Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: original 914/6 14"FUCHS coming my way soon!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
Thanks to a member here, i am in the process of acquiring a set(5) original
914/6 14" fuchs . While many are moving in the direction of 16,17, even 18's, i have since deciding to buy the 5 lug conversion set up that BillH organized, have been looking at everything from 14, 15, and 16's. But while price is a factor for me, my buget is small, i wanted to go with something that was period correct. SO along came a matching number set of 14's - , the change means no low profile tires anymore -

I am currenly running 15" 5.5 8 spoke EMPI's that i refinished a couple years ago.
I have 195/50 's on those rims, and my speedometer at 50-60mph is with in 1/2mph of correct, which according to the charts , it should be off by quite a bit more than that(verified with GPS). My rear fender lips are rolled so i should be able to stay with anything from 185-205. my research yesterday led me to a site www.rimsntires.com for conversion. I know that the originals were 165 hr
which i believe are ess. a 165/70? please correct if this is wrong. I believe several sources indicated this is a 25.5" diameter(stock for our 75 914 with 15" rims) .

but going by this i end up with either 195/65 -14 being within .5mph of the original,
but keeping closer to what my current diameter would be
then either 195/60 or 205/55 14 would be closer .

now the problem is i cant find any 205/55 or 205 60 14 tires

So i am looking for suggestions from anyone who has run the 14" on their /6 or a 911/912 for the same periord.

Thanks for the help!
ConeDodger
Very limited selection... Good luck.
JStroud
I have 14" Fuchs also, not many choices in 14". McMark sent me a link to a search for 14" tires that was awesome, I'll try and find it, or maybe he'll post it.

This is what I bought, really like them, they hold the road well, but then I pretty much autocross everywhere I go aktion035.gif

Click to view attachment

They won't keep your speedo correct, but I didn't find any I liked that would.

Good luck.

Jeff
brant
the 14's have a very very good offset
they are 2mm different than a 7R wheel and basically perfect for a 914

so you can go with most tires
members here have even run 215/14's on stock fenders
205's should be easy with that rim.
because the rim is only 5.5, you may want to stay skinny.
JStroud
http://tires.tirerack.com/tires/14%20Tires

Found it.

Jeff
billh1963
Phil...pictures of those Fuchs are required; of course! biggrin.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(jsconst @ Jun 6 2013, 10:05 AM) *

I have 14" Fuchs also, not many choices in 14". McMark sent me a link to a search for 14" tires that was awesome, I'll try and find it, or maybe he'll post it.

This is what I bought, really like them, they hold the road well, but then I pretty much autocross everywhere I go aktion035.gif

Click to view attachment

They won't keep your speedo correct, but I didn't find any I liked that would.

Good luck.

Jeff

i like those!, actually on the Rimsntires.com site there are 6 brands that carry the 195/60 and 4 195/65.

as far as speedo reading the 195/60 are a perfect match for mine as it is set now
I even considered going a little wider in the rear with a 205/55 but those are the ones that i cant find and tires in that size, but i will keep looking.

i know the offset of these is really perfect for this car, the 4 lug empi are a different offset, and while they look nice, due to the offset of them, even the 195s are tight with the fenders rolled. the fuchs should fit better and the fronts will fill the wheel wells out better i think.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jun 6 2013, 11:09 AM) *

Phil...pictures of those Fuchs are required; of course! biggrin.gif

of course. Hoping to have them next week. - they are in need of a little TLC, and i am going to refinish them, along the lines of that article in motoring news i forwarded to you, Bill. then of course a thread with pictures will follow!
DRPHIL914
here you go , Bill.
DRPHIL914
Jeff,

on tirerack.com
i found those 195/60 Dunlop Direzza for $119 - close out sale , though so i am not sure they will be around for long

also they have 205/55's Toyo Streetable track ultra performance tires but $149 each
the rest were all straight track use tires in that size

Luke M
Hey those look very familiar.... beerchug.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Luke M @ Jun 6 2013, 02:23 PM) *

Hey those look very familiar.... beerchug.gif

Yes, I suppose the do! I see you had 195/ 75 tires on there - I am looking at 195/65's

Now I am motivated to get my 5 lug a put on a.s.a.p.! piratenanner.gif

Thanks, Luke!
SUNAB914
Phil's back!
eyesright
I installed the fronts with new bearings 1 1/2 weeks ago. Pulled the rear hubs and bearings last weekend. Put the new bearings, hubs and wheels on yesterday. This is a '70 conversion with a 2.2L. I mounted some Goodyear Vivas 195 75 14. Like you I was after the original look and tire choices are limited. (Well, okay, the originals wouldn't have been all black.) These are just as tall and a tad wider than the original 185R 14's. I got them at Walmart! I'm just looking for a driver for now. For performance, everybody goes with lower profile. Thanks to PMB Performance.
mepstein
I bet they make for a comfortable ride.
billh1963
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Jun 6 2013, 08:14 PM) *

Phil's back!

He's been lurking.... biggrin.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(eyesright @ Jun 6 2013, 08:36 PM) *

I installed the fronts with new bearings 1 1/2 weeks ago. Pulled the rear hubs and bearings last weekend. Put the new bearings, hubs and wheels on yesterday. This is a '70 conversion with a 2.2L. I mounted some Goodyear Vivas 195 75 14. Like you I was after the original look and tire choices are limited. (Well, okay, the originals wouldn't have been all black.) These are just as tall and a tad wider than the original 185R 14's. I got them at Walmart! I'm just looking for a driver for now. For performance, everybody goes with lower profile. Thanks to PMB Performance.

Nice, so 185's are the original size tire? Good to know . BTW I do like the all blacked out and polished rim, but I will be doing the polished pedals.

Chris, I am always lurking,, and I think you will be back in the 914 game at some point too its in your blood!

GeorgeRud
I also kept my 14" Fuchs that came with my 914-6. The older I get, the more I like the look of a larger sidewall instead of the ultra low profile of newer tires for a vintage car.

Coker Tires does have more original types of tires, but you do pay quite a premium. Tire Rack seems to have a good selection, and the Dunlap Direzzas look like a good choice.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jun 6 2013, 10:17 PM) *

I also kept my 14" Fuchs that came with my 914-6. The older I get, the more I like the look of a larger sidewall instead of the ultra low profile of newer tires for a vintage car.

Coker Tires does have more original types of tires, but you do pay quite a premium. Tire Rack seems to have a good selection, and the Dunlap Direzzas look like a good choice.

agree.gif
I just read that when there is no aspect ratio listed, like our 914/4's (165r 15) for example , it is assumed to be 80 or 82. So the stock tire was 165/80 15. Or in the case of your original 914/6 , 185/80 14.( vwt4forum.com- "the meaning of tyre markings"))
I do like the 195/65 14 like Jeff has from dunlop. And they are a performance street and track.
Since my speedometer had already been adjusted for my lower profile tires I will compromise, just little lower than stock, slightly more than I had, which will improve ride, gas milage etc.

SUNAB914
Started one yesterday, vroom, vroom! Bill wants to leave these cars at my house. Heck, I even cleaned the dash.
billh1963
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Jun 7 2013, 09:23 AM) *

Started one yesterday, vroom, vroom! Bill wants to leave these cars at my house. Heck, I even cleaned the dash.

Not much longer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.