Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Optima Battery
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxerboy
From time to time I see a post that mentions an Optima battery being ideally suited for a 914. The problem is that there doesn't seem to be one that fits. Has anyone installed one of these sealed batteries (stock battery tray mount) in a 914? Any tips, or are we doomed to a future of lead acid induced corrosion.
Carlitos Way
I believe a 34R is the right "fit" for the 914. Do a search on previous posts. Search for Optima+battery.

Good luck,

Carlos
anthony
Can anyone find a 34R?

In any case the standard red top fits fine if you lengthen the ground cable. It's probably time for a new one anyway.
anthony
BTW, I think I'd consider a Hawker Odyssey or a sealed Miata battery next time I need a battery for a 914. They are $50 cheaper.
machina
I just put a 34R in my 986S. Fit perfect, didn't have to lengthen cables. Only modified the stock clamp to hold it down.

Only difference with the "R" model are the reversed + & - poles. Happens to be a big distributor for optima near my house that had it in stock.

Have an 34 optima in the 914 but my battery is up front.
kermit
Yeah they fit, just the regular ol' red tops. sits on the factory battery tray nicely.

Word of caution though, there isn't much of a flange at the bottom of the battery to clamp it down. The battery fell over during an autocross. Now I have a metal strap that secures it in place.
anthony
The new Optimas come with a black base that snaps on. It makes the base fit the stock battery clamp just right.
tracks914
I don't know what you guys are paying for the optima but Walmart up here sells them for $138 for the 900cca and $159 for the100cca. The RV optima is a bit more.BTW these a CAN$$$
JB 914
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Nov 29 2004, 07:18 PM)
I don't know what you guys are paying for the optima but Walmart up here sells them for $138 for the 900cca and $159 for the100cca. The RV optima is a bit more.BTW these a CAN$$$

I think mine was $100+tax at COSTCO
tracks914
QUOTE(joe buckle @ Nov 29 2004, 07:23 PM)
I think mine was $100+tax at COSTCO

$155CAN at COSTCO in Sudbury, ON. That's about $130US
Carlitos Way
I looked at Costco, but couldn't find a 34R. Saw a couple of listings for them on e-bay tho... so I'll be getting mine from there if/when I get mine.
Gary
Got a 51R for $130 shipped from: Autobahn Motorsports. 8 lbs lighter than the 34 (although not light at 26 lbs). It's about an inch taller, but still fits in the stock mount.
dlo914
at the FLAPS i work (AutoZone alhambra, ca 91801) at the red tops run for about $130 with a 3 year replacement warranty, and the yellow tops run for $160 w/ a 2 year replacement warranty. now with a 20% employee discount the reds run for $104 + tax biggrin.gif. id get one if only my battery tray didnt look like a square donut mad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.