Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rain tray
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
minnesota loon
Since i dont drive in the rain i took out the rain tray. I thought it might cool down the engine. Any thoughts on this... cooler? or does it screw up the air flow to the engine compartment?
ConeDodger
My guess is that it would cool it down or the race teams wouldn't have built the GT lid and removed the rain tray...

But, the engineers must have tested and found the air flow adequate for the engine compartment, at least when new...
vw505
I took mine out. I have alittle more engine noise thats about it.
Dave_Darling
Mine is out, until we get to rainy season, when it goes in. Driving in the rain isn't a problem with the tray out, but once I'm parked for a while the water can cause problems.

--DD
damesandhotrods
What about when you wash the car?
pcar916
Are your engine temps too high? If not I'd leave it alone under the heading of "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

I don't have one ('cause it's a six) and occasionally I have to cover the engine compartment if I think it's gonna rain while I'm parked. No big deal right?

PITA when it's wet and I have to store it in the trunk with other stuff. Mine's a daily driver so I have to deal with that more often than you do, but you'll get caught at some point, and have to dry out the hell-hole when it happens. In the south, that's fairly often with a DD.

Good luck
balljoint
I took my perfect early rain tray out and put it on display over the fireplace.

The engine bay sheds heat a lot faster without it when stopped. At least, that is how I deal with hot start issues. mellow.gif
championgt1
QUOTE(balljoint @ Jun 8 2013, 12:46 PM) *

I took my perfect early rain tray out and put it on display over the fireplace.

The engine bay sheds heat a lot faster without it when stopped. At least, that is how I deal with hot start issues. mellow.gif

biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Jun 8 2013, 11:12 AM) *

What about when you wash the car?

I spray on the waterless cleaner and wipe it off with a microfiber towel. shades.gif
minnesota loon
Thanks for the input. I am going to leave it out.
rhodyguy
find a lid in the same color. 1 with, 1 without.
Kraftwerk
Tray kind of gets in the way when working on the engine... not a heck of a lot of space to move around back there... And I under 6'
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.