should
get this out in the open. I know this War might not be very popular with
some folks, but that doesn't mean we don't support the boys on the ground
fighting street to street and house to house for what they and I
believe is right. If you feel the same as I do, then pass this along, or
you
can discard it and I'll never know.

Thanks very much for your support to me, and I know you'll all be
there again soon when I deploy once more.

Semper Fidelis,

Sgt Howard C. Wright
1st Force Recon Co
1st Plt PLT RTO
ThinAir
This is an urban legend. Here's the straight scoop:
http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_s...egend+Starbucks
airsix
I know you have good intentions posting this, but you've got to check the facts on this sort of thing. 99% of the time it's a hoax or missinformation. This story took me a single google query and one click to debunk.

from: http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_s...cks_marines.htm

Comments:   It's unclear whether Starbucks ever actually refused to donate coffee to U.S. Marines in Iraq who requested it, but if they did, it wasn't because, as the above email claims, "they don't support the war and anyone in it."

Marine Sgt. Howard C. Wright, who authored the email in May 2004, subsequently issued a mea culpa (currently being distributed by Starbucks in answer to queries) in which he said:

Almost 5 months ago I sent an email to you my faithful friends. I did a wrong thing that needs to be cleared up. I heard by word of mouth about how Starbucks said they didn't support the war and all. I was having enough of that kind of talk and didn't do my research properly like I should have. This is not true. Starbucks supports men and women in uniform. They have personally contacted me and I have been sent many copies of their company's policy on this issue. So I apologize for this quick and wrong letter that I sent out to you.  

In its own response to the email rumor, Starbucks explains that while the company has "the deepest respect and admiration for U.S. military personnel," corporate policy prohibits direct donations to U.S. troops because the military doesn't fall under the strict definition of a public charity. Individual employees are free to donate their weekly pounds of take-home coffee, however, and according to Starbucks' statement many have done so.

-Ben M. (doing my best to be impartial - I support our troops and don't have any loyalty to Starbucks)
Trekkor
coffee.gif

political thread or no?
neo914-6
I was ready to jump on the bandwagon. I only support local coffee shops (Yeah Peets!) except when I'm traveling. I found a Starbucks in a large Taiwan manufacturing company I was working at! confused24.gif
Felix
gregrobbins
Just another damn urban legend. We all get these types of emails too often. Before you believe and send out something like this, check any of the Urban Legend/Myth sites on the web to verify it is true. By the way, this isn't the place for something like this. mad.gif

Now back to the important stuff: 914s
Brando
How about we just dont buy starbucks because their coffee sucks? lol2.gif

Support your local coffee houses that ground, blend, and roast/cook their beans in-house. Not deep-fry blanch them like starbucks, the Americanized-Mexican-fast-food equivalent of coffee and cappucino.
swood
How about don't buy starbuck$ on Fridays only? THat'll do the trick.

I don't care for their overoasted garbage. Every type they sell tastes the same - burnt.

Coffee Bean and Tea leaf is all I need...and this lamp...and this ashtray...

Besides Illig, CB&T Vienese is the best I've ever had.
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE(Brando @ Nov 29 2004, 11:14 PM)
How about we just dont buy starbucks because their coffee sucks?  :lol2:

Support your local coffee houses that ground, blend, and roast/cook their beans in-house. Not deep-fry blanch them like starbucks, the Americanized-Mexican-fast-food equivalent of coffee and cappucino.

Amen to that brother.

As an ex coffee shop owner and soon to be new coffee shop owner and roaster I say support the local guy.

Coffee shops are supposed to be unique places with a little character, with good fresh roasted coffee.

Didn't like starbucks before I was in the coffee biz, and nothing has changed.

Not political - Its just like telling somebody that a certain shop or supplier sucks.

Starbucks :finger2: Even if it is an urban legend.
Rusty
Or... buy a little espresso/latte machine for 30 bucks, and make your own coffee. At 3-5 bucks a pop (at Starbucks), my machines have well paid for themselves.

I have one at home, and one for when I go to the field.

Then, you can grind your own beans at the store, try different coffees, etc, etc.

Making a 4 shot latte in the morning is very relaxing... until I drink it. blink.gif

-Lawrence
seanery
QUOTE(gregrobbins @ Nov 30 2004, 01:24 AM)
By the way, this isn't the place for something like this. mad.gif

Lighten up Francis!
type47
so now for something that is true....

Levi-Strauss withdrew their support of the Boy Scouts of America because BSA prohibited gays from becoming Scout leaders....

so i wear Wranglers......
914werke
wink.gif So Sarg. Now that youve been taken to task and set on the straight and narrow how bout you fill in your location, and introduce yourself with any Teener content poses (photos of your car!).
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Nov 30 2004, 05:44 AM)
Or... buy a little espresso/latte machine for 30 bucks, and make your own coffee. At 3-5 bucks a pop (at Starbucks), my machines have well paid for themselves.

