Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone have a photo of the the oil/air vents/Tubes coming off of late 72 1.7L Heads
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
casey944
I dont recall ever having the hoses hooked up that come out of my late 72 1.7L head where you can feel venting exiting the car. Recently did a bunch of tune up work and went for the first real drive yesterday. Car is running well but both of the vents had quite a bit of oil come out and go all over the engine tin. Realize this was over a 30 mile highway drive... I pulled over, plugged in the one by cyl3(had a hose there) cleaned up the mess and then drove some more... Then I notice oil coming out of the other port on the drivers side of the engine by my carb manifold... However I dont see a hose over there to plug it in to...

Anyone have a diagram of how this is to work or a kit? I honestly dont feel either of these had ever been plugged in but since I recently changed the oil(and possibly overfilled a bit) that might have caused the excess oil above the engine... For once the bottom of my engine doesnt leak but the top does!

Thanks in advance.

Casey
nathansnathan
IPB Image
The orange ones go to the head vent tubes and to the flashback valve. The elbow goes to the air cleaner. - I think that's what you are looking for?
type47
hoses 4, 5 and 6 in the diagram but with carbs, I don't know where the hose (in the diagram from the anti-flashback valve to the air cleaner) would go to. With FI it goes to the air cleaner so maybe to one of your carb air cleaners. There is also an aftermarket "thingy" that the head vent hoses go to; don't know the exact name but I've seen pix of it here... the vent hose is 13mm if I recall.... (but then the Bowlsby diagram says that huh.gif )
Click to view attachment
casey944
I am assuming it was just a little overfilled as I had never dealt with this before. I think i will likely create some sort of catch cant to port both sides into.
Dave_Darling
Search for "breather box" or "puke tank". That's how people with carb conversions generally handle the PCV hoses.

--DD
type47
QUOTE(casey944 @ Jun 6 2013, 10:24 AM) *

I am assuming it was just a little overfilled as I had never dealt with this before. I think i will likely create some sort of catch cant to port both sides into.

I would think you'd need something as there would at least be oil vapor coming out of the ports in the heads and spewing oil vapor into your engine compartment and creating a mess there...
rhodyguy
lunch time during the mad push.

1. what dave wrote.

2. drill holes in your carb tops and connect the 2 head tubes/ports w/hoses if you fancy the idea of making a mess of your carbs. esp if you're blowing quantities of oil with tubes uncapped. i take it the pcv valve on the oil fill tower is wide open too?

2. buy a 3 outlet breather box (cb performance has them) and connect 2 of the lines to the head tubes and one to the pvc valve location. they work ok but require oily maint and but don't trap all of the vapor (in my experience). the box has to be mounted high enough for the oil to run downhill back to the fill tower.

3. check out one of chris folley's (cfw in the member vendor forum) catch/ return tanks. i installed one yesterday.

k
casey944
I ordered a Catch can from a 930. Planning on putting a T on the top to run both head vents off of it and then running a small filter on the top... The bottom will drain to the PCV which is likely wide open...

Should run about 75 bucks when I am done!

Thanks fo rthe suggestions.

Casey
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.