Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Owned a few Porsches in my days but new to 914 world!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chipparmelly
Click to view attachment

Hello Members,

Thought I would write a bit about myself and Porsche experiences to let you know who I am. I have been advertising various parts on this site and was not totally aware of how things worked so forgive me.

I am originally from So Cal where Porsches were pretty common growing up. I owned a silver 1970 911 S European Targa, a white 1971 911 T Targa and most interestingly, a 74 Porsche 914 Renegade Hybred conversion.

The conversion started out as a metal conversion from a shop in Pomona but found out quite soon that not all individuals are honest or who they pretend to be! This person sold me on a wonderful full metal conversion, custom convertable top, custom paint job and the works. 6 months later and nearly $9,000 invested, I had to employ the LA County Sheriff to help remove my shell of a car from this shop!

I had now a frame with metal flares somewhat welded on, lost a nearly new interior, had my targa top cut off with no new top and a bit of a headache on my hands. After quite a bit of cursing and wondering what to do next, I embarked on a year or so long journey to build a V8 914. I got extremely lucky and found a body man that spent lots of his time and fixed the mess that I had inherited. Full metal flares that resembled a 930 turbo, 350 Chevy with about 375 HP, Custom 5 spoke Fuchs that were professionally widened to 11" and 9" wide respectively, new interior, wonderful paint job and just an absolute joy to own. I sold the car to a young guy in the Santa Monica area in the mid 80's and if anyone has seen that fantastic blue racer, please let me know. I unfortunately never kept a single picutre of the car and would now love to share some photos with my 18 year old son on what his dad was able to accomplish without a lot of mechanical skill, just determination!

I purchased a 74 914 1.8 about 3 years ago and had not owned a Porcsche since the 80's when 914's were not very old! I mention this as I never had heard about the hell hole rust issues, the rockers that loved to rust out and all the other issues these wonderful cars have going for them. I live in the Dallas area nowadays and in the past 13 years, I have seen 2 running 914's on the road. This still seems very strange to me as in California, they were quite prevalent. I have spent the better part of this time trying to put this car back together and finally a few months ago, got it running. I absolutely love this car and even more enjoyable, are the people that I have met from this site that also have incredible and intersting stories about their 914 experiences.

I mention all these things as I recently picked up a 73 914 2.0 that I am now parting out on this site. I am trying to offer good prices on the parts as I have been ripped off not only by the so called Porsche custom builder in California but also by sellers on various sites. If you see something you like and don't like my price, just let me know and I will see if we can work it out.

I am going to add a few pictures of my car and also a PCA badge that was on this 2.0 when I picked it up. If anyone has any ideas whether this badge is worth anything, please let me know as I am clueless.

Thanks again and I do enjoy the site and the members I have had the pleasure of talking with.

Chip Parmelly
montoya 73 2.0
welcome.png Nice car!
FourBlades
welcome.png

Cool story and nice looking car.

Wonder where your old v8 car is these days?

John
rick 918-S
Your parting out the blue car? confused24.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jun 5 2013, 12:59 AM) *

Your parting out the blue car? confused24.gif

Lets hope not. Other than mismatched paint on the passenger door that car looks good!
JawjaPorsche
welcome.png
carr914
welcome.png
FourBlades

I think he has a rusty parts car he is parting out.

He bought the parts car to help with the blue car.

I talked to him on the phone and he seems like a good guy with 914s from way back.

John
Cairo94507
Hi Chip:
welcome.png Nice story and your blue 914 looks nice. This is a nice community of people who are all afflicted with the same illness - these little cars. But hey, there are much worse things to have. Welcome aboard.
eyesright
I've watched your car on Craigs list. It looks nice and I have contemplated coming down for a look...Except I have one driveable and nearly finished and two more on jack stands.

Somebody will get a nice car or you will be forced to enjoy it for awhile longer.
FourBlades

I like the PCA badge, are those easy to find?

Don't think I have seen one before.

John
trojanhorsepower
Welcome!
I have family in Rockwall/Garland. Do you work over in the suburbs (Dallas)?
TC 914-8
Hi Chip.
Welcome !!!
Great story, I have a V-8 car and it is a very fun car, but I don't think it's the one you built sad.gif .
As far as the PCA badge I have never seen one available. Try contacting your local chapter and see if anyone knows the origin or dates they were available. Sofar (I hate to drive up the price) but 3 figures would be expected confused24.gif
welcome.png
Daiberl
Great story and welcome! welcome.png
Michael N
welcome.png

Too bad that you don't have a picture of your first car. I need to start a thread that has photos of owners with their cars. Several years ago my grandfather passed away and everyone knew that he loved his Nash Metro cars. After collecting them for years we couldn't find one photo of him with one of his cars.

Your new 914 looks nice. I love the color.

As for the PCA badge I think it may be a early badge @ 1960's with the paint removed. Here is a picture of the one on my car.

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.