Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine rebuild sealant survey
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AE354803
I've seen both sealants recommended and I'm trying to figure out where the preference is.

So...

Which product do you use for case sealing and cylinder to case sealing?

Andy
pilothyer
The Curil K2 can be used to seal the case halves and seal the cylinder to case. I have done this on a few with no problems. On the last few rebuilds I have used Dirko to seal the cylinders to the case. Whichever one you use to seal the cylinders to the case, you need to apply it to the cylinder and both sides of any shims between the cylinder and case.
pcar916
I have no experience with the Curil products, but Dow Corning 730 with the obvious proper surface-prep needed for all of them has never leaked a drop on any of my builds. Before that it was Aviation Permatex and a silk thread (case). Dating myself?
injunmort
I have used yamabond grey on case halves for years, halomar blue on everything else.
Mark Henry
I've used curil (T, K2 and Dirko) and wasn't overly impressed. Dirko is just RTV.

Threebond (Yamabond) is real good stuff, so is locktite 574, locktite teflon on the pushrod seals, but good prep could be the only reason that works, good old black RTV under the cylinders only.
dfelz
I used loctite 574 on the case halves, dont have any complaints, but also havent put the engine back in the car and filled with oil, so i cant say whether or not i did a good job sealing it.

I didnt use and sealant on cylinder to case, just have the shims there coated in a film of oil.... hope thats not a problem, didnt know people put sealant there... confused24.gif
DBCooper
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Jun 8 2013, 12:02 PM) *
Before that it was Aviation Permatex and a silk thread (case). Dating myself?

Ha ha ha, YES! I wonder how many here even know what that means.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.