Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: floor pan condition
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot_Cannon
I've been reading alot about removing the tar on the floor pans lately. My floors look great inside and out. Can't see any rust under the car. I would like to get by without scraping the tar off. Is there any way you can determine if there is rust under the tar without scraping it all up? It looks like a very labor intensive job. I try to avoid hard work whenever I can but I am finding that to be impossible when working on a 30 year old car.
Cheers, Elliot
GWN7
Do you have a crystal ball? If so, tell Muller the right 6 numbers so he can buy that new car he wants.

Only way to know if there is rust under the tar is to take it up. I'm betting that there is. Think 99% of the ppls that have looked under theirs have found it.

Heat gun, scraper, wire wheel and POR15.......
Jenny
Seriously, it's a 2-3hr job to remove the tar if you have the interior stripped already, have a heat gun and a putty knife. I did it in a little over 2hrs, and I'm an amateur.

The hard work comes after that. The clean up. But it's really worth it if
1. you find out there's no rust in your floor pans, or
2. you find there is rust, but you caught it in time to repair it.

Catch 22. Sorry. I'd vote foryou do it.

Jen
GWN7
See...the voice of one of the 99% smile.gif
jridder
So what is the recommended treatment after taking the tar up, fixing any rust and painting with POR-15? Does anybody put tar or other sound deadening material back on? I suppose some padding and carpeting would help but the sound deadening material that is bonded to the panel does a better job because it lowers the natural frequency of the panel.

Jonathan
Jenny
I've started going at the rust areas with a wire bristle wheel attached to an electric drill. After that's done, yes, I believe I will be introduced to the art of POR-15-ing.

I heard Andy talking about sticking sound deadening material to the underside of the carpet. That way you can lift it up and check for water anytime you want. Sounds good to me!

Jen
SirAndy
after the cleanup, make sure you put "Metal-Ready" on first, then POR-15 ...

Andy
Jenny
What's that??

Jen
Elliot_Cannon
Ah rats!!! I guess I knew what the answer was going to be to this question. I guess I am basically lazy and was hoping someone had a magical answer that would... Ah rats!!! OK so I need a heat gun. I guess my wifes hair drier wont do huh? How about a butane torch? How about I quit screwing around on the computer and get to work? Thanks to all for the good advice. (Now...where did I leave that putty knife?)
Cheers, Elliot
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jenny @ May 21 2003, 10:58 AM)
What's that??

the stuff that turns your rust into something else (better?) ...

Andy
vortrex
use a $5 plumbers torch, works great.
Gint
SirAndy Posted on May 21 2003, 11:50 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
after the cleanup, make sure you put "Metal-Ready" on first, then POR-15 ...

QUOTE (Jenny @ May 21 2003, 10:58 AM)
What's that??  

POR-15 Metal Ready FAQ
Elliot_Cannon
So far so good! I used my butane torch and scraped up a 6x6 inch patch of tar. All I found under it so far is clean shiney metal!! Then I ran out of butane. The small patch I did though came off really easy. Looks like a Home Depot run for more butane.
Cheers, Elliot
Brad Roberts
12$ heat gun from Harbor freight... when you knock it over it doesnt light the car on fire.

I told Jenny to heat the tar just in front of her puddy knife as she scraped. Works like a charm.

B
Blynes
Tar removal- this works if you can find one

called a blaster tool, made by Wurth

has rotating metal prongs
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.