Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: hell hole
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tomh
Looked at a nice 73 2.0 today,battery tray was loose and a bit rotted,every other area was in great shape.looking on Pelican i am seeing sheetmetal parts for that area. Is the upper right wheelhouse part used for that fix along with the new battery tray. Can the metal in question be cleaned and the new sheetmetal "bonded" on.Click to view attachment
trojanhorsepower
Where to begin.....
New metal can be bonded on, it will just be a matter of bonded to where.
I would recommend that someone in the area do a PPI for you, if you can arrange it. It can be fixed no matter what but whether it is worth it to you is a matter that can only be answered when you have a lot more information.
tomh
QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Jun 5 2013, 05:41 PM) *

Where to begin.....
New metal can be bonded on, it will just be a matter of bonded to where.
I would recommend that someone in the area do a PPI for you, if you can arrange it. It can be fixed no matter what but whether it is worth it to you is a matter that can only be answered when you have a lot more information.

its just the area the battery tray attaches too.
trojanhorsepower
Nice!
I am sure someone else will jump in here, but I believe the Restoration Design parts are the upper wheelhouse, battery try and battery support Parts: P330, P316, P317.
tomeric914
Do a search for +digging +into +hell

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=16748

Enjoy the read. As you said, "its just the area the battery tray attaches too" (sic)
SirAndy
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Jun 5 2013, 06:10 PM) *
As you said, "its just the area the battery tray attaches too" (sic)

agree.gif

More often than not, that's just the tip of the rustberg ...
dry.gif
Trekkor
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 5 2013, 06:49 PM) *

...the tip of the rustberg ...
dry.gif

I like that!

KT
reharvey
" Just a little surface rust under the battery " can cost you $$$$$$$$$$$$
brant
welding is much better in my opinion

and you can't bond well to a previously rusty surface

76-914
Something looks "off" on that rear bumper top. blink.gif
David Stowers
Bonding in a crucial structural area is a complete crime. Welding is the only way to go. My car had had the hellhole 'fixed' but when I got it someone had glued patches over the rust around the suspension console and battery tray area. As this was removed to allow a proper repair to be done the nasty sticky stuff melted while the old stuff was cut out and clogged up numerous disks and flap wheels. The residue it left then created smoke and fumes and made welding extremely difficult. Here in the UK any rust within 30cm of the main chassis member or mounts for steering suspension or brakes has to be welded with continuos weld with full penetration before it is legally allowed on the road.
I'm pretty sure if my car had been in an accident with its 'bonded repair' the result would have been extremely unpleasant.
Glue it if you like but good luck if you get rear ended. welder.gif
obscurity
Can you post photos of the area?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.