Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Boxster stalling out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stuttgart46
I've got a '98 Boxster that is acting up. It had been running fine but lately when it gets to 180 degrees it just stalls out. Almost like a vapor lock from my first 914. I have replaced the fuel filter, Crank Position Sensor and cleaned the MAF but it is still doing the same thing. It's as if it hits a kill switch at exactly 180 degrees.
Any suggestions would be apprecited.
Woody
Any codes?
stuttgart46
The CEL is off because I disconnected the battery while replacing the crank position sensor. I don't have a code reader unfortunately.
I have a buddy at Autozone that may try to bring his reader by the house to check it out. I'll post the results if he comes by.
stuttgart46
I wish you were a little closer Woody. There aren't any good shops in Houston any more.
Woody
I'd just throw some Webers on it. poke.gif You may want to pull the throttle body and take off the idle air control circuit. It may be plugged up with carbon. That will certainly cause issues similar to what you're seeing.
Woody
It looks like this, the black thingy.

Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(stuttgart46 @ Jun 19 2013, 08:05 AM) *

I've got a '98 Boxster that is acting up. It had been running fine but lately when it gets to 180 degrees it just stalls out. Almost like a vapor lock from my first 914. I have replaced the fuel filter, Crank Position Sensor and cleaned the MAF but it is still doing the same thing. It's as if it hits a kill switch at exactly 180 degrees.
Any suggestions would be apprecited.

post that on the www.986forum.com, or pelican - I have a 2001 S 986, and usually have answers to my questions fairly fast over there. i have not seen what you describe but 180 is when the thermostat kicks on , right? maybe something to do with that? - buy a code reader for $100, see if anyting pops up.

Phil
stuttgart46
Thanks guys. I tried 986 Forum. It's like crickets over there.
I'll pull the throttle body tonight when I get home. And clean the air control circuit.
ThePaintedMan
Is the fan coming on at all when this happens? Not sure what temp the fan(s) are programmed to come on for a Boxster...

A new thermostat would be a decent place to start.
Woody
Never seen a faulty thermostat cause a Boxster to stall.
stuttgart46
Me neither. Typically it would just run hot.
But I appreciate the input.
ThePaintedMan
agree.gif

But, I have seen a faulty thermostat cause an Accord to stall/no restart. I believe it was a fail-safe mechanism to keep from overheating or continuing to run an overheated car. The temps on the dash said everything was okay, but thermostat was definitely bad and the computer was sensing either pressure in the system or a temperature differential before and after the thermostat, and shutting the car down. Not sure if Boxsters have a similar system.

Do you know when it was changed last? It's at least a cheap place to start if you don't know it's condition.
ThePaintedMan
You can get a Bluetooth OBDII scanner on Ebay cheap. Then buy an app like Torque which will allow you to scan the codes. Or rent/borrow the scanner from Autozone. Codes will at least point you in the right direction.

I did find this however:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/boxster-cay...-when-warm.html

It might be coincidence that it happens at 180 degrees, but a failing fuel pump can act up more once it's gotten hot. However, I thought most of the time they just died.
Cupomeat
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jun 19 2013, 10:57 AM) *

You can get a Bluetooth OBDII scanner on Ebay cheap. Then buy an app like Torque which will allow you to scan the codes. Or rent/borrow the scanner from Autozone. Codes will at least point you in the right direction.

I did find this however:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/boxster-cay...-when-warm.html

It might be coincidence that it happens at 180 degrees, but a failing fuel pump can act up more once it's gotten hot. However, I thought most of the time they just died.

Good Find, and I know it has nothing to do with it, but my old 84.5 Scirocco used to have a stalling issue when hot and it turned out to be clogging of the transfer pump in the tank. Worked great when cold, then crappy as soon as it got to operating temp. Obviously, it is a different system but all engines need fuel.
stuttgart46
Still waiting to scan but I cleaned the throttle body last night. It was pretty gnarly so I'm glad I did it.
I ran the car up to 180 degrees and it stalled out. I noticed that the fuel pump relay was getting hot. I'll try to hunt one down today and replace it tonight. Also, I noticed the electric fans were not coming on. Does anybody know what temp these engage?
Thanks again.
Woody
QUOTE(stuttgart46 @ Jun 20 2013, 06:56 AM) *

Still waiting to scan but I cleaned the throttle body last night. It was pretty gnarly so I'm glad I did it.
I ran the car up to 180 degrees and it stalled out. I noticed that the fuel pump relay was getting hot. I'll try to hunt one down today and replace it tonight. Also, I noticed the electric fans were not coming on. Does anybody know what temp these engage?
Thanks again.

