Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sodium Valves
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
newdeal2
I had my heads rebuilt at a local [reputable] Porsche shop and the issue of sodium valves never came up. I purchased new ones from Pelican...now what's the skinny? Are these sure to fail and if so why are they even sold????

Hey Dave Darling...what's your take on this?
Jake Raby
You probably won't have an issue...

The reason we don't use them is because the cost Vs. return is just not there..

If and when you do have a failure, it will be dramatic compared to a normal valve failure. These valves literally explode when they fail and take a whole hell of alot with them.

The absolute best stainless valve on the market sells for less than the sodiums and its 4 grams lighter.

Tons of things are sold that are sure to fail, and a ton of them that have huge price tags- Until someone like me steps up and tells the truth alot of it never comes out. I don't mind pissing parts pushers off so its nuttin to me to tell ya what i think!
newdeal2
Your up late again Jake!

Interesting analogy...the upside is I won't miss it if one fails...BAM!!! Sounds like fun wink.gif

Wish me luck...I fire her up next weekend.
Dave_Darling
As Mueller said in one of the other threads on this subject--I'd bet that the main failures are in cases where the valves were re-used. Not with new valves.

They do work. Heck, there are some out there that ran for 250,000 miles! (I wouldn't try that with my own motor, but...) The SS valves are lighter and cheaper, though.

--DD
mattillac
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Nov 29 2004, 10:16 PM)

The absolute best stainless valve on the market sells for less than the sodiums and its 4 grams lighter.

where can you get the stainless valves?
Jake Raby
Try aircooled.net

The stainless valves will be easier to get real soon..... along with all that cool hard to find stuff!
Mueller
European Motorworks also has them....

I bought a set of 42mm and 36mm stainless valves from them for $12 each

John(?) from Aircooled has been very helpful in the past, I'd go to him first.
r_towle
so,
I recieved a newly rebuilt (done in the late 80's) motor from a well known local builder (now dead)

How would I be able to tell what kind of valves I have right now???

This motor has never been run, so any stampings etc will be visible.

Rich
mattillac
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 30 2004, 09:49 AM)
European Motorworks also has them....

I bought a set of 42mm and 36mm stainless valves from them for $12 each

John(?) from Aircooled has been very helpful in the past, I'd go to him first.

$12 bucks each ohmy.gif wow. i may actually be able to afford that. compared to the $250 set of the damn sodium filled valves. :finger2: dont they know i drive a 914-4? lol2.gif
Jake Raby
Like I said, sodium sucks and costs too much too!
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 30 2004, 11:56 AM)
How would I be able to tell what kind of valves I have right now???

Check the valve stem diameter. The SS valves often (not sure if always!) have a smaller diameter than the Na-filled ones. If the diameter is the same as the intake valve one, I believe you've got SS. If it's thicker, you probably (not definitely) have Na-filled.

If you pop the cylinder head off, there will be a dimple in the middle of the valve face where the sodium was injected.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.