Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steve's '73 Guards Red, Raby 2316 Powered
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sgetsiv
I've owned this car for about 5 years now and made many improvements. Here's a current photo from WCR 2013...
Click to view attachment

Other than the Raby engine build, I've done all the work myself in my garage, including painting. I have a few progress photos to post of the painting process - and I plan to document exactly what products I used and most of what I learned in the painting process.

Most of the remaining items to do are minor but it will probably take more than a few months to get everything done to perfection.
sgetsiv
Here's a shot before primer - I stripped the un-catalyzed enamel off the car with lacquer thinner and solvent. Once I got down to primer and realized I had a mix of original primer and paint in some places and at least 2 coats of unknown primer in other places, I decided that taking it down to bare metal or bondo made the most sense. I used an air powered block sander from Harbor Freight and an air powered DA sander - also from Harbor Freight - to take off all those layers of primer.
Click to view attachment
mrbubblehead
is your car an LE? i dont see any holes for the sail trim. no evidence of the holes ever being there....
NORD

Keep the updates coming Steve, You've got a nice car with a BAD motor. driving.gif
McMark
No LE's in 73. Just a non-appearance group car. Steve, looking forward to seeing all the pics. Keep it coming.
rhodyguy
one bad ass engine. screamin' machine!
Jake Raby
Thats one of my all time favorite engine combinations. Thats a mirror image of the engine that I had in my old 914.

Glad to see that its still doing what its supposed to do after several years.
sgetsiv
Jake, you would be glad to know that the super-cool CHT device I got from Chris at Tangerine reports consistent cool cylinder head temperatures. Even on 85-90 degree days with 1-2 hours of 4K-5K rpm the max I get is around 290 degrees. I have only seen 300 a couple times and that's when I am pushing it to the max.
JRust
I had the pleasure of riding with Steve for a morning at WCR. His car is great & the the power was awesome. Loved the feel of his type4 going through the gears. Nice solid torque curve & lots of power. Sweet combo wub.gif
sgetsiv
Here's another shot before paint...

Click to view attachment

The rear trunk was air block sanded with 180 grit. Took a couple hours to get it flat - and that's before primer and two guide coats.
sgetsiv
Here's some shots to show the rear truck after wet sanding and polishing - came out pretty nice. It's not dead flat but pretty damn good. The quarters and doors have not been color sanded yet and you can easily see the ripple.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Hammy
Steve - Your car stood out to me in the WCR photos i skimmed through. I really love the red paint, and the wheel/tire combo looks fantastic. What kind of wheels are those? And tire size/brand?
Great narrow body look. aktion035.gif
6freak
real nice car and i like the painted sail panels and black valances,rocker panels! looks tuff ..then again I am kinda found of Guards Red first.gif

smile.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(6freak @ Jun 20 2013, 09:41 AM) *

real nice car and i like the painted sail panels and black valances,rocker panels! looks tuff ..then again I am kinda found of Guards Red first.gif

smile.gif

agree.gif Even though guards red has fallen out of favor with a lot of the 911 crowd, I think it looks right on a 914. I love all the collors on a teener but I think because my first one was red, that's what I think of when I picture a 914.

Steve's car looks great!
sgetsiv
The wheels are Keizer Aluminum Racing Wheels, 15 x 7.5. Tires are Kumho Ecsta XS in 205/50-15. I think I could get 225's on the rear without any rubbing.

Paint is PPG Deltron DBU base coat ($600 per gallon) and PPG Deltron DCU2021 clear coat ($300 per gallon). Not cheap but has fantastic depth of color.

Guards red with black accents is just a fantastic combo.
Robert21
Love Guards Red. Had my painted 10 years ago.
6freak
almost make me want to paint the rockers, valances black. sweet car! hope to meet her some day...what front valance?.i didnt see a good picture of that
smile.gif
sixnotfour
That is My favorite 914 at the WCR...sounded beefy
sgetsiv
Click to view attachment

WCR 2013...
6freak
Looks like an LE style ...Nice
smile.gif
TargaToy
QUOTE(sgetsiv @ Jun 21 2013, 02:26 AM) *

The wheels are Keizer Aluminum Racing Wheels, 15 x 7.5.

Did you have to custom order from Keizer? If so, do you remember the specs you selected?
sgetsiv
I bought them from Chris P. in Northern Cal about 2 years ago. I think he was using them for AX as well. He had them set up by Rich at High Performance House - there is a 5" back space on all of them and weight is 10.5-11.0 pounds each.
ChrisFoley
I'd be nervous about using such a light weight wheel on the road.
The rims will bend easily if you hit a pothole or other road hazard.
If you ever have a flat tire but can't find a nail or other cause, spray soapy water on the center section of the wheel around the bolts, etc. The seal at the 3 piece assembly is somewhat delicate.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.