Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: a most basic need
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1970 Neun vierzehn
After changing my oil & filter last month, and using my last drain plug gasket (aka crush ring), I thought I'd go purchase another half dozen. Usually I would go to the local VW dealer and buy them, but after visiting two local dealers, they both said "no can get" sad.gif
OK, go to the nearby Porsche store....."no can get" huh.gif
Alright then, check with the Audi folks...."we do not have anything like that"
I checked with two FLAPS.....nothing at all.
Pelican Parts....no joy

....and finally, a certain business wants $4.27 to "ship" a 1 ounce crush ring :WTF

Surely this hasn't become a "rare" item.....anybody got a suggestion as to where to find the properly sized oil drain plug gasket?
ThePaintedMan
Pelican has them, but they're included in the sump/strainer gasket kit. Don't think you can get them by themselves.
76-914
copper crush rings can be had at most flaps, can't they?
mrbubblehead
i just use the regular copper washers. not crush rings, solid ones, like used on brakes between banjo fittings. summit sells them by the dozen.
Black22
agree.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
Every "crush ring" , either copper or aluminum, that I've tried to match with my last one has been too wide to fit correctly around the drain plug. sad.gif
bandjoey
Zims has flat aluminum washers I've been buying for 2 years. Never a leak. Yes they are slightly oversize but the seal. Not on their www. Have to call them.

I'm just a customer FYI

allzim.com
rhodyguy
contact rotary914 in the vendors forum.

$4.27 to ship dry.gif WTF.gif bs.gif confused24.gif . an envelope with 10 of them taped to a sheet of paper would mail for the cost of a forever stamp.
DBCooper
A T4 sump gasket kit is about $2.00 from ANY aftermarket VW parts house. Try:

JBugs or Bus Boys or Aircooled.net (recommended, and they also have just the copper washers for 50 cents apiece) or many others. When it's standard engine stuff the VW is a LOT cheaper and more available than it is as "Porsche".

And by the way if that's what you want that's fine, but you don't really need a crush washer, a flat copper washer works just as well. They don't crush but they don't leak, and that's what's important.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 6 2013, 07:31 PM) *

copper crush rings can be had at most flaps, can't they?

No. They all carry the solid copper washers, if anything, and those don't crush adequately under 11 ft/lbs of torque.

The Cap'n
worn
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jun 6 2013, 06:24 PM) *

....and finally, a certain business wants $4.27 to "ship" a 1 ounce crush ring :WTF

Well you could buy ten and amortize the shipping... idea.gif
Mblizzard
In the past, I have made them from nylon or Deldrin rod stock. Don't know if these materials are right for the application but I never had a leak.
nathansnathan
When I have bought them individually from bus depot, they sent solid copper and not crush washers. They seal fine for me, though. Drain plug should get 16 ft/lbs torque, not 11.
michael7810
I've been using a nylon seal from FLAPS
reharvey
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12mm-ID-COPPER-CRU...S-/390285719861

These are not crush washers but they are the right size. Haven't had any problem with them leaking.
Cap'n Krusty
I have a call in to my supplier for the washers. Might take him a couple of days to get back to me.

The Cap'n
rhodyguy
the dreaded shipping AND handling fee with AA.
yeahmag
Copper washer and heat them red hot with a MAP torch makes them "dead soft". Works for me...
jesiv
High Performance House has them I picked up six a couple of days ago

Regards

James
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(jesiv @ Jun 9 2013, 10:17 AM) *

High Performance House has them I picked up six a couple of days ago

Regards

James

Rich came through clap56.gif , and I got six of those "rare" items. That is the second occasion where High Performance House has come through for me in my search for what should be commonplace pieces.

Thanks to Rich, and James for reminding me about HPH.

Paul
stugray
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ttn-4521...CFUQ6Qgodb2MAIw

The description says "crush washer" but the pics looks like solid copper.
bandjoey
Just bought a bag o washers from Zims. I'm just a customer there.
Allzim.com

anderssj
I thought I had a line on a similar product by PAPCO (PN 263-844, crush-type drain plug gasket, 17/32 x ¾ x .80), but it's a little too big (17/32 inner diameter is about 13.5mm compared to the 12mm we need).

So it looks like Rich has the OEM puffy washers in CA and Zim's has them in TX . . . I better give them a call and stock up.

Any others that have the OEM N0138051 12mm x 18mm crush-type drain plug gasket?

Thanks in advance!

Steve A-
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.