Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A real 914 Garage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
I have this idea and I have talked about it with a few others and wanted to get an idea of any interest in it. Picture this, a nice shop located in Orange County that would hold maybe 8 to 10 cars with tools, compressor and maybe even a hoist and an office with computer and internet access, a bathroom and maybe even a small kitchen. A place where you could go work on your car and even leave it over night for a week or so while you get it worked on, You could work on it 24/7 and not worry about the neighbors complaining and do what ever you want to your cars. I figured that if about 4 or 5 people went in together on this, it would bring the cost down to within reason. We could have lockers to put your valuables in and parts. Like a Co-op 914 Club Garage. If someone broke down in OC, they could bring their car here and do the work on it themselves and have the assistance of others. Just like here. What do you all think???
Pnambic
With the affinity these cars apparently have for jackstands, I imagine those 8-10 stalls may fill up rather quick... wacko.gif rolleyes.gif wink.gif
jim_hoyland
Has this been done before? Sounds like a Europeon concept ? How about tying the concept in with an adjacent laundrymat / or bar with windows that look into the work area. ?
skline
Well, of course there would be rules, like the cars have to be able to move unless being worked on non stop. Like you cant bring your car in and leave it blocking someone elses in for any length of time. Again, its a co-op kind of thing, we are all working together to keep the cars on the road. And it would serve as a hang out for the guys when they need to get away from the house. It would also be heated so you could work at night year round.
redshift
It's not very close to me...

Ok, I'm in.

M
skline
It would be in a commecial/industrial area away from a residential area so noise would not be a problem. We could equip it however we feel needed. Including a fridge that we could stock with whatever we wanted.
Gustl
I would say this is a great idea. As far as I know the so called "914 Friends Bavaria" (Germany) realized this kind of "common garage" last year.
I've never been there, but they told me that's a fantastic thing.

Gustl
redshift
I feel like we are all kids again... a real clubhouse... just like on the little bastards.. err.. rascals.

m
sgomes
I don't mean to rain on your parade, buuuutttt.... They used to have those kind of shops all over the place up here in the bay area - back in the 70's. They all eventually closed due to liability insurance problems. I remember walking by one that had a car hanging by one wheel on the lift! unsure.gif
i love porsche
that sounds like a really good idea..how about on the other side!
boxstr
In the USA it's called a Safe House... biggrin.gif Hotrodders have been doing this for many years. It serves as a clubhouse and a place to work on your cars.
CCLINCAMP914
skline
Well, I thought about that too, for the people who are not the primary owners of the shop, there will be a liability release that they will sign. I figure we are all adults and most of us know what is safe and what is not. Plus there will most likely be someone else there to assist you with what you are doing.
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(skline @ Nov 30 2004, 07:19 AM)
Well, I thought about that too, for the people who are not the primary owners of the shop, there will be a liability release that they will sign. I figure we are all adults and most of us know what is safe and what is not. Plus there will most likely be someone else there to assist you with what you are doing.

Thats too funny. I use my project car as evidence. Not everybody knows what they are doing. Hell even I screw things up sometimes. My floor jack collapsed at the track a few months ago. Shit happens.
Military bases have this set up and seems to work fairly well. Snap-on is the major supplier for tools. There are racks and open stalls and then covered storage spots. Cars have to be stored out of work areas over night unless the special handshake deal is made ahead of time.
xsboost90
not a bad idea, it would be interesting to see how the ins. policy reads out. Who would foot the initial bill and how much would members pay? Hm, seems cool.
914GT
Make sure you put in for a liquor license. wink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(boxstr @ Nov 30 2004, 07:15 AM)
In the USA it's called a Safe House... :

biggrin.gif

brad's old shop in palo alto was like that ...
10000sf with kitchen, engine room, office and all.

gawd, i miss the place ...
sad.gif Andy
d7n7master
Sounds like a GREAT idea!!! smilie_pokal.gif
What do you suppose the monthly $$$ would total???
I'm interested - if I can afford it... blink.gif
Lou W
Orange County??? Why not Hemet??? biggrin.gif
Jenny
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 30 2004, 10:36 AM)
brad's old shop in palo alto was like that ...
10000sf with kitchen, engine room, office and all.

gawd, i miss the place ...
sad.gif Andy

agree.gif Ah, the good ol' days.

