Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: JP--Don't use rivets...use fasteners
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
JP

Here's some pics of the HPH front and rear F/G fenders.

I think it's better to dezus fasten the fenders on. You can take them off for maintenance and it's a whole lot easier to get to stuff....

Just my $9.14..... laugh.gif

Take a look....

Bill P.
nine14cats
And now the cut.....
nine14cats
And another...
nine14cats
And while you're at it....do the fronts as well...hell...it's only a couple more minutes with the sawzall.

You can do the paint job at home in the garage like I did....$198 total in materials.

Me a CSOB too!

Bill P.
Andyrew
How much are the flares? How big do they go?

Not on their web... considering them...
nine14cats
~$225 for the rears and ~$200 for the fronts....the come in track thickness (thin) and street (thicker). I actually use the thicker street ones for the track....they stand up better to my abuse.

Bill P.
J P Stein
Thanks for the pics, Bill.
At the ,moment (this changes hourly biggrin.gif ) the plan is to use stainless sheet metal screws with a nylon (kinda) dress type washer .....and lots of them. I have lots of room at the front & with the camber that Chris recommended (or uses) with Hoosier cants, I don't anticipate any clearance problems there....might not need a bigger spacer at the rear...and none at the front.

I could have done the metal stretch thingy. I had one out far enuff.....but I was unwilling to punish myself to make them look decent.....another 5000 whacks, minimum. The palm nailer worked good for shaping, but not for stretching....but maybe I didn't have the "touch". My hands told me it was time to move on to Plan B. I'll bet John Kelly can crush bowling balls in his bare hands laugh.gif
John Kelly
Hi JP,

My hands are no stronger than yours I'm guessing. It's all in the technique and taking a few breaks now and then. The "fixed panel shaping" method used on the big ass flare gets you way ahead on all that room needed for big tires. Sorry I could not finish the video fast enough to convince you....another one lost to the dreaded fiberglass! The palm nailer will do most of the work of stretching, and proper use of hammer and dolly does the rest. When you are hammering, hold the hammer loosely for the lumpy parts until you need a harder hit when the metal is getting smoother...saves the arms.

I've bought a proper computer and video camera so that I can make videos on my own from now on. Hopefully this will make things a bit faster for the next one.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
nine14cats
Hi JP,

From my experience running both Hoosiers and Goodyears, you "may" get a little rubbing on your front struts without a spacer. You will be running more camber than I was (no compromise) so that takes care of the fender clearance. But what I found is that under extreme deflection of the schlick...it would rub slightly. And on my car, it rubbed more on the passenger side than the driver side.

I ended up running a 22mm spacer up front with the HPH flares and a 43mm spacer out back with the HPH flares. With that combo I had no rubbing inside or out.

Have Fun! smilie_pokal.gif

Bill P.
airsix
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Nov 30 2004, 02:00 AM)
At the ,moment (this changes hourly biggrin.gif ) the plan is to use stainless sheet metal screws with a nylon (kinda) dress type washer .....and lots of them.

Sheetmetal screws? Eeewwww! JP, you worked at Boeing for how many years? I expected aircraft quality captured fasteners. confused24.gif (just kidding)

-Ben M.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.