I have one at home, and one for when I go to the field.

Then, you can grind your own beans at the store, try different coffees, etc, etc.

Making a 4 shot latte in the morning is very relaxing... until I drink it. blink.gif

-Lawrence

Just to clear up a mis-conception that quite a few people out there have- there is probably about the same amount of caffein in that 4 shot latte as a regular 12oz cup of drip coffee.

The process that produces espresso - High pressure hot water forced through compacted grounds for a short amount of time produces lots of flavor but does not extract as much of the caffein and a drip coffee in which the water comes in contact with the grounds for longer.

I don't have the specifics off the top of my head, but I can get them if'n you want.

Oh and as far as home machines go, like the little krups ones, they are good at burning the coffee, the economical and tasty way is with a stove top maker. Couple that with a stove top steamer, if you want steamed milk, and voila great coffee and the cheap.

One last thing - Grind your beans at home, right before you make your coffee. Ground coffee loses a lot of its flavor within the first day.

I know more than you wanted or needed to know, but I'm a coffee freak my wife doesn't like to go into shops with me cause I'm always pointing out what they could do better.
Trekkor
I have that very stove-topper. It is the best agree.gif .

I like the pump up milk frother. 20 pumps and you have non-fat frothe'. Pour a little caramel sauce in the bottom of your cup before you pour the coffee and some on top of the foam. Mmmmmm...

coffee.gif KT
SirAndy
i stopped drinking coffee a couple of weeks ago ...
man did i feel shitty for the first week. massive headaches and muscle pain!

it's all good now, i feel much better (more energy) during the day ...
wink.gif Andy
redshift
Doods, I like plain old coffee... like Maxwell indaHaaaaayouse! and Folgers...

Dunkin Dog Nuts has the BEST COFFEE IN THE WORLD and the WORST DOUGHNUTS IN THE WORLD.

winchels has the second worst doughnut in the world.. and crappy coffee....

M
reverie
Any info on milligrams of caffeine would be appreciated, thanks! Espresso machine shots, stovetop maker, french press, drip coffee.. there's a lot of "word-of-mouth" info out there, and it gets all muddled after a while. I think the stovetop ones are interesting.. do they work about as fast as a french press?

And I second that location request. slap.gif

- Roger
Mr.C
mightyohm
Am I the only person who thinks that Starbucks coffee actually tastes good?

Yeah I don't like the huge corporate "taking over the world" thing but I can't force myself to NOT like their coffee. It's 10000 times better than what I get here at work, that's for sure.

wacko.gif
seanery
I love it!
When I actually drove to work every morning I would stop on the way in daily.
Meredith
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Nov 30 2004, 05:17 PM)

Nope. It's an almost-daily stop for me. Not for coffee, but to partake in chai beverages and the occasional mocha. The workers know my name and can usually tell what I'm going to order. All the local coffee shops are farther away that the 'Bucks and the parking is much more dificult to navigate. So, Starbucks it is!
Howard
QUOTE(Meredith @ Nov 30 2004, 05:59 PM)
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Nov 30 2004, 05:17 PM)

Nope. It's an almost-daily stop for me. Not for coffee, but to partake in chai beverages and the occasional mocha. The workers know my name and can usually tell what I'm going to order. All the local coffee shops are farther away that the 'Bucks and the parking is much more dificult to navigate. So, Starbucks it is!

Yep, I think it tastes burned, too. But I get it almost every day, 'cause it's the best fix in town. $1.70 for a venti gets you more caffeine than 8 cups of just about anywhere else.
bernbomb914
If it is so bad they are fulling a lot of people. there are 4 in town and you always have to wait in line. my wife is hooked on the americana Vente.

Bernie
carreraguy
Hi! My name is Tom and I'm a coffee addict.

So much so that I have an auto re-load on my Starbucks card and own shares of Starbucks stock. Why not? They are making a lot of $$ selling a legally addictive product!

Honestly though, if I have the time, I go to the "mom & pop" coffee shop across the street; it usually tastes fresher. I think its because they make espresso the old fashioned way by tamping etc., not just pushing some buttons. Plus they have an on-site roaster. Folks in the Willow Glen neighborhood in San Jose know where I mean. However, if I really have the time, I go down the street to Peets - thats where they sell the high octane stuff!
ThinAir
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Nov 30 2004, 06:44 AM)
Or... buy a little espresso/latte machine for 30 bucks, and make your own coffee.

