Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: thelogo. charging your dead optima
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhodyguy
not wanting to buy a new battery to replace my almost fully discharged (.4 v) one i found this online. take a KNOWN fully charged bat and connect the dead one in parallel with a set of jumper cables, +to+ and -to-. connect the charger to the dead bat and charge for 1 hour. then remove the jumpers and charge the previously dead one as normal. it worked GREAT!! not wanting to overcharge by letting the trickle charger run all night i stopped last evening and i checked the v this am. lost .1 volts. on a recharge mode this am for a full charge. if successful its money in the bank.
76-914
Cool. Let us know how it holds up. How old is the battery?
rhodyguy
bought it years ago at costco and it has been sitting disconnected for a for a long time. the one that came with the green car has been sitting for months and still had 12+v. i used that one for the parallel to 'fool' the charger.

k
nathansnathan
Is that the yellow or the red optima, though?
worn
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 7 2013, 05:43 AM) *

not wanting to buy a new battery to replace my almost fully discharged (.4 v) one i found this online. take a KNOWN fully charged bat and connect the dead one in parallel with a set of jumper cables, +to+ and -to-. connect the charger to the dead bat and charge for 1 hour. then remove the jumpers and charge the previously dead one as normal. it worked GREAT!! not wanting to overcharge by letting the trickle charger run all night i stopped last evening and i checked the v this am. lost .1 volts. on a recharge mode this am for a full charge. if successful its money in the bank.

Isn't that the Optima suggested charging recovery mode? I have a 3-year old red top that is sort of funky about charging but won't die. But the battery in the 911 is a 10-year old die hard, so maybe the money isn't the thing.
championgt1
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Jun 7 2013, 07:28 AM) *

Red
nathansnathan
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Jun 7 2013, 08:31 AM) *

QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Jun 7 2013, 07:28 AM) *

Red

Awesome, I was gonna say the yellow ones are supposed to be able to go dead, the deep cycle. Some people do use them for starter batteries. Good tip, I have a red and a yellow at the shop running a sink. smile.gif
rhodyguy
the dual bat charge worked great. even with the cranking yest the multimeter reads 12.3v this am.
rhodyguy
as i'm the weak 'linker' read this.
martinef1963
I tried this on a red top with no success. I took the red top to have it charged, but it couldn't hold a charge.

I picked up another red top (34R) on line for 160 bucks, now have it in the car and have the one I couldn't charge on the stand.

Any suggestions? Would love to have two good red tops available.

Fern
rhodyguy
did you try this with your new, fully charged bat?
thelogo

icon_bump.gif

bootyshake.gif

I went.with the home depo 20 $ maintainer by black

And decker but........... The directions specifically state that you
Do not use on dry cell home appliance type batteries

The dry cell is the part that has me concerned . As ooptima red
Is I guess ? A dry cell

But supposed smart chargers work so I'm trying it

The red top is pretty much a write off for me at this point I'm sick of it

Shame really , but this will be a last ditch effort and if it deforms or b

Then screw it!!!___

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;+;+;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

A prince and a great man has fallen ....

Ty Cobb
thelogo
QUOTE(thelogo @ Nov 5 2013, 05:27 PM) *

icon_bump.gif

bootyshake.gif

I went.with the home depo 20 $ maintainer by black

And decker but........... The directions specifically state that you
Do not use on dry cell home appliance type batteries

The dry cell is the part that has me concerned . As ooptima red
Is I guess ? A dry cell

But supposed smart chargers work so I'm trying it

The red top is pretty much a write off for me at this point I'm sick of it

Shame really , but this will be a last ditch effort and if it deforms or b

Then screw it!!!___

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;+;+;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

A prince and a great man has fallen ....

Ty Cobb

This charger

http://m.homedepot.com/p/BLACK-DECKER-Batt...BM3B/202710992/

This one ,
pcar916
Optima is an Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) battery and is a sealed. wet cell type.

A dry-cell battery has far too much internal resistance to give out the cranking amps needed for starting our engines. That's the advantage wet cells have... almost no internal resistance, and it's why we can hurt ourselves if the electrodes are shorted. Massive and instantaneous current flow.

You should only use chargers that are certified for AGM batteries to get the most out of them. Generally that means no higher than 1 amp, at least from Optima docs.
bernbomb914
Opyima make a bat. charger for their bat.
thelogo

Please advise anyone who know what I'm talkin about

Black and decker charger/maintain er seems to be ok

Multi meter is reading on the 20 v setting

And
With mainytaner on

But im hesitant to leave the maintainer in attended
So it s on like only a hour a day .

