Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: diminished car value claims - got hit today WTF
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
draganc
Fellows,

I was just minding my own business on a sunny day until I got rear ended by a mini van. barf.gif

Damage is within limits, the bumper needs to be repainted and the douche hit my rear right wheel, hence it will need a new tire and alignment at least. No biggi.

Since he didn't wanted to admit his fault, I called the police for an report. At least they wrote him a ticket for hitting my car.

Nevertheless, since it is reported now and most likely gonna show up at a car fax search I'm concerned that it will lower my potential resale value (the car has only 29k mls and is in like new condition).

Hence, who has any advice and experience about diminished car value in NJ or other states. In particular how to calculate and claim the addition damage.

Thanks in advance,
Dragan
Elliot Cannon
I have phone number you can call in Jersey. Ask for Vinnie. Tell him Leon gave you his number. If you want. evilgrin.gif
draganc
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jun 12 2013, 08:49 PM) *

I have phone number you can call in Jersey. Ask for Vinnie. Tell him Leon gave you his number. If you want. evilgrin.gif

PM me the details. Thanks.
balljoint
Uh oh. rolleyes.gif ELLIOT!

If your fender bender is reported then call car fax and ask them how to mitigate the impact, if possible. Outside of having an impact on the actual data recorded your only choice is to fully document every single aspect of the repair and keep it for posterity. Photos, receipts, a thread here...

rick 918-S
The insurance theory is: If the car is restored to "pre-accident condition" there is no negative impact or reduction of value. When settling claims some states allow for diminished value claims many don't. The damage is physical and not directly monetary. The outcome of any repair will be a direct reflection any loss of value. That approach shifts the burden onto the owner to select a shop that is competent and capable of completing said repairs. Choose wrong and it's your decision along with the shop that did the work.

Just because car fax runs commercials stating their service reveals damaged cars that are worth less doesn't mean that's reality. If you notice in every case the car owner is being deceptive. As stated, document the repairs and get it done right and be forthcoming with the information when selling.

I would much rather purchase a car that has been properly repaired with documentation than some of the so called "restorations" I've seen. And they will never appear on car fax.

Flame on guys. ar15.gif
Mblizzard
While the insurance theory is to restore to "pre-accident condition" there is no way to repair a wrecked car so that it can be sold as a non-wrecked car. Period! It cant be done and you should not accept a settlement that does not include this. That is exactly what a diminished value claim is suppose to cover. This applies even more to vintage cars. This accident took away from you the ability to sell your car as never wrecked. You have incurred a monetary loss regardless of the quality of the repair. The insurance agents will try to steer you away from this because they want to settle things quickly. But if you are reasonable and have supporting data that you can present they should pay you for your loss. I have done this multiple times and have never failed to get it paid. It was a pain for sure but it can be done.

I would aggressively seek compensation for this loss if allowed by state law. The hardest part is determining what the amount of the loss is.

Also, I think Carfax only covers cars back to 1981.
MoveQik
I just ran the carfax on my 2007 Suburban as I am considering selling/trading it and I wanted to see what the next owner would see on the report if they ran it. One accident shows up. I rear ended someone. Oops! However, even with the accident, the "Carfax Price Adjustment" still says it is worth $1,160 more than the average retail. I guess the point of my story is, it appears that if the vehicle is properly repaired it doesn't give a ding to the value.

Now, this may be because my Suburban has 116k miles so it doesn't matter at this point. The reports also notes that the vehicle was 100% functional even after the impact.
Mike Bellis
Last time i checked Car Fax, the car in question needed a 17 digit VIN number. The 914 does not have a 17 digit number, thus should not even show up.

Did this feature change?
MoveQik
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jun 13 2013, 08:15 AM) *

Last time i checked Car Fax, the car in question needed a 17 digit VIN number. The 914 does not have a 17 digit number, thus should not even show up.

Did this feature change?

I was under the impression he was in his DD, not the 914. Sorry if I misread that.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Jun 13 2013, 08:27 AM) *

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jun 13 2013, 08:15 AM) *

Did this feature change?

I was under the impression he was in his DD, not the 914. Sorry if I misread that.

He didn't say...
Chris H.
Yeah which car was hit? - 914 = no carfax. Daily driver >1981 is a different story....since the police were called you will have to submit a police report (at least you do in Illinois) and it will hit the carfax. But just keep the records and show how minor it was and you should be fine.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(draganc @ Jun 13 2013, 04:10 AM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jun 12 2013, 08:49 PM) *

PM me the details. Thanks.

