Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: no back pad
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tomh
Does any one have a picture of a interior done with out a back pad.
MoveQik
No backpad. Just Dynamat on the firewall then covered with perlon. I love the clean look.
phillstek
Mine, just paint no sound deadening.
eyesright

No backpad. Just Dynamat on the firewall then covered with perlon. I love the clean look.

Wow, I like that clean look. Nice work. Can you explain and show photos of what you did? DIY or did you farm it out to an upholstry shop? Are the seat belt retractors covered? Is the perlon glued in or velcro-ed...etc?

I have a '70 -6 conversion project that has no carpet, backpad is bad,...I don't mind the stationary passenger seat, in fact its kind of unique looking, but I have to decide how much work will need to go into restoring the backpad, or should I just add seat rails...

Would like to see some photos of your process if you have the time.

Thanks.
tomh
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Jun 11 2013, 05:54 AM) *

Looks real nice,wish there was a kit for this. you did a graet job I think i might try it.thanks for the pic.
MoveQik
QUOTE(eyesright @ Jun 11 2013, 06:32 AM) *

Wow, I like that clean look. Nice work. Can you explain and show photos of what you did? DIY or did you farm it out to an upholstry shop? Are the seat belt retractors covered? Is the perlon glued in or velcro-ed...etc?

Would like to see some photos of your process if you have the time.

Thanks.

No problem. I did this about 7 years ago and it still looks perfect. Since these photos I ditched the center pad as well. I really like the sparse look now that it is done. The pic posted above is how it looks today, complete with the PMB GT style door panels. :-)

Just put the Dynamat up with the self sticking backing.

IPB Image

Cut the Perlon to roughly the correct size and very carefully put it in place starting with the top edge. I used the factory cut edge of the Perlon for the top so it looks perfectly straight. I just used a 3M spray adhesive to put the Perlon on top of the Dynamat.

IPB Image

After trimming and stretching. One tip with the Perlon, it stretches very easily so don't go crazy and start pulling on it too hard. If you do, you'll stretch it too much and it will look like crap.

IPB Image

I used matching carpet for the bottom of the firewall to finish it off.

IPB Image

Hope this helps!
eyesright
Okay, that does it! Why waste time on a poor backpad that will still look tacky at best on a car that long ago and with the help of several owners lost its originality. At least I'm finishing it and fixing most of their bubba repairs.

I'll show photos of mine...which, if I'm lucky, will be in several months...Thanks for your help.
tomh
QUOTE(eyesright @ Jun 11 2013, 07:17 AM) *

Okay, that does it! Why waste time on a poor backpad that will still look tacky at best on a car that long ago and with the help of several owners lost its originality. At least I'm finishing it and fixing most of their bubba repairs.

I'll show photos of mine...which, if I'm lucky, will be in several months...Thanks for your help.

I did use some of that on my bus looked great. Ill do it for a back pad. thanks for the in fo you guys always come through.
SLKWrx
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Jun 11 2013, 05:55 AM) *

No problem. I did this about 7 years ago and it still looks perfect. Since these photos I ditched the center pad as well. I really like the sparse look now that it is done. The pic posted above is how it looks today, complete with the PMB GT style door panels. :-)

Just put the Dynamat up with the self sticking backing.

Cut the Perlon to roughly the correct size and very carefully put it in place starting with the top edge. I used the factory cut edge of the Perlon for the top so it looks perfectly straight. I just used a 3M spray adhesive to put the Perlon on top of the Dynamat.

After trimming and stretching. One tip with the Perlon, it stretches very easily so don't go crazy and start pulling on it too hard. If you do, you'll stretch it too much and it will look like crap.

I used matching carpet for the bottom of the firewall to finish it off.

Hope this helps!

Can you provide a part number or location for the strip that you used to finish off the top of the backpad carpet? I've been looking for it forever it seems.
MoveQik
QUOTE(SLKWrx @ Jun 11 2013, 09:10 AM) *

Can you provide a part number or location for the strip that you used to finish off the top of the backpad carpet? I've been looking for it forever it seems.

No part required. Just a perfectly masked off strip of black paint on the glass to cover anything unsightly that can be seen without the backpad installed.
Eric_Shea
Wills was my inspiration (always has been always wills be) wub.gif
IPB Image

I put an early 911 light in mine. Highly recommended:
IPB Image

IPB Image
914outlaw
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Jun 11 2013, 08:54 AM) *

Cool look!
MDG
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 11 2013, 01:10 PM) *

Wills was my inspiration (always has been always wills be) wub.gif

Oh please.

You stole Wills' idea and now you're sucking up so he doesn't sue you. dry.gif
sixnotfour
Oh my God you 2 get a room.................. barf.gif

The factory did it first...

http://www.stazak.com/914/gt/interior/seat1.html
MoveQik
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 11 2013, 04:11 PM) *

That's Photoshop. Never been done before me. Ever.
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Jun 11 2013, 05:51 PM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 11 2013, 04:11 PM) *

That's Photoshop. Never been done before me. Ever.

agree.gif my Michael did it first... wub.gif
sixnotfour
OMG !
Socalandy
I have both the early and late back pads but since I'm running Scheel seats the plan was to use the late. As good as Wills re engineered back pad looks I'm re-thinking my decision.

As far as who did it first? Maybe the Germans invented a time machine, visited a Red Rocks or Route 66 event and while having the time of their lives drunk.gif saw what Wills did and immediately returned to 1970 and implemented it. aktion035.gif
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 11 2013, 08:50 PM) *

OMG !

What? confused24.gif Have you seen his new Facebook profile pic? ohmy.gif

Gritty-Up!!
MoveQik
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 11 2013, 08:26 PM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 11 2013, 08:50 PM) *

OMG !

What? confused24.gif Have you seen his new Facebook profile pic? ohmy.gif

Gritty-Up!!

Only my friends see that! Crap! How did Jeff get in there??? blink.gif
stugray
Self adhesive neoprene ~1/4" thick:

IPB Image

Top edge is aluminum extrusion (J-channel) riveted across the top just below the window.
The carpet was cut using the aluminum piece as the guide and then the carpet tucked in perfectly:
IPB Image
IPB Image

Stu (edit - found another pic)
3d914
QUOTE(stugray @ Jun 11 2013, 09:45 PM) *

Self adhesive neoprene ~1/4" thick:

Top edge is aluminum extrusion (J-channel) riveted across the top just below the window.
The carpet was cut using the aluminum piece as the guide and then the carpet tucked in perfectly:

Stu

Stu, nice idea. Does the neoprene have sound or heat shielding qualities?
stugray
It actually was leftover sound deadening material from a govt. SCIF installation.
Search Mcmaster-carr for "Medium-Strength Neoprene Rubber" it comes in self adhesive.
It is about the same stuff.

Stu
taylspin46
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Jun 11 2013, 04:54 AM) *

MoveQik, what is your source for the bulk Perlon?
MoveQik
QUOTE(taylspin46 @ Jun 12 2013, 08:21 AM) *

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Jun 11 2013, 04:54 AM) *

MoveQik, what is your source for the bulk Perlon?

Just a local shop here in AZ. I would think you could find it locally most anywhere.
vw505
I'm about to start this onthe weekend, what is the best way to remove the stock sound deading. I was going to usea heat gun and try to save the factory piece.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.