Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hpx crank fire settings help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hars914
I installed the Electromotive HPX crank fire ignition on my 2.0E motor
and need to know what the best settings are.The motor is stock except for
weber 40's and headers. The installation book calls for 12 degrees initial,
24 degrees at 3000 and -2 at 8000. For you guys that have this setup what do
you recommend. This car will be run on the street.
TimT
I havent played with Electromotive ignitions for awhile, so I dug out the instructions for an older electromotive ignition system..

the advance during cranking is a funstion of the toothed wheel. ie how many teeth after the missing teeth

the initial advance should be between 10-12 deg.. this is good till 1000 rpm. I know thats more than the 5 deg idle timing we see on 911's

after 1000rpm the HPX adds timing to the initial timing so if you start with 12 then add 24 you have 36 total degrees of advance at 3000 rpm.

the 8000 degree settings either adds or removes timing -2 would be 36+(-2)= 34 deg of timing. if it were +2 then total advance could be 38 deg.

Porsche specs the 2.0E at 30 deg advance at 6000 rpm

Full advance is confirmed at 6000rpm, but I think full advance occurs much sooner than that.. ie around 3000

Having mor initial advance isnt bad thing.. it gives more hp at idle, it can smooth the idle if you have a light flywheel

I dont remember what we set our cars with when we used electromotive ignitions but you try 10 deg initial, 20 deg @3000, 0 deg @8000 and see how it drives..

Also measure the advance, the little trimpots on the HPX are really sensitive. It takes 2 people, someone holds the throttle steady, and someone with a timing light adjusts the 3000 trimpot (while the engine is held at 6000 rpm)
hars914
Thanks Tim, That was a very big help. I will try those settings
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.