914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal
Weight of a (993) 3.6

Weight of a 915 transmission

Weight of a 930 transmission

Weight of a turbo subi

Weight of water/radiator for subi
john914somers
Please Randal, say it isn't so, your not really thinking of going to a Subi are you?
J P Stein
When Brit put the Subie (& some bells & whistles) in the shitbox, it added 100lbs to the car.......and 100+RWhp/torque ( & 1500 rpms)......with growth potential.
A slam dunk.

Thas all I gots.
Randal
QUOTE(john914somers @ Jun 13 2013, 07:08 PM) *

Please Randal, say it isn't so, your not really thinking of going to a Subi are you?

Na, just looking at data.

pcar916
If my 993 engine was out of the car I'd weight it, but it's lighter than stock because I've cut off or deleted a lot of auxiliary systems like power steering pump housing and gear, the AC compressor (and mounting bracket) the heater and intake vapor-evacuation blower motors, and even the cruise control. My flywheel/clutch/pressure plate assembly is light as well at ~19lbs total with the early push-type clutch and a PM 6.75-lb DME flywheel.

That said you have to add the weight of the large external oil cooling system that has to be added (no onboard cooler). In my case that means the -12 and -16AN lines and fittings, and two oil coolers with associated ductwork. I'd guess the 993 weighs at least 75 lbs more than the 2.7L before it, and there is an estimated additional 25 lbs of oil system... then there's the added 18 quarts of synthetic oil.

The 915's weigh about 125 lbs. The mag cased versions are a little lighter, but not more than 10 lbs. I don't have a 930 in the shop to weigh, but a buddy in my neighborhood has a couple, one of which he uses in his McLaren reproduction build (from scratch BTW). I'll find out if he's weighed one of them and report back.

Regardless, add at least 10 lbs for the 108mm CV's/axles more than modified 914 axles with 944 CVs. I don't remember the weight of a complete 914-4 axle/CV assembly.

I'm still using a 914 transaxle with the 3.6 so I don't have the double whammy of a heavier engine/transaxle combo... yet.

Since the extra weight is unavoidable, I've installed the fuel cell as far forward (in the front trunk) as possible and still accommodate the front cooler ducting, and the battery and fire bottle is up there as well. That makes the balance as close to my desired 50/50 as I can make it. Geez, I'd replace the headlight motors, but then I'd have to add weight to the front!

Good luck
Randal
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Jun 14 2013, 07:47 AM) *

If my 993 engine was out of the car I'd weight it, but it's lighter than stock because I've cut off or deleted a lot of auxiliary systems like power steering pump housing and gear, the AC compressor (and mounting bracket) the heater and intake vapor-evacuation blower motors, and even the cruise control. My flywheel/clutch/pressure plate assembly is light as well at ~19lbs total with the early push-type clutch and a PM 6.75-lb DME flywheel.

That said you have to add the weight of the large external oil cooling system that has to be added (no onboard cooler). In my case that means the -12 and -16AN lines and fittings, and two oil coolers with associated ductwork. I'd guess the 993 weighs at least 75 lbs more than the 2.7L before it, and there is an estimated additional 25 lbs of oil system... then there's the added 18 quarts of synthetic oil.

The 915's weigh about 125 lbs. The mag cased versions are a little lighter, but not more than 10 lbs. I don't have a 930 in the shop to weigh, but a buddy in my neighborhood has a couple, one of which he uses in his McLaren reproduction build (from scratch BTW). I'll find out if he's weighed one of them and report back.

Regardless, add at least 10 lbs for the 108mm CV's/axles more than modified 914 axles with 944 CVs. I don't remember the weight of a complete 914-4 axle/CV assembly.

I'm still using a 914 transaxle with the 3.6 so I don't have the double whammy of a heavier engine/transaxle combo... yet.

Since the extra weight is unavoidable, I've installed the fuel cell as far forward (in the front trunk) as possible and still accommodate the front cooler ducting, and the battery and fire bottle is up there as well. That makes the balance as close to my desired 50/50 as I can make it. Geez, I'd replace the headlight motors, but then I'd have to add weight to the front!

Good luck

Great information!

Do you have to run one of those big oil catch tanks (Peterson) with a 3.6?

pcar916
QUOTE(Randal @ Jun 14 2013, 10:09 AM) *

Do you have to run one of those big oil catch tanks (Peterson) with a 3.6?

I'm running a stock 914-6 tank in the stock location and the engine is a '95 'cause I didn't want to install the second computer, and didn't want carbs anymore on this car.

Frankly, it would be a better weight distribution if I put a big tank up front, there's room. But it was just simpler to do it with the existing tank. Done again, I would run -16AN lines rather than the -12AN's for the main lines. I just put this in another thread, but the -16 has roughly twice the cross-section and will move more oil. My front cooler is huge and has -16 fittings I've choked-down to -12. I use -16 for the tank/engine return line and it would be -20, except that room between the tank and the suspension/engine is really tight in a non-tube-frame car. Even at -16 that little segment cost ~$290 for line and mandrel-bent fittings. -20 would have been at least another $100 - $150 and in 1998 my budget wasn't that generous.

Still, this system has served me well since then since the only modification to it was to add another cooler in the high pressure liquid-oil console at the little filter. I may not have had to do that either if I'd been willing to put fans on the big cooler up front. The 993 alternator is just fine with it.

The 993 is a wonderful engine, and the tools for the '84 Carrera are (mostly) the same ones I use for this car... and although they are different, they're both DME's.

I'm off on a 600 mile round trip in an hour or so in this car. Gas, check the oil and tire pressures, pack the requisite tools, put the top in the trunk and drive!
pcar916
Randal, just reread the post. Are you talking about the overflow catch can?

If so then I posted mine in...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=209953

Otherwise, I stand by the previous post! beerchug.gif
bulitt
QUOTE(Randal @ Jun 13 2013, 01:58 PM) *

Weight of a (993) 3.6

Weight of a 915 transmission

Weight of a 930 transmission

Weight of a turbo subi

Weight of water/radiator for subi

You got it bad. The need for speed.
Randal
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Jun 16 2013, 04:56 AM) *

Randal, just reread the post. Are you talking about the overflow catch can?

If so then I posted mine in...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=209953

Otherwise, I stand by the previous post! beerchug.gif

One of the big oil tanks like the picture below. We had one mounted in the front of The Beast, which did help with weight balance.

Click to view attachment

Only negative is that you had to purge out any possible air pocket.
pcar916
The only thing I'd add, unless it's in the tank itself already, is defoaming baffles. That dry-sump oil pumped to the front is so darn foamy that it's cooling efficiency is a bit hindered.

Naturally the tank defoaming takes place downstream of the cooler when it should ideally happen upstream... not ideal. But I don't run one now so it must not be all that important to me!
pcar916
My neighbor's 930 trans weighed 121lbs plus the shift rods...

inverted, with a ~500hp dry sump V8 attached. Hand-built, 2300lb, mid-engine, tube-frame street car. But that's seriously OT!
Randal
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Jun 22 2013, 02:45 AM) *

My neighbor's 930 trans weighed 121lbs plus the shift rods...

inverted, with a ~500hp dry sump V8 attached. Hand-built, 2300lb, mid-engine, tube-frame street car. But that's seriously OT!

Tks for the weight
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.