Ooops. Sorry, I've just been reminded that Vinnie is pulling a nickel at Attica. But hey! I'll ask around. happy11.gif Dohworryboutit.
Rob-O
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jun 13 2013, 06:16 AM) *

The insurance theory is: If the car is restored to "pre-accident condition" there is no negative impact or reduction of value. When settling claims some states allow for diminished value claims many don't. The damage is physical and not directly monetary. The outcome of any repair will be a direct reflection any loss of value. That approach shifts the burden onto the owner to select a shop that is competent and capable of completing said repairs. Choose wrong and it's your decision along with the shop that did the work.

Just because car fax runs commercials stating their service reveals damaged cars that are worth less doesn't mean that's reality. If you notice in every case the car owner is being deceptive. As stated, document the repairs and get it done right and be forthcoming with the information when selling.

I would much rather purchase a car that has been properly repaired with documentation than some of the so called "restorations" I've seen. And they will never appear on car fax.

Flame on guys. ar15.gif

agree.gif

No flaming required...this is right on!
draganc
Thanks for all the input! Some clarifying points: it was my DD, a CLK500 convertible, garaged all year and in like NEW conditions.

I agree to the points that if the car is repaired properly it "shouldn't" affect the value of the car and pictures and repair bill should support this - for most of us on the board here.

However, let's face it, if I try to trade in my car at the dealership they will pull a carfax and don't car about any pics nor reapair bills. They will offer me even less for the car than w/o and dings or reports.

If I sell it to an individual, they will either not call (I wouldn't) or they would use it to lower the price (I would).

Any newer car will sell better and for more money than a car with any kind of records.

In Germany - I know I'm not on Germnay anymore - it is common practices to incl the diminishing value in the settlement.

@Mblizzard, can you pls PM me or post how you handled your past claim? NJ does support such claims.

Thanks again for all the inputs,
Dragan

PS: very funny Elliot! Don't ever stop around exit 9! :-)

Mblizzard
QUOTE(draganc @ Jun 13 2013, 03:43 PM) *

Thanks for all the input! Some clarifying points: it was my DD, a CLK500 convertible, garaged all year and in like NEW conditions.

I agree to the points that if the car is repaired properly it "shouldn't" affect the value of the car and pictures and repair bill should support this - for most of us on the board here.

However, let's face it, if I try to trade in my car at the dealership they will pull a carfax and don't car about any pics nor reapair bills. They will offer me even less for the car than w/o and dings or reports.

If I sell it to an individual, they will either not call (I wouldn't) or they would use it to lower the price (I would).

Any newer car will sell better and for more money than a car with any kind of records.

In Germany - I know I'm not on Germnay anymore - it is common practices to incl the diminishing value in the settlement.

@Mblizzard, can you pls PM me or post how you handled your past claim? NJ does support such claims.

Thanks again for all the inputs,
Dragan

PS: very funny Elliot! Don't ever stop around exit 9! :-)

I will write up the approach I used and send it to you by PM. May not get to it until tomorrow.
Mblizzard
OK let’s get this out of the way first. I'm not a lawyer. I am not offering legal advice in anyway. I am presenting only my opinion based on information that is correct only in the context of the way I remember it. I take no responsibility for the accuracy of the information as I am going off of memory and I am only offering my opinion.

Remember, you are entitled to have your automobile restored to pre-loss condition and pre-loss value. Most insurance companies focus only on the pre-loss condition. Because it is proven that a car that has sustained major damaged is worth less than an un-wrecked car, the at-fault party, and subsequently their insurer, owes for the depreciation.

First a bunch of background information.

If you have not done so, after you have gather all of your information, inform the third-party insurance company in writing that you are going to file a Diminished Value (DV) claim . There are a number of example letters that can be found on the internet. Remember your DV claim has to be reasonable and supportable. if you are driving the a 1972 Pinto don’t expect to be taken seriously. Initially be open and consider any offer they make. Generally speaking, a rough starting point for a DV estimate is about 10 to 15% of the cost of repair. The lower end applies to older cars and cars with less damage. The newer the car and the higher the repair estimate move you up the scale. If you have an exotic car that is outside the norm that the insurance company sees, find a DV expert and pay them to handle the estimate. This is a case where you would want to contact expert from the beginning to handle the estimate. It will cost you some up front but you may be able to recover that in your claim. The purpose of this is to generate good and verifiable documentation to support your claim. Most insurance assume you don’t have the good and verifiable documentation so they make you an offer based on their DV software.

If they make you an offer that is within this range and you find it acceptable, especially if you don’t intend on selling the car and the damage was not extensive it may make sense to take the offer or make a small counter. Your research may find out that most insurance companies use a version of State Farm’s ultra-conservative Formula "17c" software to make these initial calculations. So you will be leaving something on the table if you take it but you have to decide what it’s worth you to go further.

If it was a major accident and you are planning on selling the car because you will never drive it again then start the process immediately.

