Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any experience with Scat S/P heads?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jwalters
huh.gif Does anyone have any experience with the Scat Split Port haeds??? ( those are the ones that each cylinder has its own individual head) confused24.gif

The reason I am asking is I have a possible opportunity to pick up a set for about 1K--bramd new, valves and all.

I am sure someone has the skinny on this----------
beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
Aaron Cox
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
type11969
Pretty sure they had rocker shaft oiling problems along with cylinder to head sealing issues requiring a good deal of machining to get right. I know Jake has delat with them and doesn't have much good to say about them in right out of the box condition. Perhaps improvements have been made??
Mueller
do a search here and on shoptalkforums...pictures and what faults the heads have....

Jake does not like them, some people have had good luck with them.....
jwalters
wink.gif Aaron, if you want pics go to the Scat website---- w00t.gif
rhilgers
I think mine was the last set Jake would ever work on.

Scat has no idea what they are selling.

The heads are cut for type1s no matter how they are ordered.
Custom pushrods are required.
Machining cylinders are required.
yada yada yada

IDF manifolds are not available for the type 4. IDA only and they are TALL.

I paid the same for mine.. Jake was very kind not to charge me actual hours on modifications.
$1,000 is too high since you will be in them at least another $1500 in mods.

That being said they flow like mad.

Pics are on Jakes site
http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/custome...rs/theysay.html

-Rich Hilgersom
jwalters
icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif
ruddyboys
I can definatly see a problem with manifold and exhaust lining up.
Jake Raby
The design is horrible. The machining sucks. They are more trouble than they are worth AND they leak oil like a sieve...

rhilgers is correct, the set I used on his engine is the last set I will ever use- That was like 4 years ago....

SCAT says they have no issues with them, and no one ever has had a problem! Only way thatwould be true is if they were never installed!

BTW, they do flow nice and have awesome port margins, but after you whack of a whopping .330" of material just so they'll fit a TIV cylinder you lose one complete fin and they only had 5 to begin with!

Someone would have to PAY ME to take a set of them off their hands!

Reasons like this is why I'm making myown heads.
jwalters
ohmy.gif Again , thanks again for the great info--- beer.gif
Jake Raby
Yeah....
Someone called Scat and told them what I said....

They called me yesterday whining and I had to lock them on! That guy really should not have made that call!

In this world of pussyfoot pansies freedom of speech on car parts isn't even accepted!
jwalters
happy11.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif You have got to be freaking kidding me!!!!! lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif That is soooo rude. I am a very strong advocate of the 1st amendment, hell I am in the military, I fight for it, but at the same time, just because you have a general right to say anything, does not mean you SHOULD. That is what stirrs hate a discontent--and makes the world so "f "d up at times. Well Jake my man, I hope you truely got the setting straight with them, how they could improve thier product and all... w00t.gif

And to whoever did this malicious act: This forum is for the sharing of information, opinions, and experiences, whether good or bad or neutral. If someone is upsetting this code of ethics, for whatever reason--And do not stop thier malevolent behavior, I hope you are found out and answer for your mis-deeds. chair.gif If this was just a one time mix-up, be a man, admit that a mistake was made, and we can all go in peace smoke.gif
Aaron Cox
10 bucks says it was alfred alfred.gif slap.gif :finger2:
Jake Raby
Yeah, that prick called Porsche about my logo and got me in hot water....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.