Jen
skline
QUOTE(Lou W @ Nov 30 2004, 10:46 AM)
Orange County??? Why not Hemet??? biggrin.gif

I'm not opposed to having it somewhere else, how many 914 members are in Hemet???

I already have one for sure, maybe two others who want to split a unit here in OC, so that is where I am looking at this point. If the unit is 1600 a month split up amongst 4 guys, that would be 400 a month each. If we got a few more, it would be less. $1600 a month would get a pretty nice size shop down here in the industrial area of Costa Mesa. I may even find one for less.
Eric_Shea
Miles... did you just use the word "Bastards"? unsure.gif
Elliot_Cannon
QUOTE(914GT @ Nov 30 2004, 11:27 AM)
Make sure you put in for a liquor license. wink.gif

And a pool. I want a pool next to it as well. And showers and a place to sleep. I retire soon and might need a place to stay.
Cheers, Elliot
i love porsche
actually...for any east coasters who may be interested in this idea....the place where i store my parts car is waiting to be rented out...its got alot of potential....
type11969
Aaron - what is the rent on that garage?

He is right, it does have a lot of potential. Any east coasteners interested? Hell, depending on the price, we could even just use it as a place to store parts cars. I know I could use a parts car right now (well more like I could use a roller and my current 914 is a parts car) but I don't have the space. We could strip the cars and sell the parts to offset rent costs.

-Chris
scotty914
well i am an east coaster but new jersey is an hour away, if i speed just to the bottom end of the turnpike
boxstr
Lou W How far is Hemet from Palm Desert, I know it is up or down 74. I have not been there yet. I would be interested in a garage for storage and working on cars in the Hemet/Palm Desert area. I would like a place for a hot rod and a Porsche.
One thing I do now is to store collector cars to help offset expenses, works out very well thank you.
CCLINDESERTGARAGE
Carl
it's a neat idea even if it is wishful thinking from a liability standpoint. But, while we're wishing, how about having it next to a track where the engine and suspension mods could be checked out?

rolleyes.gif
skline
The place I am looking at has a huge parking lot that is empty on weekends. Can you say, AX course???
Lou W
[/QUOTE]boxstr Posted on Nov 30 2004, 05:52 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lou W How far is Hemet from Palm Desert, I know it is up or down 74. I have not been there yet. I would be interested in a garage for storage and working on cars in the Hemet/Palm Desert area. I would like a place for a hot rod and a Porsche.
One thing I do now is to store collector cars to help offset expenses, works out very well thank you.
CCLINDESERTGARAGE[/QUOTE]
45 Minute drive from Palm Springs. You go west on the 10 Freeway, exit Hwy79 (Buemont) south, about 20 minutes south-east of the freeway. smile.gif
Carl
QUOTE(skline @ Nov 30 2004, 06:00 PM)
The place I am looking at has a huge parking lot that is empty on weekends. Can you say, AX course???

Um, sure. "AX course"
smile.gif
Brad Roberts
They wont pay... or they will pay late. If they are struggling to build their car in their garage/appartment/condo complex.. building it in paid storage space ...

Airplane guy's do this all the time. Neat idea. I like it..

B
boxstr
It is a "STORAGE" space, they do not work on cars in this space. Payment is for the period of storage time. If they are going to store it for 6 months, they pay $600 up front. I currently have 5 vehicles in storage.
CCLINSTOREITATCAMP
i love porsche
chris, i can find out the rent from my dad...ill get back with some more information..and i can get lots of pictures if needed
Type 4 Unleashed
WTF.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE(sgomes @ Nov 30 2004, 07:11 AM)
I don't mean to rain on your parade, buuuutttt.... They used to have those kind of shops all over the place up here in the bay area - back in the 70's. They all eventually closed due to liability insurance problems. I remember walking by one that had a car hanging by one wheel on the lift! unsure.gif

agree.gif I have lots of people who want to help on thier cars while at my shop. I just work out of my garage too. But just the liability of it freaks me out. So I keep most other peoples hands off while I work.

That would be a dream come true though! Imagine a place to hang out, work on 914's and BS all day/night. Wow! boldblue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.