Called black and decker customer service to
Find out about agm, charging , they did a automated
Voice then just hung up +

"
I'm comin down there "

Ty Cobb.,

"what a ballplayer "

TravisNeff
hmm, I have recharged my red top optima at least a half dozen times in the past 7 years with a trickle charge and has always worked..
Porsche930dude
usually if my charger doesnt work I put jumpers on a running car and charge it up that way. an alternater puts out alot more amps than my 6 amp charger so it kinda shocks it. then put it ack on the charger till its topped up. If that doesnt work I usually give up on it. I do have a bunch of old batterys iv been thinking about buying a desulfator or building one. Not sure if it would work on an optima but worth a try i guess
thelogo
QUOTE(thelogo @ Nov 7 2013, 02:17 PM) *

Please advise anyone who know what I'm talkin about

Black and decker charger/maintain er seems to be ok

Multi meter is reading on the 20 v setting

And
With mainytaner on

But im hesitant to leave the maintainer in attended
So it s on like only a hour a day .

Called black and decker customer service to
Find out about agm, charging , they did a automated
Voice then just hung up +

"
I'm comin down there "

Ty Cobb.,

"what a ballplayer "

And its optima red top , and it appears to be manufactured in 2008

So May be its time is up ???
Porsche930dude
I started doing a bit of expearimenting. With the help of U-tube smile.gif I discovered a good trick of using ebsom salt to desulfate batteries. That paired with a capactive battery charger should repair most batteries. I didnt have any ebsom salt around but I thew together a capaitive charger with spare parts its super simple. and it seems to work great. I got a stone dead battey to full charge. I have yet to see if it will hold the charge but usually they take a few cycles to get them going again. Anyhow I thought id share my findings and I encourage you guys to look into it if you are intrested in fixing your batterys
thelogo
QUOTE(Porsche930dude @ Nov 8 2013, 03:00 PM) *

I started doing a bit of expearimenting. With the help of U-tube smile.gif I discovered a good trick of using ebsom salt to desulfate batteries. That paired with a capactive battery charger should repair most batteries. I didnt have any ebsom salt around but I thew together a capaitive charger with spare parts its super simple. and it seems to work great. I got a stone dead battey to full charge. I have yet to see if it will hold the charge but usually they take a few cycles to get them going again. Anyhow I thought id share my findings and I encourage you guys to look into it if you are intrested in fixing your batterys

I have a multimeter , I have recharged my battery with.maintainer
About to reinstall in car , can anyone. Tell me how.to test my alternator.

So I can determine weather.or not.to.replace.just battery or both battery and alternator.
thelogo
[quote name='thelogo' date='Nov 10 2013, 05:24 AM' post='1954537']
[quote name='Porsche930dude' post='1953848' date='Nov 8 2013, 03:00 PM']
[/quote]

I have a multimeter , I have recharged my battery with.maintainer
About to reinstall in car , can anyone. Tell me how.to test my alternator.

So I can determine weather.or not.to.replace.just battery or both battery and alternator.
[/quote

"When I came to Detroit I was just a mild-mannered Sunday-school boy

The great Ty cobb

What a ballplayer

pcar916
Checking alternator output...

Check the voltage after you start the car and with a bit of throttle applied. Your voltage at the battery should be slightly over 13v. If it's less than ~12.8v your alternator/voltage regulator (separate in early cars) is suspect. I don't know the year the v-regulator was integrated into the alternator... others here will know.

Good luck
thelogo
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Nov 10 2013, 05:53 AM) *

Check the voltage after you start the car and with a bit of throttle applied. Your voltage at the battery should be slightly over 13v. If it's less than ~12.8v your alternator/voltage regulator (separate in early cars) is suspect. I don't know the year the v-regulator was integrated into the alternator... others here will know.

Good luck

I suspect optima is finished because it s voltage falls steadily when I take off
The maintainer , even know the battery is removed from the car
But I guess five good years is a alright shelf life
thelogo
QUOTE(thelogo @ Nov 10 2013, 01:47 PM) *

QUOTE(pcar916 @ Nov 10 2013, 05:53 AM) *

Good luck

I suspect optima is finished because it s voltage falls steadily when I take off
The maintainer , even know the battery is removed from the car
But I guess five good years is a alright shelf life

""
Pathetic ,paranoid and lost in the past
, let me tell you something , I am a legend and legends are not f*cking, pathetic.

The great Ty Cobb
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.