Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Radio Installation Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
gcrotvik
I have purchased a model year correct Blaupunkt radio for my 74 restoration. It comes with the stock faceplate and later style (black plastic, not chrome) dial bezel. I have looked at many pictures of 73 and 74 914's and most cars that have a period correct radio have the radio mounted with the chrome bezel in the "through-the-dash" style. From an aesthetics perspective, I prefer the stock face plate that comes with the 74 Blaupunkt.

So here is my question, from a pure concourse judging perspective, which installation method (through the dash or using the stock faceplate) will be judged as most accurate in my 74 restoration?

See the sample pictures below for clarification.

Thanks,

Greg
JeffBowlsby
You *sure* thats is correct for a 74 Greg? The typeface looks like the later 75-76 versions
orthobiz
There were so many radios that dealers supplied that I think it is difficult to say what is right and wrong. I did a similar installation like you show with the Blaupunkt face plate. Somehow even if it isn't incorrect, I'll be the impression of the judges will be more favorable if you have the more common through-the-faceplate mounting.

But I agree with Jeff, it looks like a later radio design. Is there a date on the case?

Paul
gcrotvik
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 17 2013, 04:49 PM) *

You *sure* thats is correct for a 74 Greg? The typeface looks like the later 75-76 versions

Hi Jeff,

Yes, that's a 76. I was using it as a sample to show the front bezel and standard faceplate. Sorry for the confusion! My radio looks just like the Blaupunkt listed on your site for the 74. It has the Blaupunkt logo in the center line to the right with the word Stereo at a 90 degree angle. It's actually the same radio in style from 72 to 74.

So, while we are here, faceplate or no faceplate?

Thanks for the feedback.

Greg
gcrotvik
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Jun 17 2013, 06:24 PM) *

There were so many radios that dealers supplied that I think it is difficult to say what is right and wrong. I did a similar installation like you show with the Blaupunkt face plate. Somehow even if it isn't incorrect, I'll be the impression of the judges will be more favorable if you have the more common through-the-faceplate mounting.

But I agree with Jeff, it looks like a later radio design. Is there a date on the case?

Paul

Hi Paul,

I know you are busy with Parade prep, but when you get a moment, if you could post a picture of your radio that would be great. I looked in your radio thread but there were no final install pictures there.

Thanks,

Greg
orthobiz
IPB Image

IPB Image

Period correct but through the dash is better!

Paul
gcrotvik
Thanks Paul,

It looks good with the stock Blaupunkt faceplate but I'd have to agree, through the dash is better. Your 2 pictures just saved me some work. I don't need to do both installs to see which I like better.

I owe you big. Thanks.

Greg
scotty b
My 73 911 with the original radio for comparison.
Johny Blackstain
The 1975 Blaupunkt in my 74 LE...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.