is at the low end. smile.gif
adiokyro
ok sounds good. yes he seems legit. I do think that I would like the headwork done and some forgy parts like je pistons and a scat crank
TheCabinetmaker
I build a 2056 with stock crank and cam and cost are just under 5k.
7k for a stroker sounds very reasonable. I hope
I can do my own that cheap.
adiokyro
I totally get it smilie_pokal.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(adiokyro @ Jun 4 2013, 04:24 PM) *

ok sounds good. yes he seems legit. I do think that I would like the headwork done and some forgy parts like je pistons and a scat crank

You should just buy Rob's motor. Better and will get you on the road quicker.

Also, if you want bigger heads, I have an awesome set for sale, never been run, ready to go. Ported to match the intakes I have.

Shoe

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...02&hl=heads
Mark Henry
QUOTE(adiokyro @ Jun 4 2013, 05:24 PM) *

Don't get JE's for the street with cast iron cylinders, use the KB's.
I'd pick the china forged crank over the Scat...which BTW is also forged in China.

You leave a a bit on the table but 150hp is do-able on a stroker engine with stock port heads. I'd make sure it has at least bugpack dual springs, retainers, keepers 1.7rockers, and porsche adjusters with a performance cam.

Price is about right if you're not counting carbs, exhaust and ignition (or install).

Add up all the other bits you need and then think about this:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...190144&st=0
Turn the key and go.
adiokyro
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 4 2013, 03:07 PM) *

QUOTE(adiokyro @ Jun 4 2013, 05:24 PM) *

Don't get JE's for the street with cast iron cylinders, use the KB's.
I'd pick the china forged crank over the Scat...which BTW is also forged in China.

You leave a a bit on the table but 150hp is do-able on a stroker engine with stock port heads. I'd make sure it has at least bugpack dual springs, retainers, keepers 1.7rockers, and porsche adjusters with a performance cam.

Price is about right if you're not counting carbs, exhaust and ignition (or install).

Add up all the other bits you need and then think about this:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...190144&st=0
Turn the key and go.

OHHHHHHHH SSSSSSSSHHHHHIIIIZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. ok Im interested. this motor is still avail? its been avail since a year ago?
adiokyro
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jun 4 2013, 02:43 PM) *

QUOTE(adiokyro @ Jun 4 2013, 04:24 PM) *

You should just buy Rob's motor. Better and will get you on the road quicker.

Also, if you want bigger heads, I have an awesome set for sale, never been run, ready to go. Ported to match the intakes I have.

Shoe

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...02&hl=heads

is rob with the 2432 raby motor?
adiokyro
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 4 2013, 02:05 PM) *

'Don't need', and 'would benefit' are two phrases that apply and have entirely different meanings. smile.gif

ha. so you are still selling the monster raby motor? its still fresh/
ConeDodger
QUOTE(adiokyro @ Jun 4 2013, 02:28 PM) *

It's still fresh. Car is a trailer queen. Only four of these in existence. So besides the Raby pedigree, it has rarity going for it. Sucker just snapped a CV joint off! Ya... It's got some torque evilgrin.gif
adiokyro
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 4 2013, 06:32 PM) *

QUOTE(adiokyro @ Jun 4 2013, 02:28 PM) *

It's still fresh. Car is a trailer queen. Only four of these in existence. So besides the Raby pedigree, it has rarity going for it. Sucker just snapped a CV joint off! Ya... It's got some torque evilgrin.gif

hey call me? 51o-205-9539
rhodyguy
building a BIG displacement engine can be daunting for a first time adventure. price out the correct heads, spark source, and exhaust to maximize power output. the fancy aluminum cyls you'd want to use is WTF.gif . you're gonna spend the money and leaving hp/torque on the table is a waste. total those up and you'll see the security of a known and operational build like rob's. iirc the 71mm crank will require 103mm cyls. somewhat frowned upon.
ChrisFoley
For a 2270 I would recommend increasing valve size to 44 x 36 and doing some mild port work to match.
Dave_Darling
Just as long as it's not one of the super-cheapie places like Import Motor.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.