Did you take off the IAC servo on the side of the throttle body? The fans should come on between 180 -190 but should also run all the time if you have the AC on. Do you have a fuel pressure guage?
ThePaintedMan
Yeah.. I was going to suggest that. Have you been doing this test with the A/C on? If it's the fans tripping a relay or for whatever reason causing the car to stall, the A/C should automatically cause it as the fans on almost all cars come on when the A/C is on.

As Woody said, a fuel pressure gauge would help as well. You can loan one from Autozone - their kit is very professional and helped me diagnose a dying fuel pump on my Mustang.
stuttgart46
I do have a fuel pressure gauge that a buddy let me borrow but I was told that removing the caps to gain access to the fuel system would require me replacing all of them.
The A/C was on last night but no fans. I didn't check the fuse for the fans as it was dark by the time I discovered they weren't coming on.
stuttgart46
I did take the servo off while I was clean the throttle body. I reinstalled it afterwards. The contacts looked to be in good shape.
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(stuttgart46 @ Jun 20 2013, 09:36 AM) *

I do have a fuel pressure gauge that a buddy let me borrow but I was told that removing the caps to gain access to the fuel system would require me replacing all of them.
The A/C was on last night but no fans. I didn't check the fuse for the fans as it was dark by the time I discovered they weren't coming on.

I've never worked on a Boxster, so I'm not sure what caps you're referring to, but there should be a schrader valve/access port of some sort on the fuel rails to test for pressure. As soon as the key is turned to 'run" the system should pressurize and stay that way. As the car is started, the pressure will fluctuate a little based on the engine's desire, but it should still hold pressure, I would imagine 35 psi +.

However, based on what you said about the fans, it sounds sounds like that's the next step then, or area to look into. Process of elimination. Check the relays/fuses first. If they are blown, replacing them might solve the problem, but it usually indicates that there is another issue to look into. Cars with modern wiring don't go blowing fuses for no reason, IMHO.
stuttgart46
Thanks George. Just being able to bounce this stuff off of you guys and get feedback is comforting.
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(stuttgart46 @ Jun 20 2013, 09:51 AM) *

Thanks George. Just being able to bounce this stuff off of you guys and get feedback is comforting.

No problem. I feel the same way. I'm in no way an expert and certainly not a Porsche authorized mechanic, but I've learned a lot about troubleshooting over the past few years as I work on more and more types of cars. The one thing that they all have in common is that they're getting more and more complicated smile.gif

Edit:
I'm adding this link for my own reference (so I don't forget where I got it), once we know what the status of the relays/fuses are.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/boxster-cay...ot-working.html
Woody
The fuel test port has a brass cap that screws on. It is supposed to be replaced upon removal but you should be okay reusing it. As for the fans, they have resistors that are failure prone.
ThePaintedMan
Woody, good call on the resistors. The Pelican article I posted also mentions the DME relay as a potential source for problems. I know, from what T.C. tells me, that those things go bad all the time on the later AC 911s. Surprised they're still using them in Boxsters!

Any update stuttgart? I love troubleshooting over the web... so much easier than climbing underneath the car smile.gif
stuttgart46
Yesterday was the wife's b-day so no progress.
I'm hoping to spend some time on it tomorrow.
I'll post updates and more questions ASAP.
Thanks again for all the input.
Chad
ThePaintedMan
Ah, that was the other thing I was wondering. Nice to know your name Chad. Good luck!
Woody
Any updates?
BajaXJ92
QUOTE(Woody @ Jun 24 2013, 12:26 PM) *

Any upadates?

Fixed.
carr914
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jun 21 2013, 08:18 AM) *

Ah, that was the other thing I was wondering. Nice to know your name Chad. Good luck!

George, Chad used to be part of the Tampa Brat Pack!
patssle
QUOTE(stuttgart46 @ Jun 19 2013, 04:58 AM) *

I wish you were a little closer Woody. There aren't any good shops in Houston any more.

There's Rennsport out in Sealy and European Cars Limited near I-10 inside the loop - I've used both. Rennsport is very highly recommended by everybody (Mike Callas - he does a lot of the aircooled as well) and didn't hear any bad things about ECL.
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 24 2013, 10:19 PM) *

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jun 21 2013, 08:18 AM) *

George, Chad used to be part of the Tampa Brat Pack!

aktion035.gif Too bad he's not still around. Would be nice to "test drive" the car to see if I, you know, could replicate the problem smile.gif

The Tampa Brat Pack. Love it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.