Before you start a claim you have to consider a couple of factors. Again, if your car is a 1972 Pinto that has 250,000 miles on it, you probably don’t want to put the time and effort into a claim. But if you have a very new low mileage car with extensive damage, it will be worth your time and effort to not accept any offer from the insurance company and take the steps required to maximize your claim. The first thing you need a grasp of is the dollar value for the repair. If your car has been involved in a major accident, the initial estimate is never the final amount so you may want to wait until the repairs are done but I never took that approach. One of the most important things you can do is to carefully document the condition of your care before any repairs are started. Take tons of pictures and ask to be present at each stage of the disassembly to determine the extent of the damage for the estimate. For example, if they remove a fender to check for other damage, you want a photograph of that before the fender is put back on. Otherwise it becomes more difficult to determine if the insurance estimator or the shop missed something. Do the same thing for each stage of the repair. If a shop has to paint a car several times to get it correct, an inspection of the car by an expert will detect that the inferior repair and it will further lower the value of the car. Before you turn over the car for repairs, make sure that you tell the shop that you want to inspect all of the parts that are removed prior to re-installation and all parts replaced prior to disposal. Of course, it is best to mark all of the parts that you think will be replaced with an identifying mark like a sharpie and take photos of them. It is amazing how flustered a shop becomes when you point out to them that the part that they say was replaced did not come from your car. It is amazing how the final bill increases when you take this approach.

To start the process you have to look at all of the sources of DV claims estimates that are available to you. You can use the ultra-simple approach of going through the Autotrader Marketplace or like process and entering the values for pre and post-accident. May be worthwhile if you are just looking for a little bump from the insurance company but it generally does not carry a lot of weight with the insurance companies as the will not see this as good and verifiable documentation.

Another option is get an estimate from your dealership. This is possibly the easiest and fastest way to get a price for the value of an automobile, but it is not known for being the most accurate. Next you can take the approach of using an online source like http://www.dvassess.com/. But again, most insurance companies choose to not pay any attention to these “instant” reports. But if you think raising the DV estimate a couple of hundred bucks would make you happy then this may be an option. But remember many of these services get their values from the same service as the insurance companies and their software may be based on the conservative Formula "17c" approach.

But if you are really under the impression that you have a substantial DV claim you can only generate the good and verifiable documentation that will be required to support your claim by having a DV expert complete through and comprehensive examination of the vehicle. By reviewing all of the claim paperwork, including the insurance estimate, invoice for the repairs, and actually having an expert inspect the car you will be able to obtain documentation that the insurance company will have a hard time disproving. I will leave it to the individual to find a company to do the DV assessment. But these companies generally offer a desk and a field appraisal. I think the fees for the field appraisal are like $100 more than the desk. So depending on the value of your expected claim, you have to decide what is best. But the field appraisal always generates higher quality documentation and often the inspection identifies damage not noticed by the owner or that was overlooked by the insurance company. While I have always done the field appraisal, some rules of thumb to determine if you should get a field appraisal are, if there is frame or structural damage, airbags deployed, damage is $5,000, you have concerns repair quality (like being required to use a “preferred” repair shop), or you are submitting a DV claim above $2,000.

My general approach is as follows. First I talk with the insurance company and ask them what their process is for DV claims. You have to know their rules. If they have them in writing get a copy. I let them know I understand DV and that there can be a wide range in how the estimate is done and what value is generated. I let them know my expectations are reasonable (10 – 15% of the repair cost) and would be willing to consider offers in that range. Most of the time this results in a mid-range offer from them. If it is a low ball offer or they said they don’t pay DV because they are restoring your car to pre-accident condition then go get your appraisal done. Remember any additional amount you spend on backing up your claim should be less than what you hope to increase your claim by. So you may want to do some of the initial cheap steps to see if trying to get more money is worth your time. When you come back and tell them your research shows that it should be higher just give them the amount. Don’t formally present the information yet because they usually assume you have not done your homework and say that there has to be documentation of that amount. When you say you have an appraisal and comment that it represents good and verifiable documentation of your claim, they lose their option of relying solely on their ultra-conservative software and have to either accept your documentation or go through the process of producing their own. This is the point at which I have settled all of my claims.
draganc
Mike, thanks a lot for the VERY detailed summary! I spend some hours on the Internet the last few days and you are right on the money. Thanks again!!

I'll follow up with my outcome as it progresses.

dc
mepstein
Good info. My attorney always says- the person with the best documentation wins.
draganc
Just a quick update: after messing with the insurance, MB garage and insurance adjuster, I got my car back after about 3 weeks.
The problem was that the adjuster only wrote-up half the parts that MB wanted to replace and most of them as used/refurb parts.

Total damage was $4500! Mainly mechanical work (parts and labor).

Now that I have the total repair cost, I will approach the other insurance about diminished car value.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.