Yup - that's the way to go. The left side of my Krups dual machine makes Starbucks House Blend for my morning coffee. The other side makes lattes from Dutch Brothers coffee after supper. I grind the beans myself with a little $15 coffee grinder so I get them just the way I want them. Good Stuff!
coffee.gif
Meredith
QUOTE(carreraguy @ Nov 30 2004, 07:01 PM)
Honestly though, if I have the time, I go to the "mom & pop" coffee shop across the street; it usually tastes fresher. I think its because they make espresso the old fashioned way by tamping etc., not just pushing some buttons. Plus they have an on-site roaster. Folks in the Willow Glen neighborhood in San Jose know where I mean. However, if I really have the time, I go down the street to Peets - thats where they sell the high octane stuff!

The Willow Glen Coffee Roasting place? I've only been there a time or two, but it's been pretty good.

I hit up Starbucks this evening. Grande nonfat chai latte, extra hot. Nothing better on a chilly night!
krk
QUOTE(Meredith @ Nov 30 2004, 10:27 PM)
QUOTE(carreraguy @ Nov 30 2004, 07:01 PM)
Honestly though, if I have the time, I go to the "mom & pop" coffee shop across the street; it usually tastes fresher.  I think its because they make espresso the old fashioned way by tamping etc., not just pushing some buttons.  Plus they have an on-site roaster.  Folks in the Willow Glen neighborhood in San Jose know where I mean.  However, if I really have the time, I go down the street to Peets - thats where they sell the high octane stuff!

The Willow Glen Coffee Roasting place? I've only been there a time or two, but it's been pretty good.

I hit up Starbucks this evening. Grande nonfat chai latte, extra hot. Nothing better on a chilly night!

Been to Willow Glen Roasting many times -- good stuff! (yum)

And there's nothing wrong with being a $$ activist (i.e. "vote with your dollars") if your heart is in it.

We used to get our coffee from Sbucks. And from Willow Glen as well. (WG was better, iirc) Lately, we've been getting various mixes from Trader Joe's. (oh oh -- they'll take away my yuppie card for this) They have one mix that is half caff/half decaff that is perfectly serviceable in the morning and a billionth of the price. (I may have a divide error there laugh.gif)

I work in SJ near the airport -- there is a Sbucks on the lot. I usually will get at least one tall capp-whatever per day. The folks are friendly and they appear to support some local charity work/etc. It's also a captive audience.

So, ateotd, no conclusion. Well, other than to comment on the urban legend thing -- it's like spam in general -- they pick on the popular. Being popular doesn't mean you are good or bad. Just that you are popular.

yee haw.

kim.
scotty914
QUOTE(type47 @ Nov 30 2004, 08:25 AM)
so now for something that is true....

Levi-Strauss withdrew their support of the Boy Scouts of America because BSA prohibited gays from becoming Scout leaders....

so i wear Wranglers......

heres some thing else on levis,

they claimed making their jeans in the US was driving them bankrupt so now they are having them made over seas ( they pulled a chapter 11 reorg )

before this became public the were the largest contributer to HCI ( anti gun group ) now if i was a stock holder and found out they were going broke i would sell out. i would sell out even faster when i found they were giving money away to anyone esp. the HCI
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE(reverie @ Nov 30 2004, 04:36 PM)
Any info on milligrams of caffeine would be appreciated, thanks! Espresso machine shots, stovetop maker, french press, drip coffee.. there's a lot of "word-of-mouth" info out there, and it gets all muddled after a while. I think the stovetop ones are interesting.. do they work about as fast as a french press?

And I second that location request. slap.gif

- Roger

Here is a little info on caffeine content, keep in mind that there are a lot of factors that can change these numbers

Brewed Coffee* 8 ounces 65-120 milligrams
Instant Coffee 8 ounces 80-85 milligrams
Espresso 1 ounce* 30-50 milligrams

*1 onuce= one shot.

* so many variables in brewed coffee this can be drip, french press, stove top.

The stove top is about as fast as the french press, basically as long as it takes to boil the water. Actually in the stove top it is much like espresso, it builds pressure while heating the water in the lower part then forces it up through the grounds that are in the middle and pushes it up into the top chamber. IF you grind right there is virtually no ground residue.

If you want the absolute best tasting coffee you have ever had try one of these. It is a vacuum pot coffee maker. Grounds start in the top, bottom is full of water. Normaly heated with a flame type burner. Water is forced up tube when heated, mixes with grounds on top, when heat is removed the coffe flows to the bottom. Awsome stuff.
Root_Werks
Coffe, can't drink it, stunts my growth.

Interviewed at the Buck once. I came in wearing a tie and everyone around me was wearing shorts, long hair, un-shaved etc. I felt really out of place. sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.