Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Video: Papa Smurf at Road Atlanta...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
naro914
...but just couldn't keep up with a Ferrari 458 Challenge Car...

Feel free to 'subscribe' to our YouTube Channel where I post most of our videos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VmxplmLGKs
ruby914
QUOTE(naro914 @ Jun 6 2013, 11:30 AM) *

Feel free to 'subscribe' to our YouTube Channel where I post most of our videos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VmxplmLGKs

That was great! Thanks for the ride. biggrin.gif
naro914
what's funny is...watching the video, it looks like I was on a sunday drive! But in the car I felt I was pushing it like crazy, and after each session I was completely worn out!!

Oh...notice how the Ferrari wiggled down the hill onto the front straight after he passed me? Scared me a bit...thought I'd catch a very expensive incident on camera..
JawjaPorsche
That was real cool! Thanks for the ride! beerchug.gif
Chris H.
Awesome video! I miss Road Atlanta so thanks for the flashback. Used to go there as a kid (a LONG time ago).
rick 918-S
Cool ! That Ferrari has some long legs
r_towle
Dude...its a shift light...!!!!!

I love that car...and you may have spilled your coffee on one of the corners, but you are right....looked like a nice sunday drive.

rich
naro914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 6 2013, 04:46 PM) *

Dude...its a shift light...!!!!!

Huh?
naro914
if you're referring to me not shifting between T5-T6 and riding the light on, I have it set a bit low (7200), and you notice I back out and 'coast' to T6. It's only a DE...no reason to strain the engine up to 8k.

First full weekend with the new engine, wing, splitter too and I'm having to adjust my shifting - cars much faster. I've NEVER run into the shift light before T6, so i tried going to 5th a few times, then quickly back to 4th. Later in the 30 minutes of video from that run and all the rest of the weekend I hit the shift light at the end of the long straight, in 5th gear....145 mph...never been close to that either!. Data shows I was faster everywhere... but it looks like i can go much faster!!
kid914
Man!!!! she has a niiiiiiiiiice sound. wub.gif
drooley.gif aktion035.gif
ConeDodger
3.2? smile.gif
toadman
Damn!! That was awsome!!
poorsche914
Does Papa Smurf have a passenger seat drooley.gif

914outlaw
Very cool. Thanks for sharing.
jmill
It's geared damn near perfect. Do you mind sharing your trans specs?
porbmw
Nice!

That's the most fun I've had all week!

THanks!
Sweet! piratenanner.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(naro914 @ Jun 6 2013, 11:30 AM) *

You had him in the corners!

first.gif
naro914
QUOTE(kid914 @ Jun 6 2013, 09:26 PM) *

Man!!!! she has a niiiiiiiiiice sound. wub.gif
drooley.gif aktion035.gif

He!!

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 6 2013, 09:43 PM) *

3.2? smile.gif

yes, 3.2 - 11.5:1 compression, twin plug, lots of good stuff in the engine.

QUOTE(scotty boy @ Jun 6 2013, 09:51 PM) *

looks like you scared the guys with the big wallets lol-2.gif

Um...if I added up the receipts on Papa Smurf, I could probably own the Ferrari...

QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Jun 6 2013, 09:51 PM) *

Yes!!

QUOTE(jmill @ Jun 6 2013, 11:46 PM) *

It's geared damn near perfect. Do you mind sharing your trans specs?

Not at all. Flipped 5th & 3rd, adding a R Gear for 4th giving A, F, KA, R, Z. Also has Guards LSD, billet intermediate plate, and oil cooling lines.

I have one with this gear stack for sale - no LSD billet IP or oil cooling just a stock box with the A,F,KA,R,Z gears...$1000. That 4th gear alone is $750

The trans in Papa might be for sale in the near future. Bought a 915 with the Vellios system on it so I want to try it out and see how it runs.
naro914
Couple people asked me some questions about Papa and his history.
Go to www.naroescapemotorsports.com, click on the Cars link at the top and go to either Papa's image for his history, or Huey's for his. Lots of pictures, video's, etc up there.

Enjoy...
URY914
No driver's suit? I see your bare arms. confused24.gif
7TPorsh
Thanks for that...I'm breathing harder now than you are in the video...
naro914
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jun 7 2013, 02:35 PM) *

No driver's suit? I see your bare arms. confused24.gif

Only a DE, not a race..
oldschool
Great run...man, I was there on a job some time ago, but WOW! your 14 sounds and runs..prettyyy coool and now I know how that track should look... aktion035.gif
rhodyguy
a 145mph DE. too funny!

the first wave by was classic!

taking the guy @ 3:45 on the outside was SUPER classic!!! thousands and thousands worth of $$$ pucker factor. "f'in 914" smile.gif

prob the best in car 914 race footage i've ever seen. the car sounds fantastic! does the newfy targa still call out to you?
brp986s
Would you be faster in a gt3? I wonder about the skill level and commitment of those guys. Definitely great to see that a 40 yr old teener can perform at that level in capable hands.
naro914
Thanks for all the great comments, but honestly I need to be about 5 sec/lap faster to be competitive. Still have some tuning to do on the engine...and the driver!

rhodyguy - go to my website and click on the 2009 Club Race hightlight video. My first time every at Road Atlanta...THAT was a good race.
poorsche914
QUOTE(brp986s @ Jun 8 2013, 10:59 AM) *
Would you be faster in a gt3? I wonder about the skill level and commitment of those guys. Definitely great to see that a 40 yr old teener can perform at that level in capable hands.
Bob,
I was wondering the same thing especially since you have a GT3 to compare it to.

driving.gif
naro914
answer is no. For one, we won't take our GT3 on the track - can't afford to wreck it since its a daily driver, can't afford to buy new tires for it, and it does not have a roll bar, harneses, etc.
Second, I am ALWAYS faster than street GT3's. Yes, some of them in the video we not exactly pushing it, but on most tracks I'm faster than them. Power/weight is much better in Papa than a GT3 anyway. yes, they have more modern suspension, steering, shifting, etc, but it's fun to catch and pass them. (though now that Papa looks like a pure bad-ass race car, its kind of expected that I'm faster!)
Third...I MUCH prefer driving a 914 on the track than a 911. I've driven a bunch, but for me they do not instill the confidence that a 914 does.
And fourth...when you have a car like Papa Smurf, why would you??? confused24.gif

the only cars faster than me in the group were a 997 Cup car, and the Ferrari.
r_towle
So, how much hp did you end up squeaking out of that motor?
aircooledtechguy
WOW!! Your car flat-out flies!! That video is as inspiring for my 914 as the videos of the "Race-taxi" are for my VW Squareback project. Thanks for sharing that.

It is interesting how most in-car videos seem a lot more leasurely than they are in real life. . .
3d914
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Jun 6 2013, 06:51 PM) *

Awesome ride man! Thanks. I'm sure if it did have a passenger seat I wouldn't last in it without hurling!

driving.gif
naro914
Yes, Does have a passengers seat and I love to take people out when I can. Only one person has ever gotten sick... smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.