Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil in Intake Plenum
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nozzle
While trouble shooting idle stability issues I pulled the throttle body and found what looks some kind of fluid pooling in the bottom of the intake plenum. Engine is a completely stock '73 2.0 D-Jet with all EFI components and hoses installed.

Here's a before picture:

Click to view attachment

And here's what it looked like after a ~40 mile test drive:

Click to view attachment

The fluid looks green tinted like the Brad Penn I run in the engine and smells like oil/fuel so I'm assuming it's oil. Before the test drive I disconnected the Cold Start Valve just to make sure it couldn't be raw fuel from a leaking valve. I had also cleaned the PCV as well as I could. The PCV unit is at least 25 years and 25K miles old but I can't find a replacement anywhere. Vacuum lines are about 4 years old and seem to still be in good condition.

Questions; Is this oil pooling normal? If not what can I do about it?

Thanks,

John
SLITS
The PCV valve on the oil filler assembly is attached via hose to the stacked elbow on the plenum on a '73. You can look at:

1.) The PCV valve is not operating correctly as the valve inside is not restricting vacuum.

2.) You overfilled the engine oil

3.) The engine is worn and there is a lot of blow-by.

You could hook the hose to the air cleaner to lessen the vacuum effect. This I have seen done on a lot of cars either on purpose or in error.

r_towle
Option 1 and 3
Nozzle
The engine has about 30K miles on the rebuild so I'm thinking (and hoping) it's not time for another. If that is the case, does anyone know a reliable source for a new PCV unit?
914itis
QUOTE(Nozzle @ Jun 22 2013, 11:25 AM) *

The engine has about 30K miles on the rebuild so I'm thinking (and hoping) it's not time for another. If that is the case, does anyone know a reliable source for a new PCV unit?

popcorn[1].gif
McMark
Porsche.
r_towle
Compression test and leak down test will tell you how much blow by you may have.

If you are pushing oil into the intake, you may have too much crank case pressure.

Lots of ways to vent the crank case, so it may just require some work on that side first.

Go for a new PVC valve first.

Rich
914_teener
Mark....these are available from the factory?

I called Rusnak in Pasadena a couple of months ago and was told NLA.
Nozzle
Unfortunately I was told they were unavailable at Porsche of Arlington in DC as well. Has anyone found PCV replacements at dealerships?
type47
look for part number 022 115 451 B and don't be surprised if the part is called a bleeder or bleeding biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.