Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ride height vs. stock with 165 lbs. progressive springs?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scott_in_nh
So I would like to know what size spacers I need to keep the car at about the stock ride height.

Thanks
Jeffs9146
This is what I made and it worked great until I switched to 7" rear wheels and they rubbed. I then made a set that were 1" taller. When I roll my fenders I will go back to the 2" ones!
Click to view attachment
The one on the right has been tightened down!
Click to view attachment
r_towle
Scott,

What type of rear shock do you have now?

rich
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 5 2013, 02:56 PM) *

Scott,

What type of rear shock do you have now?

rich

I have stock Boge of unkown age/history on the car

But I intend to mount these springs on a set of red Koni's that I have but have not tried on the car.
scott_in_nh
What springs are using those spacers with Jeff?

What are they made from?
Jeffs9146
160# springs

The spacers are 2" electrical conduit couplings cut at the center seam with a grinder! If you dicide you want it lower just grind off another 1/4" of the bottom of the coupler! I have done 4 sets starting at 1 1/2" and going to 3 1/2" depending on my springs and wheels!

They fit over the Koni's perfect and when you tighten the coupling it clamps the coupling to the shock!
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Jun 5 2013, 03:24 PM) *

160# springs

The spacers are 2" electrical conduit couplings cut at the center seam with a grinder! If you dicide you want it lower just grind off another 1/4" of the bottom of the coupler! I have done 4 sets starting at 1 1/2" and going to 3 1/2" depending on my springs and wheels!

They fit over the Koni's perfect and when you tighten the coupling it clamps the coupling to the shock!

What is your front end set up (torsion and sway bar) and how do you like it (road and track if you do both)?
r_towle
Get threaded spring perches for the Koni shocks.

You can set the ride height and get the added benefit of real corner balancing. The threads slip over the shock body and rest on the retainer...then you place the perch on the threaded nuts...

You have to build your own from these guys, but its the basic parts and its as cheap as you can find it...otherwise you end up buying a kit which has mark up buring in there.

You can also go down to the 2.5 inch diameter springs at that time, or later on...the springs are cheaper, and tons more available.

I might suggest you do what I did for a few years.
Night before the car would be lowered, race tires etc.
You could easily swap out rear shocks (complete with springs) the night before the event.

Raising and lowering the front is just accurate measurements.
Leave the alignement perfect for the raised setting (daily driver) and deal with it when you race...you can learn it pretty fast.

http://www.colemanracing.com/Shock-Sleeve-...tein-P3700.aspx

Rich
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 5 2013, 03:47 PM) *

You can set the ride height and get the added benefit of real corner balancing. The threads slip over the shock body and rest on the retainer...then you place the perch on the threaded nuts...

You have to build your own from these guys, but its the basic parts and its as cheap as you can find it...otherwise you end up buying a kit which has mark up buring in there.

You can also go down to the 2.5 inch diameter springs at that time, or later on...the springs are cheaper, and tons more available.

You could easily swap out rear shocks (complete with springs) the night before the event.

Leave the alignement perfect for the raised setting (daily driver) and deal with it when you race...you can learn it pretty fast.

Rich

Of course you are right Rich, but what a slippery slope!

The springs may be cheaper, then then I need top and bottom spring perches right?

Just doing the adjusters adds $100 to the job....
Jeffs9146
What is your front end set up (torsion and sway bar) and how do you like it (road and track if you do both)?

I have not finished the front yet! I am in the process of redoing my front with turbo tie rods new ball joints and refreshed bushings. I have a stock front sway bar.

The rear is waiting for my fenders to be rolled so I can put it back down on the lower perches!

FYI these spacers cost me $5.59 for both 1 1/2" - 2"ers and $11.18 for two of all the longer ones!
r_towle
QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ Jun 5 2013, 04:03 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 5 2013, 03:47 PM) *

Rich

Of course you are right Rich, but what a slippery slope!

The springs may be cheaper, then then I need top and bottom spring perches right?

Just doing the adjusters adds $100 to the job....

Yup. Tis a slope, and its steep and slippery.
By this time next year, your car will have a whole new suspension...and wheels/tires...

But, with a bit of effort, and piece of tube steel from home depot will do what you want...
Needs to have the ID the same as the OD of the shock body.

If you have welded perches and not adjustable perches on the Koni's you can carefully cut off the perch and leave the heavy round shelf.
Piece of pipe, perch, spring...done

If you have adjustable perches on the Kon'is a piece of pipe is all you need...simple.

I wanted to to see all the parts you can buy...then your mind will come up with a solution that works for you...just see how they do it based upon all those pieces and parts.

Now, how important is that ride height????
An inch may be with alot of effort.

Decisions Decisions....

rich
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 5 2013, 05:49 PM) *

Decisions Decisions....

rich

Yes, but that is part of the fun smile.gif

I started this thread to see what size spacer to make - that would still be helpful.

I buy parts here and there and they don't always end up on the car right away - I know you know what that is like Rich stirthepot.gif

So I might have the sleeves before I have to put everything on the car - I don't even have the springs yet! confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.