Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electric 914, 2700lbs - front end sagging - HELP!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
memon
Hello World. I completed an electric conversion of my 73' 914 With 56 200AmpHour Lithium cells. http://www.evsmile.com
The car is fun and fast and has a range of 120 miles. The car weighs 2700 lbs. I beefed up the rear springs but did nothing for the front and after driving around with the extra weight including my 210lbs, the front is sagging. Any suggestions anyone. Pelican parts has torsion bars that are thicker than stock, I think 21 to 22 mm. That do the trick? Thank you!
SirAndy
QUOTE(memon @ Jun 6 2013, 04:32 PM) *
That do the trick?

Yepp, bigger torsion bars = heavier springs
driving.gif
messix
under the car, where that arm meets the pivot on the body there is a adjustment "bolt" to adjust the preload on the torsion bar. there is one on each side.

that might get you were you need to be or you might have to get some different torsion bars that are a heavier spring rate.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 6 2013, 04:42 PM) *

QUOTE(memon @ Jun 6 2013, 04:32 PM) *
That do the trick?

Yepp, bigger torsion bars = heavier springs
driving.gif

Waaaaayy bigger torsion bars. biggrin.gif
messix
- full tank of fuel and the tank and the spare I bet = 120-130lbs. how much more is the battery pack up front?
memon
QUOTE(messix @ Jun 6 2013, 07:53 PM) *

- full tank of fuel and the tank and the spare I bet = 120-130lbs. how much more is the battery pack up front?

I have 275 lbs of batteries in the front. My thinking exactly, got rid of the fuel tank and the spare so only 150lbs extra. There is also 165 lbs of batteries in the rear trunk. and the rest of the additional weight (300 ish pounds) in the engine compartment. But, I am guessing some of the weight goes to the front not all in the back. I guess I will get the biggest torsion bars I can get and see it that works.

Thanks Everyone!
GeorgeRud
Please post some pictures of your conversion ( if you haven't already). Everyone enjoys seeing unique, clever engineering!

I always thought an electric 914 (with the license plate 'FUEPA') would make a nice daily driver.
PThompson509
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jun 6 2013, 06:22 PM) *

Please post some pictures of your conversion ( if you haven't already). Everyone enjoys seeing unique, clever engineering!

I always thought an electric 914 (with the license plate 'FUEPA') would make a nice daily driver.

I dunno, I kinda like my "E914" plates. beerchug.gif

Oh - out of curiosity - what is your 0 to 60? Mine is roughly 12 seconds, but I need to put in a beefier clutch and figure out how to deal with the batteries better.
monkeyboy
My car was under 2100 lbs fully loaded on the scales. I think the front wheels were in the 480 lbs range per side.

You will need heavier torsion bars to make it ride nice. I would guess the heaviest you can get wouldn't hurt.
Spoke
welcome.png

When you say sagging front end, I assume you mean it's riding lower than you want.

For a quick fix to the sagging front end, adjust the ride height screws on the torsion bars.

If this doesn't work, get bigger bars.

BTW, love to see some pics of your car and the conversion.
SLITS
You could change the suspension carrier / control arms to the 911 style which would provide for larger torsion bars. You could keep your 914 struts.
okieflyr
If it is an east coast car make sure the front sheetmetal around the attachment points are solid (without rust) so they can take the additional load. Then as stated above, bigger torsions and known good shocks may be in order to control the weight.
memon
QUOTE(okieflyr @ Jun 7 2013, 12:13 PM) *

If it is an east coast car make sure the front sheetmetal around the attachment points are solid (without rust) so they can take the additional load. Then as stated above, bigger torsions and known good shocks may be in order to control the weight.

Good point about the rust maybe the east coast car is failing. The top of the shock towers are in good shape, but I suppose that doesn't mean anything. The first question you get with an electric car is "how far does it go on a charge". So I went a bit crazy on this one with the 56 200 amp hour cells. I call it the Range Monger.
So big 200 Volt battery pack with a Soliton 1 controler and a warp 9 motor - stage two racing clutch low roll resistant tires.
I could have made a perfectly fine functioning car with less batteries and weight, but I was going for max range.
The Soliton 1 is completely programable and has been set up conservatively so I don't kill myself. I don't know about 0-60 but I did do a quater mile 80 plus miles an hour in the mid 17 seconds.
My tag reads EVSMILE
there are pictures at www.evsmile.com
but not of the finished car. And of course by finished I mean working but still list of things to work on like water proofing the engine compartment and getting the tach to work. and...
There is a little video of the green 914 at the following http://blog.evtv.me/evccon/
Scroll to video at bottom of screen go in 34:20 electric car parade then red 914 at 34:45
memon
Okay I just got off the phone with Pelican parts and Glen suggested that sawzall-smiley.gif I replace the A arms with 911 (69-86).
He claims that
1. They will have bigger torsion bars already in them.
2. They Should bolt right up.
3. If Bigger torsion bars are then needed they are very easy to get.
Thoughts. Also Thoughts on where I can get the newest used 911 A Arms that I can get.
r_towle
I dont agree with Glen.

Get the 21mm bars...you cant even move my car with those.

You may be in for a 500 (or more) swap over, and new wheels and tires if you go for a 911 5 lug front end.

rich
messix
Using the 911 front suspension with the brakes would be a great idea since you are packing a lot more weight and with out the engine compression assisting braking.

You would then convert to 5 lug wheels too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.